Author Topic: Hi All! Forum back up, but with some bugs  (Read 24431 times)

David Simpson

Re: Hi All! Forum back up, but with some bugs
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 06:53:12 pm »
Hi Dan --

Perhaps the Thorn logo at the top left of the page could link to the Thorn page (http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/), not to the main Thorn Forum page (http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php). We can already get to the main Thorn Forum page by clicking on "Home" in the menu near the top of the page. I can't find any link back to the Thorn page, and the Thorn logo seems like an obvious place for such a link.

Thanks,
Dave

rualexander

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 07:24:54 pm »
Dan,
The "new" button in the thread titles doesn't seem to work properly, seems to lead to the start of the thread rather than the first post since last read?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 08:15:11 pm »
Hi All!

Many thanks for the continued bug reports; very helpful. Some of the problems should be resolving by today. If not, please continue to advise. The login issue seems to be resolved for both my admin and dummy regular account, but I'm not everyone.

Keep in mind, with the move to SMF v. 2.x, things will be in slightly different places and look a bit different than on the old v. 1.x. Sometimes, things are "hiding" in plain sight, having mastered the art of camouflage.  ;)

As for other issues, I would suggest cleaning your browser cookies and seeing if that helps in seeing updates.

In regard to a few other issues....

If you have an avatar that is not showing up, you'll need to upload a new one. The earliest ones remained through the move, but the newer ones did not make the trip. I need to update mine as well.

I wish the URL was back to the old thorncycles.co.uk/forums, but the server at the main site doesn't support php forums, so the Forum gets its own URL.

Adrian has been and is continuing to work hard on these issues; thanks, Adrian!

All the best,

Dan.

macspud

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 11:48:05 pm »
Hi Dan,
I'm glad the forum is back online, I was feeling withdrawal symptoms  ;).
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but hopefully there is a work around.
I use my PC from an arm chair at a distance (I hate being up close to the monitor screen), when reading the forum I just increase the display size (Ctrl+), the text used to rejig so that all the script was on screen at once, now it's stopped doing so and if I increase the display size too much I lose some of the screen off the side/s of the monitor i.e. it just magnifies without rejigging the text.
Anyway, thank you Dan and Adrian for the work you're doing.

rualexander

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 12:32:54 am »
Dan,
The "new" button in the thread titles doesn't seem to work properly, seems to lead to the start of the thread rather than the first post since last read?
Seems to work ok after visiting a thread once, then next time takes me to the newest post.
First visit to a thread since the recent changes, the button takes me to the start of the thread even if I've visited the thread previously before the changes.

Andre Jute

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 07:48:08 pm »
Great news, Dan! Nice to see all the usual suspects again.

Looks like, after I gave the system my username and password again (my browser normally signs me in), I'm good to go, with my avatar remembered, so nothing to kibitz.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:51:41 pm by Andre Jute »

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 07:18:10 pm »
Just testing that my uploaded avatar appears

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:51 am »
Worth calling Armourtex in London, pretty sure they can re-finish and retain the headbadge.

Automotive primer doesn't work terribly well unless you blast the bare metal first to give it a key, hi-build primer works a bit better. The actual tubing won't make much difference.

High Moors Drifter

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 08:44:16 pm »
I'm still having problems with the login. I have to enter the username and password every time. Am I the only one still experiencing this problem.

Id

jags

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 09:03:18 pm »
yeah me to well i have to log in a couple times.
and the spell check ain't up either if this keeps lads there will be hell to pay. :o ;)

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2015, 10:35:22 pm »
Duly noted and many thanks; I'll let Adrian know there's a few things still amiss.

As for the login, check to make sure you've allowed your browser to accept cookies. I don't think that is the issue here, but it wouldn't hurt, as logins are stored with persistent cookies.

All the best,

Dan.

macspud

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 10:56:24 pm »
When logging in there are three boxes, Login with username, password and session length. Change the session length to your required time.
If you want your computer to remember your username and password you can change the password (click on account settings under profile) and you will be asked if you want to remember username and password to your computer, click on yes.
If you want to keep your original password just change it back again and you will be asked if you want to remember them to your computer.
If you don't want to log in every time then change the session time to forever, remember the usename and password to your computer and then every time you open the page on that computer you will automatically be logged in.
I'm not sure if there is an easier way but that is what I did and it worked fine.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:25:07 am by macspud »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 12:37:09 am »
Many thanks, Mac'; that's actually the preferred way, but I am still getting isolated reports of on-persistent log-ins.

Please, Anto and Id...can you try this and let us know if it cleared things up for you?

I appreciate any reports of niggles so we can clear them. I think Adrian has done a great job; it is just a big project and little things can easily slip through the net. You all are our eyes and ears for finding things we don't, thanks to different preferences and configurations. Thanks!

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 05:06:04 am »
I find that at http://www.thorncyclesforum.co.uk/ I appear not to be logged in.

But when I navigate into the forum at all, even to the home page http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php - then I appear to be logged in.

If I then return to http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/ in the same tab, I am still logged in.

But at that URL in a new tabbed, again I appear not to be logged in. This is Firefox 39.0.3

This behavior is no problem for me, but maybe these observations will help diagnose any irregularities others may be experiencing.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 07:14:25 am »
Many thanks, Jim; I'll check it out on my machines as well.

All the best,

Dan.