Author Topic: Raven Sport Tour 2012  (Read 2689 times)

docmatix

Raven Sport Tour 2012
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:12:40 am »
I'm thinking of selling my Raven Sport Tour, purchased new at the end of 2012, and thought I'd offer it to Thorn enthusiasts before putting it on eBay.
I intended to take it touring but have only used it for commuting - it's done around 8K km - and perhaps someone else might get more use out of it.
If it sells I'll probably buy a lighter, cheaper bike for riding to work.

Here's a brief description for those of you who aren't familiar with the bike - more details and photos are available on request.

The frame is classic Reynolds steel with the geometry of a solid, sporty tourer. All the braze-ons and dropouts are made from stainless steel, so that when the cables eventually rub the paint away the bosses won’t rust. The handlebars are straight, to accommodate the Rholoff gear shifters, and with Ergon anatomical grips provide an upright and comfortable riding position.

The transmission is based on the Rholoff Speedhub. There are 14 gears, each providing a 13% increment over the previous one, with a total range of 526% from top to bottom. The bike has a 46 tooth chainring and a 17 tooth sprocket, giving a gear range of 19 – 103 inches. The chain and rear sprocket are also made by Rholhoff, to match the high quality hub, while the chainring is one of Thorn’s own design. The Shimano bottom bracket is fitted eccentrically and secured by a pair of bolts, which can be adjusted to tension the chain, and the crank arms are Shimano Deore XT.

The bike has 26 inch wheels built from DT Swiss rims with 32 Sapim double butted spokes and a Hope front hub. This makes for very light but strong wheels, ideal for light touring and commuting. The Rholoff hub allows the back wheel to have a symmetrical spoke pattern, making it stronger than a dished derailleur wheel. After trying out a few different tyres and dealing with a few punctures, I’ve settled on Schwalbe Marathon 1.5 inch tyres. They’re extremely tough, provide comfortable and secure handling on rough roads and their all-black style gives the bike a classic look.

The Shimano XTR V-brakes are fitted behind the seat stays, as you’d expect, and behind the forks, which you wouldn’t. This unusual touch from Thorn apparently improves braking power while reducing the potential for squeal. So far they’ve shown quiet sticking power on the steepest and wettest roads I’ve been able to find. The Orbit headset, alloy stem and seat post are standard Thorn issue. The bike also came with good quality SKS mudguards and a Blackburn rack.

The saddle is a Brooks B17 and I’ve fitted my favourite pedals, which have a Shimano SPD on one side and a flat platform on the reverse. Neither the saddle nor pedals will be included in the sale.

The bike cost over £2k when new and I'd be looking for around £1,400. I live in Teesside/North Yorks and we could discuss inspection or delivery etc once I know if there's any interest.

Mike

in4

Re: Raven Sport Tour 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:46:26 am »
Unless I've missed it, can you tell us what size it is :)

docmatix

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:21:38 pm »
Should have included the size in my original post.
It's a 536L medium which is just right for me; I'm about 5 ft 10, 178cm.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 02:49:12 pm »
Wonderful description of a lovely bike, Mike. Best of luck on the sale; very considerate of you to offer it here first.

Best,

Dan.

docmatix

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:04:04 am »
Dan,

thanks for that.
I'm attaching a couple of shots as requested by pm.

Mike

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 09:35:01 pm »
Fantastic blue color, Mike. That "cockpit view" must be tempting many to reach for their wallets.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

docmatix

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 11:50:33 am »
This bike has now found a good home. I hope it gives its new owner many miles and years of cycling pleasure.
Now I'm off to the bike shop....