Author Topic: Rohloff running costs  (Read 2965 times)

bike_the_planet

Rohloff running costs
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:58:59 am »
G'day from the arse-end of the planet

I'm thinking of Rohloffing.

One of the reasons for doing so, ironically, is price. This surprises most people as the upfront cost of a Rohloff is bigger than derailleurs. But I would imagine that the ongoing costs over 100,000kms plus would make up for that and some.

So what are the running costs? How much does the oil cost? How often and how expensive is the rear cog? What about replacement gear cables? Does the longevity of the shifter match the hub? Will the universe contract again after it finishes expanding...

Any answers would be welcomed.

Cheers

PH

Re: Rohloff running costs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:00:50 pm »
There’s too many variables for there to be a definitive answer.  Here’s what I’ve spent in 2.5 years and 15,000 miles.
Sprocket removal tool     £20
Torx screwdriver          £5
Half liter flushing oil   £15
Half liter hub oil        £15
Hub grub screw            £1.50
Oil changing syringe      £6
Hub gear cable            £5
Shifter gear cable        £7
Chain                     £9
Chain oil                 £1
Total                  £84.50

If I consider the tools to be part of the bike price, they added £31 and shouldn’t need replacing.
The investment in the oil was worthwhile, I bought a liter of each and sold some on, the savings over buying small quantities are vast.  £1.70 per oil change against £8 plus postage.
I’ve just turned the sprocket and chainring round and expect to do another 15,000 miles before they need replacing at a cost of £45.
The numbers on the twist shifter have long worn off the rubber is looking a little rough. At some point I will replace this at a cost of £8.  The shifter itself is working fine, it’s so simple I doubt it will ever need replacing.
The only expense I haven’t included was a replacement bayonet fitting, if you don’t keep these clean or covered they can seize.
And of course I haven’t included the stuff that needs replacing on any bike, tyres, rims, brakes…

So taking out the tools and the oil I have left, adding in cost of wear to the sprocket, chainring and shifter rubber and budgeting to replace all cables every two years, the running costs per year or 6,000 miles comes too almost £30.

I’ve tried to work out how much of a saving over running a derailleur, again there are too many variables, mainly what quality of kit, how well you look after it and where you ride.  I estimate I save around £50 a year.  My Raven cost £350 (inc tools) more than an equivalent Thorn bike, like a Sherpa with decent components.  So 7 years before that’s recouped.  It isn’t on it’s own enough of a difference to sway me one way or the other.

The biggest saving is in time, some people love maintenance, for me it’s a chore.  I used to spend about an hour a week keeping my commuting bike running smoothly, I hardly touch the Raven.  Even if there was no financial saving, this would be enough.

Swislon

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 12:29:38 pm »
Nice one PH.

I do not like cleaning derailleur bikes. The drive chain is a p.i.t.a. to get at and usually ends up with me taking the chain off and using a toothbrush. What a waste of time and hassle.
I can see the advantage of riding fixed for this reason alone. The Rohloff is so simple to look after as well, though a bit heavier obviously. If the weather is bad it is the first bike I go to. In winter I keep riding but will wash off and lube the Rohloff after every ride as it takes only a few minutes.
I don't have time to clean bikes but I like clean bikes !

I like lightwieght, responsive derailleur bikes alot but they tend to be kept for good days now I've discovered the rohloff.

paulhipwood

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:56:59 pm »
Hi All

I've covered 5500 miles in 18 months. Changed the sprockets around (think it is the towpath grunge that is wearing them out).
Changed the oil once, due for another one soon. Bought bulk oil from this forum - thanks for organising it.
Adjusted the cables periodically - do not intend to touch these for some time.
So all in all very little time spent on maintenance and costs are low.

Funnily enough yesterday I stopped at some lights and a fellow cyclist asked "is that one of them Rohloff's" I said yes, he then asked "how do you find em?"

I said "no problem oil change once a year and thats it."

The lights changed and I want to write - I then flew off into the distance - but I did not, he was 30 years younger - I believe 'racing snake' is the correct description. So I was left trailing a poor second. Never mind I will not be cleaning my sprockets the weekend.

paul

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 04:02:45 pm »
Re the Running costs on the Rohloff.

REALY HIGH - because when your wife / husband realise how good a Rohloff equipped bike is then you are going to have to fork out a large amount of cash!!!  (N.B. I have just bought a RT for the wife)

If you ignore the cost of a new bike for your beloved then the Rohloff is VERY cheap to run.  I have got about 7000 miles on mine I am still on my first chain, chain ring and sprocket.  Next year at approx. 12,000miles I intend to swap out the chain and reverse the sprocket and chaining.  I will probably change the internal cable too. Total cost = not much!

As others have said it is worth buying the oil in bulk, especially if you can split it with some friends.