Author Topic: had a bit of a wobble on my RST  (Read 4126 times)

ians

had a bit of a wobble on my RST
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:44:57 pm »
I've had it for 86 days now and thought I'd share my thoughts about it - especially as I began to wonder at the weekend if I'd done the right thing in buying it.  I'm not unhappy with it - just unsure about it - or I was.

I've not been able to ride it much since June but on sunday did a charity bike ride which was far more testing than I expected.  Most of the ride was on cycle paths/ towpaths - but poorly surfaced ones at that.  On tarmac the bike is a revelation - fast, comfortable and fun to ride (high grin factor).  But off tarmac it was twitchy and I found myself hanging on for dear life at times.

Now this is down to a number of factors - some people tend to treat charity rides as a race and it's hard not to get swept along.  So I was probably riding faster over the difficult surfaces that I might otherwise have done.  But it made me wonder whether or not I should have gone for the Raven Tour instead.

I've been ill for the past two years and am not as fast or as fit as I used to be.  But I know how to ride a bike - how to shift my weight around, how to flex my arms/elbows etc - so I thought perhaps it was the bike not me.  

I didn't give tyres much thought when I spec'd the bike and went for the Pasela 1.5".  On tarmac they are fine - I'm constantly staggered just how quick they make the bike.  But I probably had them at too high a pressure for the non-tarmac sections.  And I began to worry that I might 'damage' the bike.  This is probably highly irrational - I remember Nick Crane and his cousin riding to Mongolia on Raleigh road bikes, where they drilled holes in just about every part of the bike to save weight.

Once I'm fit again I'll be doing day rides and light touring and routes like the C2C (where some of it is off tarmac).  I don't need a fast bike - but I don't need an expedition bike either.

Anyway to cut to the chase - I emailed SJS last night and explained all this.  I got a very quick and helpful response from Andy Blance this morning.  First of all he said "You need have no fear travelling such a route with the RST…it is exactly the sort of thing the bike excels at!"  Secondly, he would have spec'd 1.75" tyres for me and my situation.  So - a change of tyres (and a little less air) would seem to solve my problem.  Which was nice.

I love the bike and am mightily relieved that I bought it from someone who understands that I'm parting with a lot of money and need to get it right.  And also someone who would have been prepared to change the frame if need be.  

I hope this is of help to anyone stuck in that "what bike should I get?" syndrome.  I know some people think Thorn bikes are ugly - well my Citroen BX was ugly - but a fantastic car.  My RST is beautiful - and If I knew how to post a photo I'd share it with you.

Ian

PS.  Now here's the irony.  I decided to try out the 'less air over the rough bits' theory this afternoon.  It really worked - the bike was much more comfortable and stable than on sunday.  I felt the RST really can take the rough with the smooth.  Then 10 miles into a 15 mile circuit I got a p***ture in the rear.  So I also discovered that the lighter weight of the RST is a real bonus when you have to push it 5 miles home.

Fred A-M

Re: had a bit of a wobble on my RST
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:34:54 pm »
Hi Ian

I think what you describe as "twitchiness" is merely the responsiveness of the bike: on my first tour with the RST, I found it alarmingly responsive (or wobbly!) on fast downhill stretches where I was exposed to wind and likewise wondered if this was supposed to be so: conversely though, I found the RST fine off-road (at my own pace), and that was with 1.5 panracers too.  

Now fully accustomed to the characteristics of the RST with many more miles under my belt, I no longer give this "responsiveness" a second thought other than to occassionally marvel at the ease with I manage to out-manouever London's potholes!

ians

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:41:56 pm »
Hi Fred

I spent a lot of time last night reading about your trip to the Picos de Europe - which was very reassuring.  

Most of my riding over the next 6 months will be close to home (mix of tarmac and gravel) plus commuting so will change to Schwalbe Marathons (1.75") for a while.  Interestingly Andy B suggested that Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (2") would fit the RST - probably need new mudguards though.  

Ian

freddered

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:47:51 pm »
I just fitted Schwalbe Marathon 1.75" to an old MTB I converted to a rugged general purpose bike, the tyres are absolutely superb, I highly recommend them (only £14 each if you shop around).

I wouldn't like to use them on wet dirt like a true MTB tyre but on broken tarmac, gravel or dry tracks I think they would excel.  

I have the 1.5" version on my RT and they are pretty quick also.

FYI....(we all like a nice photo don't we....?)

1.75"

1.5"

ians

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 10:55:09 pm »
nice pics - especially like the Saracen - reminds me of my old Muddy Fox Courier - must be about the same era - mid 80s?

Thanks for the tip about the marathons.

ian

Fred A-M

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 11:41:56 pm »
I agree with Freddered ref Marathons: only 1 puncture on 7 tours with them.  I'd say 1.5 are probably sufficient but that depends on not straying from gravel or not experiencing muddy conditions: equally, I'd suggest that 2" is possibly excessive for your needs if you want to retain the speedier characteristics of the RST.

freddered

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 09:18:52 am »
oo-errr Muddy Fox Courier...memories..memories.  In fact the Saracen is circa 1995.  Geometry is old-skool like the courier, long rear stays compared to a modern MTB so it makes a pretty nice general purpose bike (although it's still fairly twitchy).

In 1987 I had a choice between a Muddy Fox Courier and a British Eagle Touristique, I bought the Touristique because the Courier was the first MTB I had ever seen and I knew it would be a passing fad.  Having intuition like that is why I haven't made my fortune on the Stock Market.

Price of Courier in 1987 - £285 (same as Touristique).  When you think about it, that's a hell of a price and would get you a better spec bike today (in fact, my better spec GT cost me £169 new this year).

PS.  I'd prefer the 1.75" over the 1.5" if I was riding on rougher roads,tracks.  They are still pretty quick but are noticibly 'comfier'.

The Touristique ???????

Still got it 20 years later so I made the right choice.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:26:59 am by freddered »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 12:16:24 pm »
Hi ians,
I am sure that with a change of tyres things will look different.  You still have a 10+ days before your no 100 days are up.  If I were you I'd get a set of 1.75" Schwalbe Marathons on the bike today and then this weekend ride the exact same route as you did last weekend.  By Monday I bet you mind will be at ease. Let us know how you get on.

Best of luck.

NB I normally ride 1.25" tyres on my mk1 RST which I find great even on gravel paths. If I am going off-road however I fit a 1.95” my understanding was that the mk2 RST won’t take a tire that big however Andy B must know better!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 12:18:20 pm by stutho »

ians

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 12:49:44 pm »
Hi Stu

thanks for this.  The 1.75" marathons are 47-559 - the 1.75" paselas are 42-559 and the 1.5" marathons are 40-559.  I'm not sure if I'd get the mudguard clearance with the 1.75" marathons - I have the 45mm SKS guards.

ian

freddered

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 05:36:55 pm »
FYI, I have large 65mm SKS mudguards fitted so I can fit MTB tyres if I want.

ians

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 11:56:00 am »
here's the wobble in question - Cancer Research bike ride September 2nd;

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:00:41 pm by ians »