Author Topic: RST in the Picos de Europa Spain  (Read 5042 times)

Fred A-M

RST in the Picos de Europa Spain
« on: August 09, 2007, 01:57:49 pm »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 11:01:49 am by Fred A-M »

Fred A-M

Re: RST in the Picos de Europa Spain
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:18:33 pm »
Cheers Andrew!

Swislon

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »
Brilliant Fred. That terrain looks just perfect for the RST.
How many miles did you do and how did the bike go ?
What saddle are you using and would you recommend it ?

Cheers Steve

Fred A-M

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:23:58 pm »
Hi Steve

430 miles in 8 days cycling, though there was at least one, if not two, 1000-1600 metre mountain passes every day so hence the relatively modest mileage.  I can't commend the Picos highly enough as cycling territory; very dramatic scenery, quiet and cheap outside of July/Aug summer months (went there previously in late Sept 4 years ago).  

Probably best to there in the next couple of years if the pics inspire anyone: Spain is subject to the most incredible pace of development and there are already signs that significant chunks of the region will be lost to the encroachments of wholesale tourism.  

The pictures are slightly misleading ref terrain, I was on roads, the pictures are taken just off them.

Gel Saddle about to be replaced as I was suffering discomfort on the longer days and its started to split.  Will probably go for a Brooks B17.  That and slightly sore palms aside, the bike ran like a dream, as always!

Cheers

Fred

Swislon

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:44:26 pm »
Hi Fred,

I thought the terrain might be mixed as I could see a good road in the background of the first picture. The mountains look fabulous and like you I love the hills and getting some where quiet. One day I shall visit the Picos.

I have a B17 and have just bought a used Brooks Swift from the CTC website, though haven't received it yet. The B17 is on our tandem and the Swift will go either on my audax bike or the RST. I'm always on the lookout for comfortable saddles. I don't get sore hands and use a flat bar with Ergon grips and Cane Creek bar ends. You might want to try different grips, or cycling mits.

Cheers

Steve

Fred A-M

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:53:07 am »
Hi Steve

Am definitely going to get some Ergon grips and possibly some CC bar ends.  

The Swift looks like the ultimate in saddles! Is it narrower than the B17?  Please do let me know how you get on with it!  

Also, if you do ever plan to go to the Picos, drop me a line also: it's fair to say that I know the area pretty well!

Cheers

Fred

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:01:06 am »
Thanks also to SJS for supplying links to larger images, it really helps to do the Picos and the RST justice!

Fred
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 11:02:53 am by Fred A-M »

svensbluearmy

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:30:31 pm »
Hi, just seen the pics of your sport tour. What is the spec. of the bike above the basic, if any. How does it ride and what is the Rohloff like. I am looking to invest in a new bike after eleven years on a Dawes Galaxy. Are there any upgrades you would recommend to a potential buyer. Thanks Steve.

Fred A-M

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 09:54:32 pm »
Hello

The spec of my RST is not much above the default, the only upgrades being

Black Finish on the Rohloff Hub: apparently the silver finish looks pretty crummy after a few years. (£20 extra)

Upgrade of breaks to Deore LX: definitely recommended (£20 extra)

Bog standard bar extensions

Sun CR-18 (a default option) rims are probably best avoided judging from other peoples comments on this forum.  

Subsequently replaced panracer 1.5 with Schwalbe Marathons, much better.

Erm...that's it.  

It's an outstanding commuting/light-touring/light off-road bike and here's a link to my initial and subsequent impressions in reasonable detail: hope it helps!

http://www.sjscycles.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=775

svensbluearmy

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 06:35:43 pm »
Thanks for that Fred, the info about the rims is very useful. Thaks Steve.

Fred A-M

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 10:07:51 pm »
Link to photo gallery of above tour - not mapped (geo-tagged) as yet, to follow in due course!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14081381@N03/sets/72157602222814396/

Fred A-M

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 12:56:09 pm »

ians

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 01:00:01 pm »
got that B17 titanium yet Fred?  I can agree with other posters who say that it has not required any breaking in.  I also recognise that people either love them or hate them.

ian

Fred A-M

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 01:38:48 pm »
No I haven't Ian, but will certainly do so ahead of doing any more serious cycling.   Had been thinking about getting some decent dyno-hub lights too so I can do some serious Audaxing over the winter but am momentarily overwhelmed with financial commitments so this might all have to wait.  

Next probable trip is planned for late Spring next year, from my parents place in the Dordogne to my girlfriend's parents just south of Valencia, via the Pyrenees so I'll definitely have all above mentioned in place by them.  

Thanks for the feedback!