Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 1907 times)

pelago

Oil leak
« on: December 23, 2019, 05:04:46 pm »
The mechanics told me while he changed the cog there came out oil. The Speedhub works normally but should I be worried? Shall I change the oil normally as before or is it unnecessary now?

geocycle

Re: Oil leak
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 06:04:07 pm »
If you remove the sprocket some oil will escape unless the wheel is horizontal. The question is how much. If a lot was lost then an oil change is sensible. There is likely to be enough coverage of the innards of the hub to avoid damage in the short term.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 03:03:45 pm »
I did some work on my Rohloff wheel a year or two ago, for a while my wheel was on it's side, several drops of oil dripped out.  I do not recall which side it dripped out of with certainty.  My point is that if the mechanic left the wheel on the side, then took a break and came back and found some drops, sounds like my wheel and I think that is normal.

Also, I lost a lot of oil out of my hub before I took a trip in 2016.  I changed the oil just before the trip.  Packed my bike in an S&S case.  Two flights to get to the destination (thus, the air pressure changes associated with flight), the case likely was sitting on its side some of that time.  And quite a bit of oil leaked out very soon after I started riding again. 

This year when I took a trip, I drained my hub and did the cleaning oil rinse.  But did not refill the oil until I arrived at my destination.  I had less leakage this trip.

Some leakage is normal, I have never drained out as much oil as I put into the hub.  I have never observed drops of oil on the floor where I store my bike, but some Rohloff owners have.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 03:05:51 pm by mickeg »

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 06:42:19 pm »
Oil "mists out" all the time, possibly enough for drips on the floor at the change of seasons, heating coming on and off, etc. That is the reason you don't get as much oil out at the annual or 5000km change as you put in. Under almost any circumstances short of immersing the Rohloff in water, for instance by riding through a stream over the hub, there will be enough oil in it to cover all the gears in a thin film, which will be enough to protect it at least in the short term.

Some external oil is natural. If the Rohloff were built to be oil- and air- and water-tight, it would be too heavy for bicycle use.

However, in your case, where you were not present to see how much oil emerged, I would argue differently. The Rohloff is an expensive component, so it is as well to change the oil after any threatening event, like an immersion, or perhaps after an oil loss of unknown magnitude, as this one appears to be. The opportunity cost could be £1000+ for a new Rohloff; the cost of reducing the uncertainty and achieving peace of mind is under £20. Since the hub "works normally", it is not panic stations: an oil change as soon as is convenient will probably be good enough.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:12:14 am by Andre Jute »

PH

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 11:47:50 am »
This is why it's a good idea to bulk buy the oil, the cost per change becomes minimal and you can just do it on a whim.  Chances are your hub will be absolutely fine, but if you have the oil it's a small price for 100% reassurance.