Author Topic: Cables on a Raven  (Read 2022 times)

Pisa

Cables on a Raven
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:26:24 pm »

Hi There,

I purchased my Thorn Raven about 18 months ago.  About six months ago I noticed that both gear cables and the back brake cable had split at the entrance to the first eyelet at the front of the bike.  Has anybody experienced this before?

I now have replacement cables but need to decide how best to fit them to avoid this happening again.  Perhaps miss out the first eyelet or make the cables a little longer?  I think I will probably follow the first path.  Any comments?

lardy

Re: Cables on a Raven
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:49:59 am »
Yes I too had this problem. I replaced the brake cables with Nokon cables no further problem. I also replaced the gear cables, but I also needed to replace the bayonet fittings as grub screws needed drilling out

davefife

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:52:58 pm »
Happened to me on my RST spoke to Thorn and they sent a replacement set of shimaNO cables inner and outer; free.  They also provided a very full and comprehensive explanation - acknowledging that this occurs - in all superb customer service as apparantly the shimaNO ones are the best at not splitting but not as good in terms of feel.
Speak to the shop and let them know.

freddered

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:41:29 pm »
I asked SJSC about replacement grub-screws as the allen key hole was rounded.  I don't intend to pay £12 per bayonet.

PH

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 01:14:39 am »
The original gear cables split on my Raven within the first three months.  Two years later I finally got round to replacing them.  They never gave me any trouble in that time, as long as the inner liner stays intact they'll be OK.

Pisa

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 01:33:35 pm »
Hi davefife,

Yes I have a set of replacement cables from Thorn although I think they are the same as the original cables. Do you remember what explanation Thorn gave?