Author Topic: Thorn announce Nomad Mk 3  (Read 22304 times)

mickeg

Re: Thorn announce Nomad Mk 3
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2019, 11:26:37 pm »
I knew that Thorn was an unusual company in that their chainstays were longer on the larger frames.  A lot of other companies use the same chainstay lengths for all sizes, as that is a shortcut that makes manufacturing a bit simpler if all chainstays are the same through the entire size range.  But I had not realized that Thorn has different chainstay lengths for the S frames compared to the L frames on the Mk III. 

My Mk II is a 590M.  The 590M and 590L have the same chainstay lengths (according to their 2012 Fall brochure) which is probably the reason that I had not noticed that they used different chainstay lengths on other sized M and L Mk II frames.

A touring bike should always have a pretty long chainstay for heel clearance on the panniers.  I wonder why the different chainstay lengths for the same sized S and L frames?  A size S frame is unlikely to have smaller panniers.

PH

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2019, 10:44:26 am »
A touring bike should always have a pretty long chainstay for heel clearance on the panniers.  I wonder why the different chainstay lengths for the same sized S and L frames?  A size S frame is unlikely to have smaller panniers.
You need to look at all the geometry together and come to your own conclusions, or trust that those designing know what they're doing. 
Looking at chainstay length, without considering seat tube angle is a mistake, the bottom bracket is in a different place relative to the saddle.

brummie

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2019, 07:58:53 pm »

The rider of  size S frame will likely have smaller feet and maybe shorter cranks too.

macspud

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2019, 08:07:37 pm »

I agree with you, mickeg. If I need a certain length of chainstay on a flat handlebar bike to prevent heel strike whilst keeping the centre of gravity of the pannier from being too far behind the rear wheel axle, I will also need that same chainstay length on a drop handlebar bike. (Edited. Of course, mickeg, you're correct. The COG of the panniers is behind the rear axle not in front.)

You need to look at all the geometry together and come to your own conclusions, or trust that those designing know what they're doing. 
Looking at chainstay length, without considering seat tube angle is a mistake, the bottom bracket is in a different place relative to the saddle.

PH, I do agree with you, especially on a racer or audax bike. Not so much on a tourer built for carrying extreme weighs. When adding extreme loads it is more important to be able to place them within the axle centres. Also, looking at chainstay length and seat tube angle, the Nomad Mk2 620L has 72.5° seat tube angle and 479mm chainstays and the Nomad Mk3 61S also has 72.5° seat tube angle but 459mm chainstays.
If I at 6'5" with size 13-14 UK feet were to buy a drop bar Nomad, I would want the geometry of the Mk2 620M rather than the Mk3 61S for heel clearance, I would also prefer it's seat tube length, standover height & slope, seat tube angle. I would probably also prefer it's 595mm TT.

The rider of size S frame will likely have smaller feet and maybe shorter cranks too.

brummie, I disagree. I think that the rider of the S frame is more likely to have the same size feet but be using drop bars rather than flat bars, especially now with the longer seat tubes and taller standover heights. At least, as likely, in my opinion. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:38:17 am by macspud »

macspud

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2019, 08:11:58 pm »
martinf, there are two step through frame sizes of Nomad Mk3 40S/T & 47S/T http://www.sjscycles.com/Instructions/Thorn/Thorn_Nomad_Mk3_Frame_Size_Matrix.pdf

Interesting. The 47S/T looks to be a very long frame for a step-through design. At 580 mm virtual top tube length, that's 5 mm longer than a Raven in the big 600S size. Seat tube is also reasonably long at 505 mm.

I reckon I could be very comfortable with the 47S/T if with advancing age I ever have trouble getting my leg over a standard frame.

martinf, It certainly looks like a step-through frame made for tall folk. :)

mickeg

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2019, 09:36:19 pm »
This discussion does bring up another possibility that I had not considered.  Maybe drop bar users are more likely to have smaller feet?  <Insert chuckle here.>

I have three touring bikes and used to have a fourth, assuming that the published data is accurate:
 - Nomad Mk II 590M, 466mm  (I assume the length is to the center of the eccentric, so length
    would vary slightly with chain wear, etc.)
 - Sherpa Mk ?? 610S, 450mm
 - Lynskey Backroad L, 445mm (All sizes of this frame have same chainstay lengths.)
 - Surly Long Haul Trucker 2004 (I no longer have it), size 58cm, 460mm (All sizes had same chainstays.)

Thus, when i switch to a different bike than I used for my most recent previous trip, I need to move the pannier mounting brackets to adjust for different chainstay lengths.

I think the center of gravity of my rear panniers on my Nomad Mk II is about 3 inches (~~ 75mm) aft of the rear axle when I am using Ortlieb Backrollers.  First photo attached. 

And when I use Carradry rear panniers, I think the center of gravity is also aft of the rear axle by about the same amount, second photo.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:41:34 pm by mickeg »

PH

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2019, 10:50:24 pm »
I have three touring bikes and used to have a fourth, assuming that the published data is accurate:
 - Nomad Mk II 590M, 466mm  (I assume the length is to the center of the eccentric, so length
    would vary slightly with chain wear, etc.)
 - Sherpa Mk ?? 610S, 450mm
 - Lynskey Backroad L, 445mm (All sizes of this frame have same chainstay lengths.)
 - Surly Long Haul Trucker 2004 (I no longer have it), size 58cm, 460mm (All sizes had same chainstays.)

Do they all have the same BB drop?  I don't mean to sound argumentative, but part of the information doesn't tell the full story.
As you rightly say anything with a EBB will have variable CS length and ST angle.  there are people who say they're sensitive to these small differences, maybe they are, I'm not.

mickeg

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 11:02:21 pm »
I have no clue how bottom bracket drop relates to chainstay length and potential for heel strike on panniers.

PH

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 10:41:06 am »
I have no clue how bottom bracket drop relates to chainstay length and potential for heel strike on panniers.
It's a triangulation, in much the same way as the difference between the actual top tube length and the effective one when comparing frames with different TT slope.  If you were to compare the actual with the effective with an expectation they offered the same reach/heel clearence you'd be mistaken.