Author Topic: Thorn Sterling discussion  (Read 3438 times)

Swislon

Thorn Sterling discussion
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:35:52 pm »
Guys,
Seeing the Thorn Sterling on Ebay has got me daydreaming, like you do!
I quite fancy riding on the green lanes in the Yorkshire Dales and the lakes. Think Simeon's rides and photos.
The Sterling seems the ideal bike.
What do you guys think and what do you think about the Ebay Sterling?
On close look there is a lot of rust about on the components.
If he lives in Brighton I guess thats not surprising but I'd have to change them which will add to the cost.

What do you think?

jags

Re: Thorn Sterling discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:25:59 pm »
wELL DEPENDS ON WHAT MONEY U  Give IT FOR .

if its rusty  forget it  if it even looks rusty forget it obviously the owner didnt look after it.

thats my 2cent worth good hunting .

jags
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:43:38 pm by jags »

in4

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 09:01:08 pm »
Hmm I'm thinking pressure washed within an inch of its life but I could be wrong.

Brian ( rafiki ) our in-house photo wizz rides a Sterling in Spain. Photo here: http://www.rafikiphoto.com/favourites/h459ebf4d#h459ebf4d

Im sure he'd be happy to answer any Sterling related questions you might have.

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 09:43:02 pm »
I rode a Thorn Ripio for about 3 years, a mixture of trails and quite long (for me) rides.  I think that the Ripio (derailleur) is broadly similar to the Sterling (Rohloff).

Very good bike, stable, fun, strong, reliable.  Can be ridden with either Mt Tura rigid of 100mm suspension forks.  Disc compatible at rear, and at front I guess, though not with the Mt Tura fork.

The only reason I changed it for a Sherpa (swapping most of the componentry over) is that I wanted a livelier bike on the predominantly road / lightweight touring rides I tend to do now.  The lightweight Sherpa spec suits me better.  But the Ripio was superb and I am sure a well looked after Sterling would be the same.

I still have my Ripio frame, and 2 forks for it - I was hoping that one of my sons would express and interest, but not so far . . . . .

Lewis

Swislon

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 09:57:30 am »
Feet very planted this morning and day dreaming evaporated.

I think a Sterling would be an ideal bike for the green lanes but not the one on Ebay.

Whatever the reason for the rust it is unacceptable.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 12:17:48 pm »
I would feel the same, Steve.

Best,

Dan.

macspud

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 04:29:32 pm »
I felt the same when I first saw it. Looking at it again, I'm not altogether sure that it is rust, maybe red/brown dust? I'd contact the seller and ask about it and get some close up photos.

Hubs

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 07:54:26 am »
I spent a while looking at the photos pretty closely; I'd go for it if it was a smaller frame.. I thought the smaller areas were not deep corrosion but entrapped dirt.more pics would be worth a message!