Author Topic: Speed Shifter Removal  (Read 6578 times)

j1of1

Speed Shifter Removal
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:15:26 pm »
I'm replacing the handlebars on my Nomad (comfort bars to Jones H-bar).  Therefore I have to remove my Rohloff Speed Shifter.  My question:   Can i reuse the shifter cables that go from my speed shifter to my mech box?  Thanks!

Jan

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Speed Shifter Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 11:34:59 pm »
Can i reuse the shifter cables that go from my speed shifter to my mech box?
Hi Jan!

Ooh, boy...I think it unlikely, 'cos the little grub screws that secure the cable ends also tend to deform them, preventing reuse.

Having disassembled my own external shift-box for a complete lubing, I *think* if one were very careful in removing the cables, it might be possible to cut them cleanly, super-glue the ends to prevent fraying, and reuse them provided there is enough room to screw in the cable adjusters to compensate for the amount the cables are cut short.

That's a lot of "ifs" and if (one more!) the cables have been used a bit, you may as well fit a new set and have the assurance of a full lifetime of trouble-free use from each. Ordinary 1.1mm indexed derailleur cables are used with the EX shift-box, so they should not be too expensive. Reuse might well amount to false economy, given the labor involved. I'd fit new and be done with it.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:37:36 pm by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:03:25 pm »
... Ordinary 1.1mm indexed derailleur cables are used with the EX shift-box, so they should not be too expensive. ...

If I recall the head of the cable has to be pretty small and a Shimano cable won't work but a Campy might?  But I am not sure, if someone knows for sure, please say so.  Thanks.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:47:50 pm »
... Ordinary 1.1mm indexed derailleur cables are used with the EX shift-box, so they should not be too expensive. ...

If I recall the head of the cable has to be pretty small and a Shimano cable won't work but a Campy might?  But I am not sure, if someone knows for sure, please say so.  Thanks.

I reprint an entire post from 2012 which you can find in this thread http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4348.msg20400#msg20400

It's a matter of convenience, I have a reel of bog standard gear outer and one of Goodridge brake outer in the garage(9 bikes to maintain). If the Goodridge is ok for the Rohloff then I don't need anything else, if it isn't then I need to choose another style of brake outer just for the Rohloff cable changes.

Any experiences of using extra stiff brake outers?

I have the cables my bike came with, so no experience of changing them but I'll make two points:

1.A Rohloff gearchange is accomplished by pulling two cables. There is no pushing, so the stiffness of the outer is nearly irrelevant.

2. I'll let Chalo Colina and Pete Cresswell make the other point. These exchanges appeared on rec. bicycles.tech some years ago:

From Chalo Colina:

Andre Jute wrote:
>
> While I'm ordering service/spare parts and tools for the first annual
> service of my Utopia Kranich and its Rohloff gearbox at about 2000km,
> do I need to order spare gear cables for my EXT klickbox, either for a
> routine swap-out or to keep on standby for a likely breakage. I note
> that Andy Blance of Thorn reckons that even the dicier internal cable
> setup is very unlikely to break before 10K.
>
> Blance also says the EXT gearbox cable on the Rohloff is standard
> dimension normal brake cable. (The internal cable is apparently
> thinner.) Has anyone used standard brake cable, outer and lining
> instead of the Rohloff's own supply? With what result?

Rohloff's external clickbox and shifter are wired with two totally
normal 1.2mm shift cables.  You don't have to stock special spares for
that job.  Depending on your setup, you might need tandem-length
cables.  A quick survey with a tailor's tape measure will tell you if
you need to keep some extra-long cables handy; normal shift cables are
2.0m long.

Rewiring a Rohloff shifter is an _odious_ job, though.  You have to
get a whole series of operations exactly right, in the right order,
before you fasten the cables down.  The cables are fastened with grub
screws, and once tightened even lightly, they can't be reinserted into
the clickbox drum again.  So if you forget any detail in the cable
component stack or in the routing of the cable, you have to begin
again with new cables, starting at the shifter spool.  I think the
most times I have had to do this at one sitting is four times in a
row.  (It's not just outright mistakes that can stop the show.  If it
doesn't feel quite right and you want to try changing something, you
have to start over from step one.)

When the time comes to replace Rohloff shift cables, have every single
bit ready in advance.  Have every tool available that you might want--
bench grinder, fourth hand, precision ruler, whatever.  Have the
printed instruction sheet in hand and refer to it at every step.  Do
not reuse a single piece of housing or ferrule, lest this seemingly
sensible and economical measure require you to repeat the job.

But hey-- at least it uses standard cables.

