Author Topic: Puncture with a rohloff hub  (Read 3757 times)

GeoffBroom

Puncture with a rohloff hub
« on: August 11, 2007, 07:17:32 pm »
I have been riding my raven discovery for about 500 Kms so have not yet had a puncture.  When I do what is the best way of coping with the cable box attached to the hub?  Should I put the tandem in 1st gear or 14th or what.  I need some tips as I must simulate a tyre change next week.  Its bound to be necessary soon as the roads here in South Africa are pretty bad and we are on dirt roads a lot of the time.  I would really appreciate some advice
Thanks
Geoff

julk

Re: Puncture with a rohloff hub
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:53:26 pm »
I had more punctures than you and decided to put stouter tyres on.
I found taking the rear wheel off easier on a bike with a rohloff hub than a derailleur equipped bike.

Disconnect the rear brake at the noodle to open the arms, deflate the tyre if still necessary to clear the brake. Put the hub in 1st or 14th gear and note which it is before disconnecting either the external gear mech, or the cables to the internal gear mech. Loosen the wheel retaining nuts or quick release and take the wheel straight out. Lift the chain off the rear sprocket and park it on a cloth on the chainstay.

The wheel is now available for whatever work you plan to do on it.

To refit, reverse the removal process making sure the gear changer is still in the original gear.

GeoffBroom

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 02:54:18 pm »
Thanks.  It was the gear position that I was concerned with.
I am riding on Continental Town-and-Country tyres complete with tube protectors and slime but I have to pass over glass all the time that gets thrown on the roads.  I will have a dry run toworrow. Thanks again for your help.  I think the rohloff is great.  My wife refers to the tandem now as being an automatic.

Geoff

goosander

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:36:55 pm »
Don't worry about what gear the bike is in, it doesn't matter.  When you reconnect the bayonet connectors on the gear cable, the gear shifter will move to match the gear the hub is in.

PH

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 12:05:32 am »
quote:
Originally posted by goosander

Don't worry about what gear the bike is in, it doesn't matter.  When you reconnect the bayonet connectors on the gear cable, the gear shifter will move to match the gear the hub is in.

quote:
what is the best way of coping with the cable box attached to the hub?

Different bike, different system, different  rules.