Author Topic: Simple introduction to raising your bike's handlebars  (Read 2968 times)

Andre Jute

Simple introduction to raising your bike's handlebars
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:48:06 pm »
See Julian's post immediately below for cases with a still-long but not long-enough steerer tube, or where only a modest height increment is required.

Here's a simple introduction to raising your bike's handlebars even if the steerer tube has been cut short. In each case you need extra ironware.

1. A modest height adjustment by an external clamp-on extender, generally about 40mm max, which I found not enough:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems/55mm-zoom-headsup-stem-extender-clampon-steerer-extender-for-ahead-system-forks/

The one of this design I had was the BBB BHP-22 but they're all basically the same. I suspect they're all made in the same Taiwan factory (Uno, used to be called Kalloy) with the more expensively branded ones maybe finished a little better. I lent mine to a lady pedalpal who shamelessly refuses to return it. I've taken her recipe book hostage...

2. A variable height adjustment by an insert which is fixed by an invisible sliding, expanding wedge-clamp, which is what I currently have on my bike and which does very well, thank you:
http://www.wiggle.com/bbb-bhp-2021-stem-extender/

My current one came in an n'lock stem kit, made with Swiss punctilio, but the BBB BHP-20/21 is basically the same thing, mass-produced. I wouldn't be without it for any money.

I mention the BBB model numbers because they're generally in stock at the bigger LBS, or almost instantly available in the next regular delivery from their pet wholesaler.

Here's a generic photo of the two types and three general shapes of steering extenders from the sainted Sheldon's pages at:
http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

To order the right component you have to match the size of your steerer tube ("for 1-1/8in or 1in steerer tube") and the size of your stem (ditto). It's not rocket science but if you're uncertain, ask here with such specific details as you know and someone will help you sort it. Don't busk it: wrongly fitted steering components are a face-plant waiting to happen.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:30:11 pm by Andre Jute »

julk

Re: Simple introduction to raising your bike's handlebars
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 12:00:42 pm »
I am sure Andre has covered this elsewhere…

If your steerer is still full length, you just need to ease your aging back a bit and you like your current handlebars
then another thing worth considering is a new stem which is any or all of
• shorter
• angled more upwards
• adjustable for angle

I have found a stem change has accommodated my back stiffening with age so far.
Julian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 02:32:57 pm »
Thanks, Julian. We've probably all mentioned some or all of the possibilities at one time or another, but it does no harm to a have complete overview readily to hand in one thread.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:35:28 pm »
There is also the simple trick of flipping the stem upside down! Most stems don't extend perpendicular to the steering tube, so there are two orientations possible when clamping, giving two handlebar heights. Mostly what one sees is stems oriented to give the lower height. So typically the first thing to try is just flipping to the other orientation!

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:42:05 am »
There is also the simple trick of flipping the stem upside down! Most stems don't extend perpendicular to the steering tube, so there are two orientations possible when clamping, giving two handlebar heights. Mostly what one sees is stems oriented to give the lower height. So typically the first thing to try is just flipping to the other orientation!

One man's North Road Bars are another man's Mustache Bars!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 06:08:07 pm »
One man's North Road Bars are another man's Mustache Bars!

yeah around town it is not so uncommon to see folks with flipped drop bars. Not my cup of tea, but it is an inexpensive solution!

lewis noble

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 06:38:18 pm »
Catching up with things after a week with limited access . . . .

I have used these on family bikes, work well.  BUT . . . whoever is fitting them (the types working on the internal quill principle) needs to remember that fitting technique is different from aheadset, which they resemble in appearance.

I got one for a friend once, and handed it over to him.  He assumed that the central nut on the top should be nipped up gently, similar to the bearing preload bolt I had gone through with him a few weeks before.  Of course, it is quite different and needs to be tightened securely.  Fortunately, bars span round as he wheeled the bike to the road . . . An anxious moment for him . . and me.

Now, I never assume anything about other people's knowledge, or my own. 

Lewis

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 06:57:19 pm »
. . . whoever is fitting them (the types working on the internal quill principle) needs to remember that fitting technique is different from aheadset, which they resemble in appearance.