Author Topic: what cloths for the new baby.  (Read 5339 times)

jags

what cloths for the new baby.
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:39:30 am »
This new  frame will be a first for me i never owned  a matt black bike before ,i had
red don't like red.
white -look kx light beautiful bike.
sky blue my lovely raleight 753 
green raleigh  emm not bad
terry dolan- black blue white class i love it.

so yeah now a matt black so should i aim for all black or chrome look finish i have to get this baby looking super cool  .
any thoughts lads on gear i should be thinking  of buying.

anto.

John Saxby

Re: what cloths for the new baby.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 01:41:26 pm »
I have a burnt-orange jersey, Anto, which makes a nice contrast with the black of the Raven's frame & its alloy fenders. Got it from Ground Effect in New Zealand -- not suggesting you have to journey Down Unda for a cycling shirt (!), but you can see the colour here: http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collections/cycling-tops

jags

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 02:58:15 pm »
nice gear John expensive but i suppose u get what u pay for.
i was more thinking tho of what gear i should get for new frame.
should i go for  all shiny stuff or stick to Black the stelt look .

meant to ask would long cage be better than medium rear mech  no so much pressure with long cage but the medium looks better i think.i have it on the Dolan ,
if i go 50 x32  there's a lot of stretch in the rear mech
not that i use that combo i don't.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 03:01:35 pm »
Anto,

As you know, I went all monochromatic black with my Nomad and have not once regretted it, though the look would have been too "heavy" for some of my other bikes with lighter frame colors. However you choose to go, the black frame will provide a nice "canvas" for the components and whatever you choose to accent it with.

In full agreement with John; a bright jersey and/or bags can surely "pop" against the darker frame color, and everything seems a good contrast. I went with red, black, and grey for most of my clothing and red-and-black for my bags, though "Anto Blue" would surely work as well.

If you find the black a bit overwhelming or simply wish a change later, any good sign shop with a vinyl plotter/cutter can easily make you some removable adhesive wraps in whatever color you choose. Often, they have enough leftover remnants to give you for free if you're willing to wield a scissors on the task. Contrasting panels of a bright color -- even neon! -- can sure spice up a satin black frame, and this is a popular modification here among the uni crowd for a couple brands of matte black Fixed Gear bikes. They usually seem to coordinate the look with matching handlebar tape...not too unlike your Dolan's color scheme.

A little tip I've learned over the years: If you aren't fussy about keeping things all one color, the best bargains can often be found by randomly buying black or silver components and mixing on one bike. The look more often than not comes out nicely and you save a bit by going with what's on sale. The bike can look a bit lighter by breaking up the colors, too.

All in all, you're unlikely to go wrong but I think you might enjoy an all- or mostly black bike for a complete change and break from the past. New bike, new colors to fly, and a new year soon to come in which to ride it. All congratulations on the Audax.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 04:14:04 pm »
Cheers Dan yeah the more i think about it the more im liking the black look.
chainset  fsa vero is a contender it's 110 bolt so i could change the 48 ring to 50 just a thougt  .
i was just looking a 2 tone bartape on wiggle white on black or yellow on black but it's 30euro ouch.

as for cloths i ware assos blue  jacket only class  ;) if i say so meself.
don't think i d chance orange or yellow im to small and to fat i'd look like a wasp coming up the road.yeah anto sticking to Blue ;)

oh got email from the sjs  frame on the way.

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 05:17:40 pm »
Anto, all-black can look very good -- see Dan's excellent Nomad as an example. Personally, I prefer to have silver accents (cranks, rims, mudguards) 'cos my thinking of How Things Should Look was shaped by early exposure to photographs of a Vincent Black Shadow.

I tend to like jerseys with as few decals as possible, and which other people can see. Hence the reds & oranges, which go well with the Raven's matt black frame.

Look forward to the results, in any case!  Audax riders praise the bike.

jags

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 05:58:10 pm »
John i love chrome as well i'm a bit of a magpie i like my bike gleaming, but this time i think i'll go different  im praying i like this  matt frame  huh i'll know soon enough .

thanks John.

bobs

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 06:51:12 pm »
Anto,

Just compare a black Chainset which has suffered some scuffing compared to a silver one  which can be polished. No contest  IMHO.

Bob

jags

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:00:15 pm »
 ;)good point Bob .i had the stronglight impact triple in my head from day one.
the 105 on my dolan is still in great nick thats black.

alfie1952

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:10:28 pm »
Anto,
I think Dan's  beauty is an exception to most all black builds, but well chosen chrome/silver parts can really make a bike stand out. It is all personal taste, so whatever you choose I'm sure it will be the dogsx

Alfie😎

jags

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:47 pm »
I will certainly do my best Alfie  to get it looking class.i have my eldest  son guitar these days i sold my last guitar to buy the Dolan.

he's living in america these days coming home christmas for a few weeks holiday .i said to him the other night  ,Frank i might sell that guitar . there was a deadly silence ,dad if u sell it i will choke u when i get home  ;D ;D i can wind him up at times  .
nah i would never sell it, its a beaut just that i don't have anything left to sell.

jags

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 02:48:20 pm »
Pretty slick, Jags, I have to say ... for that price, though, I'd buy the orange jersey  ;-)

jags

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 04:08:07 pm »
John u might be right but man these look  good ,we might go dura ace bar end shifters. ( the we is Dan i'm blaming him for everything. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 05:40:03 pm »
...the we is Dan i'm blaming him for everything....
Who? What now?  :o ::)

All the best,

Dan, CBI. (Certified Bad Influence)