Author Topic: Sport Tour + S&S Couplings - How Compact?  (Read 1628 times)

KimBowers

Sport Tour + S&S Couplings - How Compact?
« on: September 04, 2007, 06:00:29 pm »
Hi All,

I’m looking at a Raven Sport Tour with S&S couplings.
It seems the ideal all-round bike for me.
I’d like to be able to squeeze it into a small car boot space occasionally (80cmx60cmx30cm).
I know that Thorn sell a case that is around this size, so it could be possible - I don't need the case.
I’m not looking for a fast fold, so removing wheels, seat tube and bars is okay for me.

Has anyone any approx dimensions for a dismantled RST or other S&S equipped Thorn bike please ?

Thanks,
Kim.

julk

Re: Sport Tour + S&S Couplings - How Compact?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:36:37 pm »
Kim,
The use of an S&S hard case assumes you split the bike into pieces which fit in with the wheels. It then involves stacking the pieces carefully into the 65 x 65 x 25 cm space, using padding where necessary to avoid scratching and other damage in transit. Follow the link for lots of packing examples and to get an idea where the tight spots may be in your boot space.
http://www.sandsmachine.com/index.html#pack

With a boot space of 80 x 60 x 30 cm the 60cm dimension is less than ideal and, as a result, there are some areas which may involve a bit more bike dismantling.

The wheels at 26" tyre size are more like 65 x 65 cm, so will not easily fit into the 80 x 60 cm space along with the rest of the bike. You may have to deflate the tyres and possibly remove them as well.

Most other items will fit easily into your boot space, but the front section of frame with the forks left in will likely be a tight fit. It will depend on the frame size you have.

I hope this helps and that you have much fun with your RST S&S.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:38:25 pm by julk »

bike_the_planet

Re: Sport Tour + S&S Couplings - How Compact?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:59:02 am »
quote:
Originally posted by KimBowers

Hi All,

I’m looking at a Raven Sport Tour with S&S couplings.
It seems the ideal all-round bike for me.
I’d like to be able to squeeze it into a small car boot space occasionally (80cmx60cmx30cm).
I know that Thorn sell a case that is around this size, so it could be possible - I don't need the case.
I’m not looking for a fast fold, so removing wheels, seat tube and bars is okay for me.

Has anyone any approx dimensions for a dismantled RST or other S&S equipped Thorn bike please ?

Thanks,
Kim.

I have a Thorn Nomad (derailleur version). It is the biggest size available (I am 6' 3").

It dismantles into a 26"x26"x10" hard case (as supplied by SJS).

This requires the frame to be disassembled fairly drastically though. It takes me about 40 mins to assemble at the other end.

What I like though, is that the frame can be easily split to fit in the boot of a car. To do this I:

1) Set the bike derailleurs for smallest chainring & smallest rear cog

2) Disconnect the cantilever brake saddles front and rear

3) Put the bike upside down and remove front and rear wheels

4) Disconnect the bayonet connectors that split the rear brake cable and both gear cables,

5) Disconnect the S&S couplers thus splittilg the frame into separate front & rear sections

In this condition it will fit into the boot of a medium size car quite happily.

I will try and find some photos I can email you of my Nomad packed into it's case.

Cheers