Author Topic: raven tour...suitable for commuting?  (Read 2824 times)

balboa

raven tour...suitable for commuting?
« on: August 18, 2007, 12:45:08 pm »
Hi all

I'm looking at getting a new bike. up till now I've managed with a fairly cheap ridgeback hybrid and it's now on it's last legs. I've started doing cycle camping holidays, most recently two weeks in Germany fully loaded and the bike's not really up to it.

I want a steel framed tourer, but living in London I only have room for one bike. As well as my touring holidays I need to be to do my 22 mile commute (with quite a bit in my panniers and including a few good  hills).

I've been to the shop in Bridgewater and am very impressed, but just want to be sure that this bike is versatile enough to be my only bike. Does anyone else have experience of using this bike as their day to day bike?

thanks very much!

geocycle

Re: raven tour...suitable for commuting?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:29:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  I use mine as a commuter, shopper, off-roader, tourer, camper, day rides... probably the most versatile bike I've ever owned!  I was in a similar position needing one bike to do everything and was fed up with relatively cheap hybrids having to be completly replaced every few years.  It's sufficiently understated to not draw unwanted attention.  It's also very robust and the low maintenace makes it ideal for commuting.

freddered

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:46:45 pm »
It's the most perfect Commuter you can buy (because it will also double up as Tourer, Audaxer, Shopper and MTB).

Maintenance = Hose it down and change a bit of oil every year.

I commute on mine occasionally but I also cycle-camp on it with full pannier load.  I also Audax on it (322km in a day is my best yet).

It does everything except race.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:53:40 am »
The Raven tour will make a superb commuter.  Personally I own a Sport Tour (very similar) - I use it every day (all weathers) for a very hilly 15-mile commute.  The bike has not let me down once in 7000 miles.  Just one point make sure you get a good lock better yet get 2!  I agree with geocycle that Thorns do not draw unwanted attention to themselves but there is no point in taking risks!  (I am fortunate in being able to store my bike in an unused office.)

Next time you go cycle camping you will be in for a treat too.

freddered

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:43:06 am »
Pitlock Skewers are essential in my opinion.

I have Rohloff Hub on rear and Schmidt Hub on front, that's nearly £1000 in 2 wheels.

PH

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:03:41 am »
I bought my Raven Tour as an everyday bike as I was sick of the time maintaining my others took.  In two and a half years it has preformed faultlessly, the majority of its 15,000 miles have been utility stuff, commuting, shopping and general transport.  It’s also become my first choice for heavily loaded touring, off road and foul weather.  I have three bikes and the Raven does more mileage as the other two put together, partly because it’s the only bike I keep insured but mostly because it’s best suited.  It was the right choice for me and if I was buying again would probably make the same choices. But…you can’t have everything…the things that make it so sure footed on a rough track, so stable when loaded and so easy to ride, also make it less exciting.  When the sun is shining and I just want to go out and enjoy the sheer pleasure of cycling, I don’t take the Raven.  It’s a pleasure I wouldn’t want to be without and for that reason, if I could only have one bike it would have to be something else.  I would give serious consideration to the Raven Sport, though that has different compromises, again you can’t have everything…

avdave

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 07:01:46 pm »
I've the Catalyst rather than the Tour but it makes a fantastic commuting bike. I think you would find the Tour just as good if not better. I went for the Catalyst because other than commuting most of my cycling is off road and as I may not always commute for the life of the bike, who can see that far ahead with a Raven, I went for something that I could use to replace my Mtb. Of course what I'd really like is a Sport and an Enduro.The Rohloff realy is well suited to all year round commuting in all weathers in fact it can even cope with a British summer with virtually no maintenance.

ians

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 07:22:35 pm »
I commute (and generally have fun) on my RST.  I invested in a B17 saddle, a carbon seatpost and ergon grips and have a comfy and nippy bike.

ian
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:26:52 pm by ians »

jcabuckley

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 09:45:24 pm »
yup, i'd have to agree my RT is ideal for my commute, 15 miles to work 25back the way. i usually have one 20L pannier bag but other than that its the same as if i were off for a whole tour. I used to have an XTC it was faster and more comfortable for commuting though!

frog

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 08:52:23 pm »
My Raven Tour has done 14 months of faultless 120 miles a week commuting.  There's usually another 40 or so on to that at the weekend.  I've done two oil changes, got through two sets of brake blocks, nes tyres and fitted a Rholoff chain.  It gets wiped down with Tesco baby wipes every Friday.

I missed a few weeks through illness and one day because of snow.  I've got a Schmidt SON on the front powering a Solidlights 1203D which is fork crown mounted and a Dinotte tail light on the seat post.  Definitely recommend the Pit Lock squewers as well.  Kit is lugged about in a pair of Ortlieb front roller panniers on the back.

I can't recommend it enough.