Author Topic: SKS Fenders  (Read 6222 times)

joesoap

SKS Fenders
« on: July 05, 2015, 10:43:28 pm »
Dear SKS, ( easyfit mudguards) can I please have my weekend back?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:09:41 am by joesoap »

Andre Jute

Re: SKS Fenders
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 12:01:40 am »
Laughing out loud. SKS mudguards are designed for OEM fitting, and resetting, if ever necessary, by a mechanic who knows what he's doing. On my 60mm Big Apple Liteskins, there's nowhere more than 5mm of clearance between the SKS P65s and the tyre.

Since I'm several countries and two seas away from the makers of my bike and their factory-trained techs, I've found that adjustment is made easier by a logical process, which starts with washers added or subtracted to set the attachment to the crossbar near the bottom bracket just right, and getting the height of the mudguard at fork crown attachment absolutely correct with every other part of it loose, and then treating the stainless streel struts like spokes in a wheel to be progressively adjusted, a very little bit at a time. On my Utopia there was an additional custom bracket at the back that fixed to Tubus made ali rack, but both the rack and the bracket are long gone (good riddance!). I used an 8mm nutsetter in a stubby, thick ratchet-screwdriver designed for handicapped people to shortcut some of the frustration. I also have a very short (two-finger operation so you don't twist off small fasteners) right-angle ratchet driver for standard screwdriver bits that will take the same nutsetter, and that works well too; it's made by Faithful and sold with a box of bits, and I saw it at the hardware store quite recently, so it's still made.

My first adjustment held for seven years, and when necessary I adjusted the chain just so, sliding the whole wheel only a fraction of a millimetre in the sliders (a problem Thorn Rohloff riders don't have because they have an EBB) to avoid having to adjust the mudguard. So I know how you feel.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:52:36 am »
Hi, Iain and All!

Iain, I feel your pain, but there is a better way from Danneauxville.

I've found the secret to fitting mudguards quickly and accurately is to tape spacers to the inflated tires.

Choose how much 'guard-to-tire clearance you desire, then find spacers to match. I've used everything from aquarium tubing placed lengthwise to stacks of coins held with electrical tape.

Place the spacers on the tire and tape them in place. Then, place the mudguard atop the spacers and also tape it in place. Hold the brake shut with a rubber band so the wheel/spacers/mudguard won't turn.

Now, your hands are free to fit the spacers between 'guard and bridges, and to fit the stays. Adjustment is all on one go, and the fenderline comes out perfectly even all the way 'round. You only have to remove the wheels once to drill the holes through the 'guards, not at all if you use a hanging bridge. Piece of cake, and when pressed, I can do a bike's worth in 30 minutes if I've pre-gathered the needed hardware and tools to hand. <don't hate on me; I remember the Bad Old Days 35 years ago before I developed this method and said "never again"> I've taught shop employees this method and the managers gave me a prize for increasing productivity and profit margins.

BTW, I prefer a minimum of 8mm at the centerline for road bikes used near Fall leaves (to help prevent jamming), and 10-12mm clearance for expedition bikes (mud and hot tar clearance). I hang my mudflaps on the outside to prevent a "mud shelf" from forming and jamming the tires. It also allows the flap to bend rearward more readily in case it snags an obstruction.

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks weekends are very valuable)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:26:07 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:27:46 am »

If Schwalbe didn't make the tyres so big, and SKS didn't make the mudguards so small, we wouldn't need such a variety of methods to fit what should a simple component.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »
I installed my own P65s, including bending up the rear stays to fit the Thorn Expedition rack. That's what took the longest time. (Not the best picture, but I haven't got many without panniers in the way.):

My big bugbear is that I can't find the nice rubber nose cone like Thorn uses on the P55s, or even mudflaps (the P65s, sourced online from someone other than SJS, came with neither). Any suggestions?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 05:57:14 pm »
Hi Sam!

After my Extrawheel trailer cracked the rear 'guard on my Nomad, I searched high and low to source a replacement without luck -- except from SJS Cycles. At the time I ordered, shipping was as much as the guards (USD $100 total, ouch), but they now offer an "untracked" method that is considerably cheaper and we'll worth considering.

I can tell you SKS' US office doesn't stock the same model or replacement parts, and I came up short in Germany, The Netherlands, and France as well. Those little rubber nose cones are such a nice finishing touch, and the mudflaps and rear reflector add such a premium appearance.

Nice job on your installation, Sam; they look great!

All the best,

Dan.

