Author Topic: Raven Sport Tour for Audax??  (Read 2845 times)

CliveB

Raven Sport Tour for Audax??
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:13:12 pm »
I'm on the verge of ordering an RST primarily for long Audax rides. There's one thing that keeps nagging me about my choice: I haven't seen any at any Audax rides or in any photos of any Audax rides.Why is that? It seems like the ideal bike to me. Should this be putting me off? Does ayone out there Audax on their RST? What are your views on this?

stanley

Re: Raven Sport Tour for Audax??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:10:57 am »
I saw a bloke at last years Tour of Wessex (325 miles in 3 days) on a RST.

He looked to be going well !

PH

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:14:30 pm »
Bottom line is - you can do a lot of Audax in 100 days and make your own mind up[:)]
In the last two years I've done a 300, six 200s and a few 100s on my plain Raven Tour.  I'd prefer something lighter (there's not much weight difference to the Sport) and I'd also prefer closer ratios at the top end, both things I can easily live with considering the comfort.  I do have another bike that conforms more to the Audax norm, it is still my prefered option for the reasons above, but there's not a lot in it.
I've seen a few RSTs on Audax plus loads of the other Thorn 26” wheeled bikes, Nomads, XTCs... People ride all sorts, not many of them get a chance of a 100 day trial.

Swislon

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:32:28 pm »
John,
I read the Audax magazine's article, but it didn't give any actual real world experience feedback after being ridden on an audax. I was disappointed with the article as it read more like a Thorn marketing advert and spent most of the time going through the reviewers chosen spec. I would like to read some "warts and all " article of someone who has used an RST on a long audax ride.
The longest I have ridden my RST to date is 50 miles on mixed terrain, but mainly road. I have however straight bars and I prefer drops for longer distance. So I can see me using the RST for shorter bad weather audax and my audax bike for the longer distance. This is not a reflection on the bike but the way I've chosen to set it up. If I only had one bike then I'd do longer distances on it. It is certainly comfortable enough even if it isn't the lightest bike out there.

CliveB

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:04:58 am »
Am I a hard rider? I'm not sure what the definition of a 'hard rider' is. I average 22 to 24kph (depending on the hills). I've only ever used drop bars on the road so the flat bars are bothering me a bit (not convinced about the usability of drops bars and the shifter).

It sounds like the weight of the RST is a concern. I didn't 'feel' a lot more than my current bike which is 25lbs. I'm hoping the ride comfort and reliabilty will far outwiegh the extra couple of pounds. Or, maybe those extra pounds will make it a chore on the long hilly rides?

As for the 100 day guarantee, It just sounds too good to be true!

Swislon

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 08:51:26 am »
Hi Clive,
I can't praise the Thorn service highly enough. They bend overbackwards to ensure you have got the right set up and the right bike for you and will swap and change components until its right. They really mean the 100 day guarantee.
If you're half convinced then what have you got to lose except an enjoyable time speccing and then test riding. If you keep the box it comes in then it is simple to send it back if you decide its not for you.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 09:08:45 am »
My  RST Weighs  ~ 30.2lbs (561S frame) including mud guards, rack, pedals, lights, pump bottle cages and a Brooks saddle I imagine the clean weight is probable about 27.5lbs.

Rohloff shifter on drops always causes ‘lively’ debate.  Those that have gone this route (me included) don’t have any issues with it in practice – but will readily admit it is not a refined set up.  I see it as better than a down tube shifter  (which we all used for years) but not as good as an integrated shifter.   The pay off for this very slight inconvenience is being able to use a proper handlebar.  Would I switch to a flat bar – NO WAY, well maybe if I were setting up a bike for predominately off road.  If you are more comfortable on drop bars think very carefully before making this sacrifice.  

When I first started riding my RST (~14 months & 4900miles ago) I obsessed about the shifter being cumbersome.  After maybe 2 weeks it didn’t bother me anymore. It does work and is very usable  

My wife prefers a flat bar later in the year I will be setting up a new Raven Tour for her with a flat bar  - each to there own.  

Best of luck

Stuart  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:13:56 am by stutho »

freddered

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 01:20:51 pm »
2007 is my first Audax year.  I've done 2x100km and a 200km on my Raven Tour.  I've done 165mile in a day (not Audax) on it and will attempt a DIY 300km soon.

I'm a slow, plodding rider on any bike.  To me it's comfort that gets me to the end of a 200km not lightness. The Frame and tyres (26x1.5" Panaracer HiRoad)make for a stress-free ride.

I thought I may use my old 531 700C 'Audax' bike for the 100K rides but the Raven is just too comfy.

I use Drop Bars and hav eno problems with shifter on Accessory Bar, in fact it suits my riding style perfectly.

If you are more inclined to road-race, time-trial then a Rohloff is simply not going to suit you.  If you want something to get you there, along a variety of roads (including pot-holes, tree debris and so on)and arrive in a degree of comfort then either RST or Tour seem ideal.

To me it's a Subaru Forester of a bike, ie. will cruise on-decent roads all day but can carry a load of stuff across rough tracks if required to.