Author Topic: New Sherpa  (Read 6789 times)

lewis noble

New Sherpa
« on: September 15, 2015, 11:11:42 am »
I got a new Sherpa in July (well, technically, a new frame and Rav 853 forks, and swapped most other components over from my Ripio), and thought I would let people know how it was going.  I’ve tried to post photos, as per Dan’s directions, but have not succeeded so far . .  I’ll keep trying!

I have had a Ripio since summer 2013 – my previous bike (a Cube Acid – very nice bike) had been stolen, and I found it hard to find something I wanted at a price I could afford with the insurance money.  The Ripio was a ‘downtime’ buildup from Thorn, as they were trying to move on their Ripio frames, which had not sold as well as they had hoped.  It was available built up at a very good price, with good components, XT brakes, LS mech etc.  I bought it, and rode it a lot – so much that it became clear that it was not the bike for me long term – too heavy (15kg + even after I had reduced weight as much as possible, new wheels etc) and harder work up hills than I had expected.

More and more of my riding became day rides on mostly good surfaces, occasional trails / towpaths – plus, and most important, urban riding on pretty bad potholed surfaces – in my view some of the hardest on a bike you can get.

The Ripio was stable and responsive, but I wanted something lighter and better for longer rides.

I should have bought a Sherpa or something at the outset, but tried to save money with the ‘end-of-line’ Ripio and ended up spending more that I needed to . . . . most of us have done that!

What made my mind up was the Menu C2 in the new Mega brochure.  So, I bit the bullet and placed an order.

SJSC were v helpful, as always.  They put 2 frames aside for me, but at a fitting session it became clear that 530S was the one for me – short in stature and shortish legs, and used to a more upright posture than many riders.

Dave Whittle built up the bike, using the kit from the Ripio.  In summary –

Red 530S frame and Rav 853 forks.
DT Swiss wheels, 1.6 Supremes.
XT brakes and levers
XT cranks (165 mm) 22/32/44 I think chainrings, 9 speed 11 – 32.
Tubus Vega rack
Guards, with clearance for larger tyres

And how does it go??  Very well indeed.  Light (12.4 kg ready to roll with rack, guards and fittings all in), better on hills – I suspect because it is lighter, and different geometry??  Very stable and responsive, and good on the potholed urban roads mentioned above.  In reality, very few comfortable bikes are less than that weight.

Friends and others suggested I look at moving to 700 wheels (e.g. Club Tour), but I think the lightweight 26” build suits me better, quite apart from the cost factor of (yet another!) set of wheels or rims.

The only problem I have had is being saddle sore!! Mainly because I have ridden it more, which is a good sign.  I am confident I can sort this out with minor posture changes and so on.

We cycled quite a bit in the Jura, Eastern France, in August - an area we know well, long hills, then the Veloscenie in N W France – Mont St Michel to Chartres.  The bike was brilliant, only problems were heavy rain, wind, and the wet, ‘sticky’ surface of the gravel ex-railway trails. 

So I am delighted.  Gears work v well, no problems at all.  I sometimes miss the superb hydr disc brakes of the Cube, but in reality, the Sherpa brakes work very well indeed, good in the wet (Kool Stop Dual Compound pads) and I like the simplicity etc of the rim brakes.

I can keep up with my wife now on hills!  She is a keen rower, 10kg lighter than me, v strong legs – powers away at about 30 / minute.  She has already knackered one BB bearing. On the Ripio, she left me standing. Now, pretty evenly matched.

The Ripio frame / Mt Tura forks??  In my garage . . .  Maybe I will sell them, or build up into a commuting / leisure / childseat bike for my son, a powerful rider who needs a sturdy bike.  There was nothing wrong with the Ripio at all – but my needs changed.

Future rides – St Malo to Nice next year?

I will do my best to get the photos up here.

Lewis - Sheffield

lewis noble

Re: New Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:42:31 pm »
Picture posting failed again . . . I must get my IT adviser (one of the kids) to help me with this. 

I should have mentioned something about the Rav 853 forks - described as 'very comfortable . . . ' Are they??

I don't know enough about the subject to judge, but yes, to me they seem very good indeed.  Less jarring through the wrists (a problem in the past for me, and the reason I bought a Cube with a sus fork - unnecessary, looking at posture helped more than the fork) than I have had in the past, certainly less than with the Mt Tura forks.  I rode all day in France had no significant wrist pain at all, the first time for years. 

The fact I cannot put a rack on the Rav forks is not a problem for me.  So yes, the they are expensive, but worth it for me.

Lewis

in4

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 01:54:19 pm »
Perhaps you might try reducing the photo's size/quality so it is no more than 500kb. Click on 'Attachments and other options" Click on 'Browse' and find the photo on your PC/Mac. For this purpose I often save a copy to the Desktop. Once you've selected your photo simply click on 'Post' and all should work.

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 01:57:45 pm »
Thanks, Lewis, for a thorough report -- good to know that the pieces have come together for you.  Look forward to the photos when the IT gods repent and relent :-)

As a PS on the saddle question:  saw a thread on crazyguy recently which a post highlighting the RIDO R2 saddle. Not one I've used--my Brooks B17 works fine for me, but the RIDO looked to be an interesting option.  Here's the link:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/board/message/?o=tS&thread_id=670606&page=1&nested=0&v=r

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:34:03 pm »
Yes, in4, reducing size is next step. Photos were taken on a pretty good camera, lots of pixies, and things have come up as too large before.

Thanks John, I have used a Rido before, v good, I still have it in garage. Working on posture, I think I was riding too ' high' in France, but all helpful advice. I'm using the Thorn 'default' velo at present, actually pretty good, will update later.

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 03:57:53 am »
For Lewis...

Such a lovely bike.

All the best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 08:19:27 am »
Thanks Dan, for posting that at such a difficult time for you. That was a 'phone' picture, sent to Dan while we were in France. Sherpa in a vineyard.

Since return, I have flipped the stem, bars slightly lower. Will resize newer photos, or try posting phone photos.

Lewis

jags

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 10:08:26 am »
very nice lewis  ;)

alfie1952

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 04:30:08 pm »
Lovely red Sherpa Lewis... Enjoy!

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:41:38 pm »
Nice red boike, Lewis -- enough to make even an Italian envious! Being in a vineyard makes it all the more attractive :-)

lewis noble

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 02:18:08 pm »
Trying again . . . .

jags

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 02:20:54 pm »
 8) Class

lewis noble

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 02:29:22 pm »
And some more.

small in the photo title refers to small size of photo . . .   Resized them my a hint from Youtube, tried to compose email incorporating them, resize window came up.  Resized and resaved. I am sure there is a better way, but at least it has got them on here.

I use thumbie shifters, the adapted bar end ones from SJSC.  On the whole, good - my thumbs have played up a lot over the years with pushing rapid fire levers away to get into lower gears.  No problems in that area at all with these shifters, though it does mean that grip on bars is momentarily reduced in my experience, and less space available on bars.  But I will be keeping them.

Lewis - Sheffield

[Rotated last photo -- Dan]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:47:54 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 03:00:11 pm »
is that paracord u have on the rear stays.

lewis noble

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 03:25:12 pm »
Hello Anto

The paintwork is so good I want to keep it that way as long as poss!!

The red protectors are Lizard Skin, but I was unable to get the right sizes for all, and it isn't cheap.  The black is SJSC frame protector stuff which I had from other bikes, it's on the SJSC website.

I might ask Father Christmas for some more red Lizard skin. 

Lewis