Author Topic: Raven Sport Tourer used for actual touring  (Read 2937 times)

RobertL

Raven Sport Tourer used for actual touring
« on: September 07, 2016, 03:35:44 pm »
My RST with Shimano Alfine, flat bar and Shimano saints, has, and very much continues to be, a very reliable and enjoyable commuter. I work in several locations and the one I use the bike for is 20 miles away, but am a fine weather commuter on the bike, so doing only around 2,000 miles a year.

I sometimes think of cycling to see family in Nottingham (a two day effort at around 65 miles a day), and have a Carradice Pendle saddlebag which normally lives away from the bike - on commuting duties just use a zip roll on the bar. This probably could work as an overnighter (sleeping bag, change of clothes, food). In due course hope that the RST gets exercised on a longer touring effort.

In searching the forum for RSTs actually used for touring, I didn't seem to find any threads. I know Thorn recommends a weight limit for the RST, but any touring I would plan to do would be at most a couple of days on the road before checking into a BnB. I sometimes think the Pendle plus a half frame bag would suffice (no tent, maybe a tarp/bivvy).

So anyone out there using an RST for longer distance touring, even expedition touring with a lighter set up?

What tyres are you using - am assuming the RST is limited to 26 x 1.75?

Any other changes you have made?

I am still on the original 39 x 18 Alfine set up, but have worked myself up to mainly using 7 or 8th gear - so a relatively comfortable 20-22 mph on flat Tarmac. With around 7kg of touring kit/food/water I suspect I might be mainly in 7th gear so don't think I need to change the chainring.

Finally the bike should reach 10,000 miles early next year - is there any special major service item to look out for? Am thinking mainly when the wheel rims might be showing wear - the rest of the bike, other than consumables (tyres, brake pads, mud guards), doesn't seem to show any wear.

Pavel

Re: Raven Sport Tourer used for actual touring
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:29:23 pm »
I'm just getting back into cycling and have the Nomad and RST. I've not gone on any long multi-day trips yet, but plan to either this autumn or next spring and am certain about the RST as the ride, not the Nomad.  I'm likely to bring the usual, which for me tends to be about 35 - 45 pounds and have had about 40 on the RST and was a joy. No problems in handling or rear heel strike.  I should mention that I no longer have Ortlieb rear bags so I can't fiddle around, but when I had them I could not pedal the RST with them on. I've got size 13 shoes, so that may be a factor for you depending on bags/shoe size.  The Carradice I have set up so that they hang really far back, and that setup works for me.

I'm not sure about max tire size, I thought it was 1.6", but I'm running 1.3 and it seems just about right.  I have run 1.6 and 2.15 on the Nomad and find about the same ride quality on the RST with 1.3 as the Nomad 2.15. The RST is not harsher like one would expect.  Of course if I went mostly off road, or even 25% off road and wanted two kitchen sinks along ... the Nomad would be my no-brainer choice then.

Neil Jones

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 05:59:21 pm »
The RST is definitely up to multi day touring. I've not toured on mine but have loaded a pair of rear Carradice panniers up with plenty of groceries with minimal effect on handling. Personally if you were to do an extended tour I would be tempted to balance out the weight with a pair of front panniers as it can be a little twitchy, unlike the RT which is rock solid. As Pavel says you have to be wary of heel strike due to the tighter geometry. I ride a 511L and I had to move the panniers back slightly but only an inch or so to prevent my size 8 catching them.

I'm pretty sure you can run 1.75 tyres. My favourites are 1.6 Marathon Supremes which offer a good balance between speed, comfort and puncture protection.

Regarding rim wear, it depends on what rims you run. I have Grizzly CSS on mine and still perfectly true and no visible wear after 17k miles. Some people change the shifter cables around 10k although I aim to hold out until I reach 20k when I shall also put a new chairing and sprocket on.

Regards,
Neil

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 07:54:59 pm »
It's a fantastic bike for touring with moderate loads. I've used mine extensively with two rear panniers and a bar bag.  See recent pictures on p8 of rides of 2016 thread and elsewhere.

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11568.msg86926#msg86926

I was also inspired by old posts by Fred A-M showing his bike in action in France.

Expedition touring might be different I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:14:17 pm by geocycle »

RobertL

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 11:00:21 pm »
Thank you for the replies - and I have caught up with some of the tour reports. Perhaps a dry bag on a cage on the frame is another option - not sure about cages on the forks, small front panniers seems another good suggestion, presumably the Thorn lo rider product works well on the RST.

Pavel

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 03:14:34 am »
That is the other good point that has been brought up.  The front bags, imho, enhance the handling.  Now mind you I like a bike for touring to not be too responsive and "twitchy" so I always put about six pounds to about 11 pounds er side on the front. I really like what it does for predictable handling .... it's a net plus I feel.  Keep us posted, as your decisions evolve.

onrbikes

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 11:55:31 am »
Here's the wife about to attack Zola pass near Srinigar, India on her RST. She loves the thing.
Although she ran with 1.75 they are tight with mudguards .

This was part of a 9000km trip.

Now its Marathon plus 1.5". Much faster and bullet proof.
Not a fan of the supremes. Too expensive, too slippery and too many flats.

RobertL

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 07:12:06 pm »
What a great photo - many thanks for posting it - I also like the throw away line about the 9000km trip.

With that equipment/rig how many days could you travel before checking in for supplies?

onrbikes

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 12:25:02 am »

That trip is on www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/europeandindia

In India we didn't have cooking gear but Europe we did.
Interestingly we only ever carried a days worth of food as there was always somewhere near.
We think it pointless to carry food if it can be bought daily, but carry staples.
In the bags are lots of day to day living stuff.