Author Topic: Adjustable stem  (Read 8706 times)

one arm bandit

Adjustable stem
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:38:00 pm »
Anyone used one of these:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-qas3-1-1-8-ahead-adjustable-stem-0-to-+60-deg-254mm-clamp-prod27383/
available only in chrome
or the previous QAS2 version

Any good?

jags

Re: Adjustable stem
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:43:54 pm »
Andre uses one simular i think. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:55:19 pm »
I used to use something a bit more refined designed as a proprietary stem for Gazelle, called a Switch. Loved it. Instant ergonomic adjustment.Set my personal ton-up truck-assisted downhill bike speed record (I wouldn't want you guys to think I change in a phone box before I mount my bike) by flipping the handlebars way forward and down with the Switch, and rotating them in the Switch until the grips pointed almost to the ground, to give me a sloping-forward back, very aerodynamic.

But, though you can sometimes buy the Switch in the aftermarket as a spare part, as far as I know the Switch only works on 1" threaded headsets; it's a one-piece design all the way down to the expanding plug inside the steerer tube, not a clamp-on like a modern A-headset.

However, any Humpert part is good, even if made in Taiwan to an existing design, as the one under discussion here is; Humpert supervises manufacture and you get German quality for only a modest premium over Chinese prices. Utopia fits Humpert stems as standard, and until I switched to the Swiss n'lock I rode on an optional adjustable Humpert stem amusingly called the X-tasy, a hefty touring stem that you would clearly leave to your grandchildren.

I think you can tell that I like Humpert components: my fave is the copy of their own S6 headset that Cane Creek makes for Humpert: I have one on my everyday bike and wouldn't ever get anything else. (No, you can't have it in exchange for your new Chris King.)

So, yes, I think the component shown, though I have no direct experience of that particular model, if it comes from Humpert, will do well.

dick220369

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:19:57 am »
Hi,

I recently bought an adjustable stem albeit not the one you are planning to buy. I did a lot of research before buying it because a lot of people said that adjustable stems made creaking noises. I read the reviews and everyone said that it was great and didn't creak. However, mine did. I would tighten everything when the creaking started but it always came back. I eventually bought a fixed length stem to replace the adjustable one because I found the incessant creaking too irritating.

I must admit I do probably tend to lean more heavily on my handlebars than most and I did find that, if I cycled more upright, the less the stem creaked. I have heard that there is a Ritchey adjustable stem out there that doesn't have this problem though. I did try to buy that model but it was out of stock from everywhere I checked.

Thanks,

Richard :)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 07:24:31 am »
I recently bought an adjustable stem albeit not the one you are planning to buy. I did a lot of research before buying it because a lot of people said that adjustable stems made creaking noises.

I wondered what that odd sound was! I recently fitted an adjustable stem and now sometimes get an irregular 'ticking' sound. More investigation needed here I think!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:31:33 am by rafiki »
Brian.

in4

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:40:35 am »
I've appreciated the opportunity for fine tuning my riding position that an adjustable stem facilitates. I must be about there by now although I'm still inclined to tweak here and there; thankfully its down to 1/2 inches now!

Mine is a creaker but its not too much trouble tightening it up every so often. That creak however does nothing to temper the creak paranoia that kicks in from time to time.  :)

On another note I'd heartily recommend a visit to 'rafiki's' website. Apart from a great photo of his Sterling (Sterling has recently gone up in value viz a viz that recent ebay/sjs auction of one  :o) his photos of Spain are a great view, particularly on a wet, rainy day in UK. Hola!

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 12:52:44 pm »
I've appreciated the opportunity for fine tuning my riding position that an adjustable stem facilitates. I must be about there by now although I'm still inclined to tweak here and there; thankfully its down to 1/2 inches now!

Mine is a creaker but its not too much trouble tightening it up every so often. That creak however does nothing to temper the creak paranoia that kicks in from time to time.  :)

On another note I'd heartily recommend a visit to 'rafiki's' website. Apart from a great photo of his Sterling (Sterling has recently gone up in value viz a viz that recent ebay/sjs auction of one  :o) his photos of Spain are a great view, particularly on a wet, rainy day in UK. Hola!

My 'ticking' turned to creaking this morning - after a bit of tightening! The creaking is less frequent than the ticking was and, at least at the current level, I can put up with it.

Glad you liked the photos. Kind of you to mention it, thank you.
Brian.

jags

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:06:36 pm »
Brian those photos are stunning never seen better.
jazus the talent on this forum is unbelievable. ;)

anto.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 09:30:10 pm »
Thanks Anto. Very good of you to say so.  :-[
Brian.

jags

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:36 pm »
are u a pro. ;) an ordinary Joe could never take photos like that  8).

honestly there stunning .

anto.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 11:00:04 pm »
Not a pro. Enthusiastic amateur. In my life before retirement I was production director of a small malt roasting company in UK. Before that many, many years working in East Africa.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:01:32 am by rafiki »
Brian.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 07:45:55 pm »
Not a pro. Enthusiastic amateur. In my life before retirement I was production director of a small malt roasting company in UK. Before that many, many years working in East Africa.

Great site, Brian. I'll be back!

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 08:01:47 pm »
working in East Africa

Thought that might be the source of your friendly username, Brian :-)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 10:00:02 pm »
Thank you all.

Right in one John :) However, many think rafiki refers just to the monkey in The Jungle Book :0
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:01:54 pm by rafiki »
Brian.

geocycle

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 10:08:46 pm »
Habari gani?