Author Topic: rim change  (Read 3759 times)

jcabuckley

rim change
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:53:23 pm »
hi guys, going to get my wheels re-built on my RT after the winter, currently i have the stock original sun cr18 rims and i can say i was not overly impressed with them. i've mostly used mavic in the past and been relatively pleased with them. Ideally i would like a hard-coated grey or black rim as these dont show up the dirt and rohloff splatter. i do loaded touring rarely go off-road and commute but dont require a bomb-proof overly-heavy solution, what do you suggest (not too pricey please!). thanks.......

jawj

Re: rim change
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 06:59:34 pm »
Yo,

If you don't fancy taking the plunge and trying out those fancy newish tungsten carbide ones from SJSC then I'd go for good old Mavic EX721s (D521 in old speak) with the grey CD coating.

Some people complain about cracks around the eyelets or even eyelets pulling out of the rim but I've used lots of these rims and I build wheels very tight (and occasionally in funky snow flake patterns...) and have never had a problem.

They don't go out of true if built properly as they start life VERY straight, unlike some rims... I tend to wear mine out in a year as I commute in London which is very stop-start and cruel on rims. If you cycle mainly on the open road (or crap on everyone and don't stop at red lights, grrrrr... [:(!]) then they'll probably last forever!

jcabuckley

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:22:12 am »
raid i am one of those dont stop at red light people, sorry! but i'll take your advice an take a look at these fancy ones but probably stick to the mavics for purely financial reasons! cheers

john28july

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 08:26:55 am »
quote:
Originally posted by jcabuckley

raid i am one of those dont stop at red light people, sorry! but i'll take your advice an take a look at these fancy ones but probably stick to the mavics for purely financial reasons! cheers

I certainly hope that one day you pass in front of me when I am driving my car.
John.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:27:18 am by john28july »

jcabuckley

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 09:00:03 am »
get a grip!

PH

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 07:23:06 pm »
I've recently put a Rigida Grizzley Carbide rim on the front of my Raven.  If it lasts twice as long as a Mavic I would have broken even.  If it lasts three or four times as long, as some people are claiming it will, it'll be a great saving.  Apart from the price, I'm very happy with it, the wet weather braking is better than with any other rim braking I've had, including Magura HS.  The only downside is it squeals, like nothing else.

If you're looking for cheap, try the Rigida Sputniks.  Compared to Mavics they're half the price, a little heavier and don't have the reputation for cracking.  Another option is the DRC rims, I have the 700c version and they've been faultless.

jcabuckley

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 10:36:29 pm »
thanks very much PH i'll look into that lot!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 08:23:36 am »
Hi jcabuckly,

I am a fan of the Mavic 717.  I have the ceramic version on my RST and have just fitted the vanilla version to my wife’s RT.  They are light and reasonably strong, the ceramic version stays clean and brakes well.  There is a down side though; the ceramic version is expensive and Mavic have a reputation for cracking at the eyelet holes.  I haven’t had a 717 crack yet (in 4 rims) but I do own a badly cracked 517 ceramic rim - still in service.  I was very tempted by the Rigida Carbide rim last time I was buying - it is definitely worth considering.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:25:08 am by stutho »