Author Topic: Oz set-up take 1  (Read 2604 times)

daviddd55

• 19500km Circuit of Australia 07/08
Oz set-up take 1
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:23:40 pm »
I've moved on a bit in getting the TRT set up for Oz, including a lot of effort to get the carbon fibre stubbie bard set in the right place, such that I can get my hands in various positions without doing away with a bar bag.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:32:22 pm by daviddd55 »

geocycle

Re: Oz set-up take 1
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 09:15:09 am »
Looks really good.  Interesting to see the versatility of the comfort bars and they might allow you to change things around if problems occur.  I'll be in Queensland next week unfortunately without the bike!

stan

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 10:25:25 am »
Like your 'pics! I've got my comfort bars in the same position and it works fine (including my Caradice barbag)................ but I'm intrigued by the fitted stand shown in your second 'pic!!?

I was warned-off having one fitted (at SJC) and find its absence extremely inconvenient.  What's the experience of others?........ especially with a camping load?!!?

Stan

neil_p

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:20:25 pm »
Hi,

Can I confirm you have the bar bag fitted to carbon bars?  I was talked out of that option by SJS a couple of weeks ago, but I do prefer the look and feel of carbon.  SJS said the barbag bracket could cause weakness in the handlebar, leading eventually to failure.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

jawj

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:23:42 pm »
I've tried one of those stands with the two legs (a la motorbike style) under a full camping load and they're quite stable, but I didn't enjoy having to hike the load's weight up onto it!
I much prefer one of these:

(sorry for the rubbish hasty photo...)

It's effortless on use and very stable even with shedloads piled on the bike:

(Probably too much stuff!)

Stand's are great and underrated!

stan

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 06:37:08 pm »
Looks good......... what make is it?

Stan

daviddd55

• 19500km Circuit of Australia 07/08
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:43:18 pm »
I'm aware of the possibilty to scratch the carbon bars and start a crack, but (a) the bar bag mounting is plastic and I carefully sanded it smooth and (b) it's a small bag and will have only half a kilo weight in it at any time. I can't see how this could be more of a problem than the brake levers etc. being attached to the carbon bar? (except because they're on the outside possibly)

I have only tried the stand without weight in the panniers to be honest, but having got th 'balance' position pretty accurate (I think) it is very easy to pull it up without panniers. I'll maybe try at the weekend.