Chalo

From PeteCresswell:

Per Andre Jute:

>Thanks, Chalo. I've saved this post. From the video on the Rohloff
>site I thought it looked like a tricky job -- and remembered that
>before this you described it as "odious"

I'll concur with "odious".
For me the recurring problem was getting the length of cable that ?protrudes past the housing exactly right.
To that end, I cut a piece of housing to exactly the right ?length.
I've done several replacements with the housing piece as my ?length guide and haven't had any problems.
But I still have a half-dozen shift cables ready just in case ?when I start the job.

Hope that helps.

Andre Jute

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:49:26 pm by Andre Jute »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:51:59 pm »
I've replaced my cables a couple times so far. I just get regular shifter cables at my Local Bicycle Shop - whatever they give me when I just ask for shifter cables!

But just to replace handlebars - I bet you don't have to undo the shifter cables at all! Can't you just slide the shifter off the old bars and slide it onto the new bars, without messing with the cables at all?

At this point I have the idea of replacing my shifter cables on a regular maintenance schedule. It's not a whole lot of fun having a cable break out on the road! Probably I have like a bent housing or something which is stressing my cables and making them break early. I gotta say, there are the real professional mechanics who can get everything singing in delightful harmony, and then there are utter hacks like me. I like to think that if I go around the cycle of failure & inadequate repair enough times... maybe in my next life a little of that harmony will start to emerge!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 01:13:45 am »
On occasion, I've found the leaded ends of indexed derailleur cables to be a just a smidge too large in diameter to seat fully in the bed-stops of my derailleur shift levers. When that occurs on tour, I simply file them down with a few stroked of the little fingernail file on my Swiss Army knife and all is well. The lead is soft and can be removed quickly. I have sometimes had good luck rubbing the lead ends under my fingers on smooth concrete.

The same technique would work nicely to downsize the leaded ends in case of a tight fit in the Rohloff shifter.

Rubbing the top of canned food cans on smooth concrete or rocks is also a great way of opening them quickly and easily if you forget to pack your can opener. Just rub through the rolled edge, and the lid comes off cleanly and with no sharp edges, just like a side-cutting can opener. A lid removed in this way can also be replaced to keep insects or blowing sand out of the rest of the can if you cook only a little at a time. If it is cold, I will sometimes to this at dinner, keeping the rest preserved in cold night air or partially submerged in a creek to heat up for breakfast the next morning.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 02:59:55 am »
Ok, it appears my recollection was a bit off if most cables will work fine and those that don't only need a quick adjustment with a file.  Sorry if I caused anyone to be concerned.

j1of1

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:57:17 am »
All
  The Jones' H-Bar handlebars are on and they went on a lot easier than I thought they would.  1) Ergon grips came off easily; 2) brake lever on left slid off Thorn comfort bars after releasing brake cable; 3) Rohloff speed shifter - no need to disconnect from mech; removed rubber grip then loosen bolts and slid it right off; 4) removed rear brake lever same way as I did front brake lever; 5)  removed from handlebar from stem.  Oh no - new handlebar is a 31.8mm while Thorn handlebar was 25.1 (I think that is right).  Required new stem which took a few days to order; 6) new stem put on; then new handlebars then just reversed what I did to take everything off.  Everything works great and the new handlebars (Jones H-Bar, black, aluminum - who can afford the carbon ones??) do exactly what I wanted them to do.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

Jan

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 12:27:23 pm »
Congratulations. I just love hearing of rearrangements on someone's bike that went smoother than expected.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 06:53:45 pm »
I hope you don't have the same problem as me.
My shifter was wielded onto my bars.
Well, it appeared that way. As hard as I tried there was no way it would budge.
Finished up buying a new shifter.
And I used new cables as well.
Not sure how long the shifter had been on the bars but I guess at least 10 years of rough weather caused the problem.
Matt

Have you removed yours yet?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:40 pm »
I hope you don't have the same problem as me.
My shifter was wielded onto my bars.

Wow, must be corroded on.  It never occurred to me to check, but maybe I should put a bit of grease on there like I do with unpainted seatposts.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 11:31:04 pm »
...maybe I should put a bit of grease on there...
I stuck a wrap of black electrical tape beneath mine.

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 02:38:33 pm »
...maybe I should put a bit of grease on there...
I stuck a wrap of black electrical tape beneath mine.

All the best,

Dan.

Excellent advice. I think it was some kind of chemical reaction between the shifter and the bars.
Humpert.
Nice bars but I fancied a change to Thorn Comfort bars.
One of those occasions when a simple job - swap the bars - becomes a why the heck did I ever start this? - job.
 >:(

j1of1

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 01:14:37 am »
Just a follow up to let you know how is it to ride with the Jones H bar with the Rohloff speed shifter...terrific.   Very comfortable.  If  you want to go to a more upright position, but can't get there by fiddling around the headset and clamp consider the H-Bar.  Worked for me.

Best to all

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 07:32:23 am »
Great news
Any pictures?