Author Topic: Rohloff hub screws fell out?  (Read 8849 times)

jamesgbradbury

Rohloff hub screws fell out?
« on: October 06, 2015, 10:22:50 pm »
Hi,

After a long ride on our tandem I noticed that the Rohloff hub was leaking oil and more than just a couple of drops that it did before. On closer inspection I spotted that the whole non-drive side was ajar with only one of the 8 screws left in!   :o

Background: After several spoke breakages I carefully replaced all the spokes, one by one, with advice from Roger Musson's book. I was careful to put the spokes in the same way as before and fix any twist. I did not touch those screws and I never have in nearly ten years of owning the hub. The spokes seemed fine for the first 200km, no pings or twangs despite lots of effort.

So what is likely the problem? Did some joker just undo the screws while we left the bike locked up outside last weekend? Is it a case of send back to Rohloff or can I just order some replacement screws?

Advice appreciated.

Mike Ayling

Re: Rohloff hub screws fell out?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:51:46 am »
Hi,

After a long ride on our tandem I noticed that the Rohloff hub was leaking oil and more than just a couple of drops that it did before. On closer inspection I spotted that the whole non-drive side was ajar with only one of the 8 screws left in!   :o

Background: After several spoke breakages I carefully replaced all the spokes, one by one, with advice from Roger Musson's book. I was careful to put the spokes in the same way as before and fix any twist. I did not touch those screws and I never have in nearly ten years of owning the hub. The spokes seemed fine for the first 200km, no pings or twangs despite lots of effort.

So what is likely the problem? Did some joker just undo the screws while we left the bike locked up outside last weekend? Is it a case of send back to Rohloff or can I just order some replacement screws?

Advice appreciated.

Did some joker just undo the screws while we left the bike locked up outside last weekend?
 That would be my thoughts also.

One of the USP's for a Rohloff hub is the non-dished wheel build meaning that both sides are stressed evenly and spoke breakages should be minimal.

Who built your wheel in the first place?

What distance have you ridden in the ten years?

Mike (who is now going out to the shed to check the torque on the screws in our tandem hub and the one on the Mercury1)

jamesgbradbury

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 12:23:40 pm »
It's a Thorn Tandem. We've done about 1-2000 miles a year.

The wheel was rebuilt by SJS with CSS Rigida rims a couple of years ago, it was fine until last March when spokes started breaking (it looked like mid-spoke corrosion), so I replaced them all as described. I have no idea whether this is related to the screws coming undone, but I mention it so that someone more knowledgeable has all the information.

My current plan is to order a new set of screws from Rohloff, if I can work out the part number, and then do an oil change, which was due next month anyway.

But I'd still like to know why this happened in case it happens again. The Rohloff has been pretty good and maintenance-free (apart from oil changes) til now. I'd like to be able to continue to be confident in it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:50:08 pm by jamesgbradbury »

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:15:09 pm »
The hub cap will need resetting on the internal (special tool required) you will need a new hub cap gasket and screws.  The new screws have oil proof loctite on them, I think 10 years ago they didn't. I've only seen this once on an old hub with a disc brake that overheated on a long decent.  We or any other service partner would be able to repair.

Dave Whittle
Thorn Head Mechanic

01278 441542

jags

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:37:05 pm »
hah there u go the fool proof rohloff my arse. :o :o

sorry just had to get that in.

jamesgbradbury

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:42:56 am »
Dave, many thanks for the advice. I'll be in touch.

jags, I thought it said you were a "senior" member?   ;)

jags

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 11:41:50 am »
don't mind me james im just winding u  guys up. i think everyone on here knows i  not a rohloff fan i'm old school.
when u buy a bike with a rohloff set up u should  get a box of happy pills with it so as when it breaks down you can smile while you walk the next 50 miles to the bike shop. ;)

jamesgbradbury

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 03:23:20 pm »
jags,

I'm a bit puzzled by your apparent need to belittle other's choices when those choices don't affect you. What's wrong with each to their own? Your response is a bit like a driver stopping when he sees a cyclist with a puncture and tells them to buy a car.

What do you think the effect on other people is? What do you think it makes them think of you? Maybe you don't care as you're not using your real name.

don't mind me james im just winding u  guys up.
You can act like it's a bit of fun and excuse yourself, but you're still being unhelpful and smug.   :-\

Donerol

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:01:12 pm »
It's ok, James - it's just Jags being Jags. As a newbie you won't be used to his mad Irish humour but the forum wouldn't be the same without him.

jags

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 05:24:32 pm »
now now james be nice im just winding you up.
to be honest i know sweet feck all about rohloff except of course there well out of the reach  of this kids pocket way to expensive  for this kid.

anyway don't be offended  no harm intended,.

oh te name is ANTO . ;)

jags

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 05:52:41 pm »
It's ok, James - it's just Jags being Jags. As a newbie you won't be used to his mad Irish humour but the forum wouldn't be the same without him.

;)sure it's only a bit of craic no more. ;D ;D
i was never smug before  :'(

alfie1952

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:55:14 pm »
James,

The members who have been around a while remember when Anto (jags) left the forum for a short while,his  banter and irish humour was sorely missed. A much respected fellow on this and other forums. ......... Jags that's another pint you owe me. ;D

Regards Alfie
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:08:04 pm by alfie1952 »

geocycle

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 08:09:17 pm »
Never trust anyone who thinks displaying his sprockets to the elements rather than covering them in a nice oil bath is progress 8)

jags

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 08:11:08 pm »
i didn't think you were counting Alfie  ;D ;D

the thing i don't like about rohloff , well theres a few  :o
but what happens if your on a desert tour like Dan's or il'padrone epic adventures   and the feckin thing breaks i reckon your walking.
but of course i could be wrong usually am  ;D.............

jags.

John Saxby

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 08:40:20 pm »
Ah, but Anto, it's the lads of the desert that know about these things, and that's why the Magic German Device is their hub-'n'-gear of choice, likely to get you there & back so long as you have enough water and the crocs don't get you, etc...