Author Topic: sender magnet  (Read 3353 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
sender magnet
« on: July 31, 2015, 10:39:38 pm »
A couple weeks ago my speedometer stopped working. The display was working fine and no indication of a low battery. A month before I had a similar symptom and replaced the battery in the sender which fixed it. So very unlikely that it was a low battery again. I pretty much gave up and decided the universe was telling me that less electronics is the way to go.

While I was out for a short spin today, I thought, hmmm, did I really check that magnet carefully? So I stopped the bike and took a careful look. Aha! The magnet was aligned to reach inward from the spoke, away from the sender. So I just reached down and twisted it 180 around the spoke, so it would pass close by the sender. Voila! Now it works again.

Simple is good!

lewis noble

Re: sender magnet
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:57:13 pm »
We've all done things like that, Jim . . . .

I fitted new batteries, reprogrammed the thing twice, then realised I had put the magnet back on the wrong side . .  . .

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:35:40 pm »
Easily done!  A related top tip from another forum was always to replace the battery in the sender unit and move that one up to the display (as the display usually goes first).  Being systematic means you never replace the wrong one.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:05:19 pm »
I always carry a dosre magnetic.
Never needed to use it but I know when I don't carry one, the wheel one will fall off.
Dids law.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink