Author Topic: Disc Brake Forks  (Read 12030 times)

mickeg

Disc Brake Forks
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:42 pm »
When did Thorn start putting disc brake fittings on their forks?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/48-26-650b-thorn-nomad-disc-fork-yellow-gloss/?geoc=US

I was unaware that they started to use disc brakes up front.  I have no plans to change to disc, but I know that some have strong pro-disc opinions.

Is this new or did it happen a long time ago and I did not notice it?

David Simpson

Re: Disc Brake Forks
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:29:00 pm »
It was released July 2016. Note that this fork is only for 650B wheels, not 26-inch wheels. 650B wheels are about 27.5" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27.5_Mountain_bike).

These forks are only for disc brakes, not rim brakes. Apparently (see below) there are no 650B rims available for rim brakes. These forks do not have mounts for rim brakes.

See page 35 of the latest Thorn Mega brochure
http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/THORN_MEGA_BROCHURE.pdf

Here is the text from page 35 of that brochure:

------------------------------------------------
At the end of July 2016, we will have disc forks which will fit our NOMAD frames. We will then be able to offer both 26" and 650B options on the Nomad. The 650B option will only be possible with front and rear disc. I’m convinced that 26" wheels will remain the sensible option for expedition cycling indefinitely. 650B has proved popular on MTB’s because 29er bikes with suspension are too big for many riders. Tyre manufacturers are not introducing 650B tubeless tyres for quick road use*. There are a few tyres which could prove excellent for a 650B Euro-Style disc brake touring bike which is what I shall be offering.I shall be offering Schwalbe Almotion Tubeless Tyres 2.00" which are fairly heavy at 750g and I would be amazed if they came anywhere close to being as good in any situation as the legendary 26" DUREME.

The Schwalbe G-ONE is a superb, tubeless gravel bike tyre and it’s available in 650B 1.5" 420g. Perhaps this will prove to be the most popular option on a disc braked Nomad?

I haven’t settled on rims yet.

I expect that the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS469 tubed tyres, which are available in 650B 1.6" (470g) and 2.00" 600g will be the most popular on the Euro NOMAD.

Rim manufacturers are not making rim brake rims for 650B*.

*There’s a small movement in the USA which does have access to quick 650B road tyres and lightweight rim brake rims at very high prices but these are for the long distance Audax market and I believe that all but the shortest of these cyclists would be better served with wide tubeless 700c tyres such as the 30c Schwalbe S-One.

Andy Blance 1/May/2016
------------------------------------------------

- DaveS
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:33:01 pm by David Simpson »

bobs

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:36:29 pm »
It's a bit of a UK turn for Thorn but I suppose they have to move with the times. Quote from a previous brochure.

Please don’t ask for a disc brake on
steel forks, we simply won’t do it!
We use raked blades, these are exceptionally comfortable, they will
withstand the forces of cycling (and have done so for generations) but
raked forks will not withstand the forces generated by a disc brake,
which are very different to the forces generated by V brakes, even at
the same rate of retardation. We have seen 3 ways that other
manufacturers have “accomplished” this, they all seem stupid to us

(1) We have had customers complain that a well known custom
builder’s raked steel forks have permanently bent under braking.
(2) We have seen hideously uncomfortable, thick walled, straight
blades used by another manufacturer, these forks don’t fail, but I
expect that an owner’s hands and elbows soon would!
(3) The most ridiculous “solution” of all, is a heavy left blade and
lighter right blade. The different blades must have different elastic
properties (isn’t that supposed to be the point?) and therefore the
axle must twist, when a bump is hit. If the axle twists, then so must
the front wheel. If the front wheel twists, then the bike consequently
alters course.
Isn’t hitting bumps comfortably and safely the main function of
a bicycle’s fork? Why compromise comfort and safety, in order
to fit a brake, which is inferior, in the conditions that the steel fork
will be used in?

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:52:17 pm »
I think they haven't changed their mind on heavy-touring bikes. It seems they are providing more options for Euro-style (light weight?) touring.

It is interesting that by making the disc-brake fork only for 650B wheels, they are preventing people from using it for a heavy-touring bike (assuming that a heavy-touring bike will use 26" wheels).   Edit: I think I am wrong here. See my comment below.

- DaveS
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:16:47 am by David Simpson »

bobs

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:50:44 am »

David Simpson

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 01:14:31 am »
After a bit of thought, it occurred to me that there is no reason why someone couldn't put a 26" wheel on this fork and use it for heavy-touring with a disc brake. Or am I missing something?

- DaveS

bobs

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:16:48 am »
I think the fork takes a 26" wheel.

martinf

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 08:33:28 am »
Quote from Thorn Mega brochure

"Rim manufacturers are not making rim brake rims for 650B*"

I managed to find some in France, probably NOS. They are fairly narrow, but will take a 50 mm width tyre. I suppose I ought to get a couple of spares, as I still have two bikes with this wheel size, my old utility bike and my wife's main bike.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:26:10 pm »
Ok, I missed it last summer when they started making a disc capable fork.  Maybe that happened when I was in Iceland, any new news that came out for that month I missed.

My 650b bike that I could not buy a tire for about 30 years ago has been in storage since.  In USA, 650b tires were pretty much extinct several decades ago and I could not buy a tire for it.  That bike had drum brakes (Sturmey Archer three speed with drum in back).  Although I still own the bike, I have several others (including one frame that arrived yesterday) so I have not had a strong interest to get that old three speed operable.

Here in USA, several manufacturers are trying to sell what they say is a new tire size 27.5 and I think some of the dealers never heard of 650b and do not even realize it is an older tire size.

If someone is looking for a 650b rim that works with rim brakes and can't find one, there is a small company in USA called Velo Orange that sells such a rim.  But shipping and fees to Europe might be cost prohibitive.  But if you are really interested, here is the rim.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-diagonale-650b-rims.html

But I suspect that there are other such rims out there, they just might be hard to find.

David Simpson

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 06:45:24 pm »
Just remember that these new Thorn Nomad disc brake forks are only for disc brakes. They have no mounts for rim brakes.

- DaveS

bobs

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 06:53:39 pm »
Yes, it would have been good if there was canti mounts also for versatility.

martinf

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 07:18:59 pm »
650B rims for rim brakes are apparently still available here in France :

http://www.xxcycle.com/rim-ambrosio-keba-650b-silver-confreriale,,en.php

Same model as I got, quoted tyre size 28 to 62 mm, IMO best with about 35 mm but works OK with 50mm.

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 07:32:42 pm »
Is this fork usable on the Nomad MK2? The website separately lists the (non-disc) Nomad MK2 fork with a MK2 designation.

Paul S

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 08:07:05 pm »
Is this fork usable on the Nomad MK2? The website separately lists the (non-disc) Nomad MK2 fork with a MK2 designation.

I believe it is.

cheers,

Paul.
Peddle Power = Will Power...... & the right gears.

bobs

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 08:15:35 pm »
Yes it is, the clue is that the mk2 Nomad came in yellow.