Author Topic: EBay : Thorn Nomad(?) derailleur spares or repair  (Read 6026 times)

brummie

Re: EBay : Thorn Nomad(?) derailleur spares or repair
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 08:31:02 pm »
Twin plate crown forks and the X bridge between the seatstays are the hallmarks of a Kevin Sayles built EXP frame.

mickeg

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 02:47:27 am »
Was there some point in time when most people switched from cantilever brakes to V brakes?

Is that a 7 speed?  I always have trouble counting sprockets from photos.  But the crank looks a lot newer than a 7 speed wheel.  The Ebay posting photo shows an 8 speed brifter, but a friend of mine uses an 8 speed shifter on a 7 speed cassette, so that is a possible combination.

Front shifter has a bar end shifter that looks like it might be missing some of the parts, the shifter part of the front brifter probably quit working.

Since the V brakes do not have a travel agent and the brake levers are normal cable pull type levers, I suspect that one or the other (or both) were changed at some point in time.

But, I built up a new bike last spring with an 8 speed cassette, so you can't put too much credibility on a bikes age from the components if it was built up by someone outside of a commercial shop.  I also used a 90s vintage rear derailleur on that newest build.

The Brooks saddle might have a date code in it, but a saddle could sit on the shelf for a few years before getting installed.

sd

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 12:40:49 pm »
Did anyone win/bid on it?
I had a snipper bid in at £341.98 It was won at £338.50
"BID UNDER ASKING PRICE: EBAY BID INCREMENT RULE NOT MET"
It would probably have been to big for me.

martinf

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 08:36:18 pm »
i have fitted extra clips to my carradice panniers
as Dan said ideal place to store spares and add a bit of security
i also added them to my 2 pairs of carradice Kendalls
bought red clips so i could colour code the panniers as i fit and refit them each time i go shopping, no more faffing about sorting out where they fit  8)

I followed Dan's practice of doubling-up the hooks and fins on my rear Ortleib bags.

Also copied his idea of using acrylic paint to mark my name on the back of each bag. Ortleib bags are common here, and as well as proof of ownership it could help avoid confusion when using hostel accommodation.

While marking my name, I also added the position for mounting each bag (port rear, starboard rear, etc.)