Author Topic: Paint durability  (Read 2435 times)

ahconway

Paint durability
« on: June 27, 2007, 01:40:36 pm »
Hi all -

I've been absent from the forum for a while... good to see it's as active as ever! Since moving from London to Boston (Massachusetts, that is), I'm now happy to say that I have a much longer commute, which is entirely bikeable (10 miles each way), so I've been logging many more miles than was possible in the UK.

My Raven AT is holding up admirably, and I love it more than ever. One thing has started to irk me, however. When I rode the Raven only for pleasure and exercise, I never really had to lock it anywhere. But now I'm locking up every day, and the frame's finish is accumulating pock marks and blemishes faster than an adolescent in a chip shop. Even the slightest TOUCH of my downtube to the smooth metal of a parking meter leaves a little white mark.

My 8 year old German city bike also has a powder coat finish, and it seems to be much more resistant to marking despite the abuse I heap upon it.

I've resorted to putting a padded wrap on my crossbar to protect it, but I'm still paranoid about the forks, downtube, and rear triangle.

I must admit that it's a little disappointing to have to be so careful with a bike designed for a bit of adventure!

Any other Raven owners noticed this? Any tips for preventing or remedying?

Andrew C
www.velofellow.com

PH

Re: Paint durability
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:09:53 pm »
I've had the same experience, except mine has always had the same sort of rough treatment yet it's only this year that the damage has shown, so I wonder if it's age related.  On mine it's usually small round areas, 3 or 4 of them, a couple of mm diameter, showing white underneath so not down to bare metal.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:57:53 am »
Yep this sounds familiar to me too.  The paint finish, while beautiful, is the only part of my Raven that I am not happy with.  At the end of next year (after 3 years service) I have promised myself a new powder coated.  I am actually looking forward to the new paint job - almost like having a new bike.

SJSC used to offer the RT & RST in 2 paint finishes one a wet coat, other a powder coat.  These days they only offer the more durable powder coat, so they must have realised the problem too.

(Just for a data point I have got a wet finish ‘True Blue’ fade)

jcabuckley

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:07:08 am »
hi guys, i have a RT with the wet coat (around 2 years old) and an XTC and i'd have to say i'm disapointed with both. I'd also have to say that the thorns colours have never really excited me either, really poor considering they are go-anywhere bikes!

paulhipwood

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:22:09 pm »
Much to my wife and kids delight my red Raven sports tour is fading to a PINK colour.
We have move office and I have to park it outside rather than in the office!!!!! So the UV may be getting to it.

paul

johnbrod

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:39:58 pm »
Yeah, I'm getting chips really easily on my XTC, a bit frustrating. What do you guys use to cover them up? Is clear nail varnish effective?

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 09:32:19 am »
quote:
Is clear nail varnish effective?

Yes, It’s what I use.

(I would rather use clear varnish than use any paint - I have no skill with a touch up brush)