Bill C

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:19:43 pm »
want sks  rubber nose cones? try searching for SKS Kantenschoner  ;D

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 10:35:48 pm »
My big bugbear is that I can't find the nice rubber nose cone like Thorn uses on the P55s, or even mudflaps (the P65s, sourced online from someone other than SJS, came with neither). Any suggestions?

I can tell you SKS' US office doesn't stock the same model or replacement parts, and I came up short in Germany,

Nice work, Sam. I'm not surprised you came up short, Dan, looking for "mudflaps" and suchlike. The Germans call the component a "spoiler" or a "gummispoiler" because it is made of rubber.

Yo, Sam, If you can't get it from SJS, here's a reliable German dealer with stock:
https://www.bike-components.de/de/SKS/Spoiler-XXL-fuer-Chromoplastics-Bluemels-p33765/
The one you want for P65 is SKS (Hersteller = Manufacturer) number 10187, which is the Typ(e) 3 on that that page.
This is the one I have on my P65.

There's also a different design of mudflap (gummispoiler!), with longitudinal design details, and what seems to me -- strictly from the photographs! -- a superior design in that it guides the water down rather than backwards like the one above. It is said by SKS to fit, but only up to 55mm. I have no personal experience of it, so anyone who orders it is on his own. This is it, from the same dealer:
https://www.bike-components.de/de/SKS/Spoiler-XXL-fuer-Chromoplastics-Bluemels-p33765/

I don't know which nosepiece you're talking about, but you should be able to find it on this page:
https://www.google.ie/search?q=SKS+Kantenschoner&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=m_OaVd2rFcvt-AHb84HgAg&ved=0CEIQ7Ak&biw=1278&bih=846 and, if that comes up blank in Australia as Google sometimes does across national boundaries, search for "sks kantenschoner" (which Bill has also suggested).

Bill C

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 10:42:15 pm »
also worth trying a search for sks spatlap if looking for the mudflaps

David Simpson

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 10:53:05 pm »
Sammy --

If you want generic mudflaps, take a look at BuddyFlaps (http://buddyflaps.com/). They are made in Washington state (USA) by a one-man operation (I believe). Both Dan and I have them on our Nomads, and you can see photos of our bikes in the Member's Gallery area. I really like having the front mudflap. It keeps almost all of the road grime spray off of the bike and chain.

- Dave

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 11:53:03 pm »
Dutch Bike Bits offers a couple of options for mudflaps: http://www.dutchbikebits.com/mudguards-chainguards-fenders-coatprotectors/bibia-touring-mudflap

I've tried a couple of the "Bibia" items (below), one on my Eclipse & another on my daughter's touring Stevens.  Dead simple to mount, inexpensive, and lots of coverage.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:54:54 pm by John Saxby »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »
Thanks guys, for helping me track these down! I agree that front mudflaps are very important, although I haven't had too many bad spells of rain, and the naked guards do a pretty good job.

It'll take me a few days to translate and sort through the various options. I'll let you know how I go.

Speaking of the P55 nose cone on my wife's Raven, it's gone! Must have fallen off at some stage without her realising. I think I can source it from SJS.

jags

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:34 pm »
big mistake is cutting the stays to short once you think u have everything sorted.
mudguards have a mind of there own so leave plenty of room for adjustment.
i could never get the mudguards sitting right especally the rear one ,for some reason try as i did there was always a twist in the bottom part of the mudguard  man it drove my crazy  >:( the spacing was spot on tho. ;D ;D

anto.

jazus that post made no sense at all . ::)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 11:07:10 am »
I feel put big time with my SKS guards.
I know the clearance was minimal but when the mug clogged up the wheels I have to get !y magic stick out for a clearance job.

Trouble was, in my haste I scooped away the top 2 silver rivets on the rear guard.
This allowed the 2 stays either side of the tire to slip down and do a good rubbing job.
So much so that the tire would not rotate.
I was deep in mud at the time, which didn't help.

On the road solution was to use string to tie up and lift the rear guard towards the rear rack.
Of course, its curved and the string goes across the arc. Fortunately, it does not foil the tire.

And the front guard stay fittings broke on one side.

Can spares be purchased?
Also the fitting on one side of the front guard. The part near the centre of the wheel. I think the stays are designed to pop out of them?
One broke while bike on top of a jeep.

Don't ask.
A lift was required recently.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:03 pm »
is it possible to but new steel stayes for sks mudguards,i was going to fit the ones i have hanging in me shed to the tandem but the stayes  are to short  :'(.

anto.