Author Topic: New Chain - NOISE !!!  (Read 1685 times)

freddered

New Chain - NOISE !!!
« on: August 19, 2007, 08:44:15 pm »
Today I replaced my chain with a Wipperman Hub-specific one.

Went for a ride and thought my Bottom Bracket was going to fall off.  It felt and sounded like the ball bearings were going to explode, a god-awful noise when under load (quiet when not pushing it or climbing hills).

I hoped it was the chain so I slackened off the chain a bit (so it wasn't tight)...same noise.

went home, put old chain back on....quiet as a nouse again.

Q - is this because my chainring/sprocket has worn to fit my old chain and now need replacing with any new chain?????

PH

Re: New Chain - NOISE !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:36:59 pm »
Did you need to change the chain?  If it was to save wear on the chainring and sprocket it may have been too late.  So unless the old one is falling apart I’d clean it and stick it back on.

quote:
Q - is this because my chainring/sprocket has worn to fit my old chain and now need replacing with any new chain?????

Unless you have already, both ends are reversible.  I turned mine at 15,000 miles and treated it to a new chain.

freddered

Re: New Chain - NOISE !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:54:44 am »
ironically I just wanted a Wipperman chain because a previous one I had was so quiet.

Will stick with my SRAM for a while longer now (at least it has a decent power-link)