Author Topic: Touring with Raven Enduro?  (Read 1886 times)

Al Downie

Touring with Raven Enduro?
« on: August 10, 2007, 05:02:01 pm »
So. Let the shooting-down-in-flames commence...

I have a voucher from the insurance company to replace my 3yr-old hard-tail Stumpjumper Comp (recently stolen), and my plan is to top this up with some cash and buy a Rohloff machine. I have two ambitions: 1) I want to go out every weekend and have a blast on rough tracks and MTB trails, and 2) I want to cycle from Lhasa to Kathmandu, via Everest basecamp.

I know the Enduro is the perfect vehicle for my weekend activities, AND the advice I've read regarding the Tibet journey recommends a mountain bike with rack, panniers and front suspension, to cope with the frequent stretches of very rough track. BUT... the advice I've read on here suggests that if I put more than a sandwich and a flask of tea on the back of the Enduro then it'll fall over like a Raleigh Chopper. In fact there are some posts in other threads which suggests it's simple *lunacy* to put panniers on an Enduro, and it MUST NOT be done.

Is it really that bad? Or is it just 'less than ideal' from a handling point of view? I've been for long journeys with full panniers and a barbag on a mountain bike before, and it seemed fine to me. But I've not tried it on an Enduro, and I don't want to blow 2 grand and find that it really IS like a Raleigh Chopper when you put bags on the back...

I'd be grateful for any advice.

peterh

Re: Touring with Raven Enduro?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:50:34 am »
I've got an Enduro and love it to bits - had it about 3-4 years now. I bought it as a top notch mountain bike for cross country type stuff and didn't ever intend to carry any weight on it.

I have to say that personally I wouldn't put any panniers or other racks on it because of the effect it would have on its handling. To me the handling of the Enduro feels quite sensitive to its center of gravity. I don't know if this is my lack of skills or the way I've set it up, but while sitting down it feels like the weight is towards the back wheel - which means grip in mud and on loose surfaces is fantastic. But when I get out of the saddle - the bike feels completely different and the back end will quickly lose traction. I've always put this down to the short chain stays and of course the hub :-) I've go used to it's balance and use it to my advantage. But I think adding weight to the bike would change its characteristics alot. It's just not designed for that. It really does sound like you need two bikes - a Thorn eXXp perhaps - I like the look of that!

jawj

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 11:54:23 am »
I experience exactly the same thing on my Rohloffed P7: the rear wheel loses traction very easily when I'm out of the saddle. I'd have thought the 'extra' weight of the hub would have had the opposite effect - I now just put it down to me usually being in a lower gear with the Rohloff than on a derailer-equipped bike as it encourages spinning.
Or something...

avdave

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:55:37 pm »
Catalyst - Much better if you want to tour as it has proper rack mounts and longer chainstays to give heel clearance. Also those who fly their bikes all seem to favour v-brakes as they are less likley to get damaged in transit and easier to maintain. You could also have a disk for the front when your back in the UK. Mine is set up for commuting with rack, mudguards and Pace rigid forks and it's great for that, but with a few changes I could be off on the Downs.