Author Topic: Pitfalls with Pitlocks?  (Read 4902 times)

Fred A-M

Pitfalls with Pitlocks?
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:14:30 am »
Hi All

I've just fitted a set of Pitlock skewers to my RST.  They seem to be working fine but someone recently alluded on one of the threads to problems with these: asides from ensuring that they are greased when fitting them, does anyone have any other pre-emptive pearls of wisdom they can share?  Am off to Britanny on Wed so any information before then will be greatfully received!

Cheers

AndrewClark

Re: Pitfalls with Pitlocks?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 05:10:06 pm »
Don't lose the little nut/key [:D]

My Nomad just arrived from SJS with these fitted. They seem to work OK but were not well greased, that's now been rectified.

Have a good trip, enjoy the seafood!

Swislon

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:12:11 pm »
Hi Fred enjoy trip and post some pics for us lot that can't get away on our bikes ![:(]

Steve

pdamm

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:50:44 pm »
Fred A-M

When you say greased, you should only grease the thread not the whole shaft.  If you grease the whole shaft you run the risk of blocking up a small breather hole in the centre of the hub.  This applies to both a Rohloff and a Schmidt hub.

Peter Damm

AndrewClark

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:25:48 pm »
Thanks Peter,

I did put a _light_ coat of grease on the entire shaft, guess I'b better wipe it off!

Andrew

Fred A-M

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 10:10:58 am »
Peter & Andrew, thanks for the advice, I'd greased it exactly the opposite way around!

Steve, thanks.   I keep meaning to set up a website detailing my various tours.  Unfortunately I've had to compromise on the year's proposed tour schedule refered to in our emails, scaled down from 4 to 2 to placate the girlfriend who sadly isn't a natural when it comes to cycling.

Swislon

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 10:17:05 am »
Enjoy Fred it's still two more than me !
Steve

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 02:33:37 pm »
I do appreciate my impending good fortune but that's still 340+ days less of having the Yorkshire Dales on my doorstep!  :-(  Being in London, I often fail to motivate myself to do the training rides, regardless of the added incentive of owning an RST.  

How did you cut down your handlebars BTW?  The RST does have unusually wide straight bars: whilst I quite like the width when riding the bike, it creates a bit of a major passing problem in the corridor of my flat.  It had never occured to me that they could be trimmed, so what's the best way of getting this done?

Swislon

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 03:19:04 pm »
Hi Fred,

You're right of course the dales and North York Moors right on my doorstep. 50 miles on Sunday on the tandem up Wharfedale, coffee in Ilkley, backover the tops & down through Fewston. Sun was out and big grin on our faces. We are blessed and we know it as we would not want to be back in London at all.

I just hacksawed about 1" off both ends. It came off very easily. I moved the brakes as far in board as they would go then the gear changer and grips and worked out what I needed for the Cane Creek bar ends and lopped off the rest. It makes a difference for me because your arms are not as splayed out. However you get less leverage but there is enough for my needs. It does mean less room for mounting things on the bars but you could always get an accessory bar. Note my bars are alloy not carbon. I don't think I would cut carbon.
Steve

PH

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 06:46:29 pm »
It’s probably me you're referring to who has had problems.  The current advice to keep them well greased should take care of that. I'd also undo them occasionally to keep the threads clean, with decent tyres and a bit of luck it’s sometimes months between wheel removals. Only other thing to be aware off, is that sometimes as you're undoing them the dome end unscrews rather than the nut, only a problem if you let it fall into long grass[:I]

Fred A-M

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 09:35:16 am »
Hi Steve & Paul, thanks again for the feedback!

Paul, can you confirm/clarify that your advice is in line with Peter's advice ref greasing the thread and not the whole shaft?   I'm assuming it is at the mo as I've wiped most of the grease off the shafts and greased the threads!

PH

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 11:59:32 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Fred A-M

Paul, can you confirm/clarify that your advice is in line with Peter's advice ref greasing the thread and not the whole shaft?   I'm assuming it is at the mo as I've wiped most of the grease off the shafts and greased the threads!

Yes[:)]

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 07:17:16 pm »
Several years ago, I helped a friend remove a different brand/kind of bolt-on stainless-steel skewer and locknut that had pretty well galled together after some years in place.  He also had a SON dynohub that needed to have the front skewer left clear to avoid blocking the breather hole.  My solution was a wrap or two of Teflon PTFE plumber's tape on the threads.  He removed the skewer the other day and marveled at how easily it came free compared to the first time.  Might be helpful to others.  

Teflon plumber's tape, your friend in the end.

Best,

Dan.