Author Topic: food intake advice needed quick.  (Read 6601 times)

jags

food intake advice needed quick.
« on: April 25, 2015, 04:43:31 pm »
i was told i need more Roughage in my food helps with digestion  and what not.
so any ideas what i should be eating or even should i be  adding  to the food .
help needed quick as dodgy stomach has me off the bike nearly 5 weeks now,i'll suffer with the back pain  ::)Thanks folks hope someone can put me right.

anto.

Big_Jimbo

Re: food intake advice needed quick.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:06:32 pm »
After a bout of dodgy tummy bugs a few years ago I started eating "All Bran" for breakfast every day. I found I prefer the Sainsbury's own brand, it tastes slightly better than Kelloggs and its loads cheaper. Lots of folk will tell you its like eating cardboard, but I really like it. I also find it easy to feel full for most of the morning.
Other people use porridge for roughly the same reasons. Or you could try adding some All Bran to your regular breakfast cereal if you can't face a whole bowl on its own.

in4

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 05:10:54 pm »
Now I'm not a medic but, for what its worth:
Porridge and not that nasty stuff in sachets. Mornflakes from Home and Bargain will do you.
Fruit and nuts.
Usual vegetables too.

Personally I avoid processed foods such as 'ding meals' and bread, but thats my preference.

If you've stomach pain for 5 weeks you should see a GP and get a diagnosis.
If your back pain is caused by heavy wallet syndrome I can help ;)

jags

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 05:24:06 pm »
cheers lads i got the results of blood tests back yesterday and  i seem to be clear of all the killer stuff  ::) but yeah my stomach is in rag order ,im off the 40 cups a tea a day (honest) down to 4 cups and   the odd coffee .my diet is not bad to be honest except for all the biscuits i eat no wonder im a fat little fecker.
i tried allbran before yeah it does taste like cardboard i usually take ricekrispies not much better to be honest  maybe i should start taking porridge again but is there anything i could add to it some kinda seed or whatever.

jags. 

julk

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 06:37:22 pm »
jags,
I like a banana chopped into my porridge.
Julian

jags

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 06:57:21 pm »
Cheers Julian   that could be tasty right enough but would be concidered roughage  :-\

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 07:11:21 pm »
+1 for All Bran.
Brian.

jags

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 07:13:51 pm »
hemm might be worth giving allbran a go.

anto.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:27:00 pm »
Psyllum Husk powder.  I have about 5 or 6 grams each time I have it, that is roughly a teaspoon.  I have it once or twice a day.  Mix it with some liquid in a small shaker cup, shake for about 5 seconds and drink it down.  Make sure you have it with food, I often have it a few minutes before a meal.  There are some commercial mixes with flavors and artificial sweetners, I instead just buy the powder with no flavoring added.

I initially tried putting it in a glass with liquid and stirring, but it did not mix as well so I bought a small shaker cup.  Maybe that is where James Bond got the idea?  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:10:30 pm by mickeg »

jags

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:37:30 pm by jags »

Donerol

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:14 pm »
Dried fruit is good - try a handful of raisins. Also make sure you are drinking enough water (not beer!)

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 11:17:07 pm »
never heard of it mickeg sounds deadly tho.

jags.
just googled that buy i'de be weary of taking it to be honest.
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/whole-psyllium-husks/10530061.html?switchcurrency=EUR&affil=mpppc&kwds=43700006329193171&gclid=CjwKEAjw9uypBRD5pMDYtsKxvXcSJACcb9AYFZEYnZoXAY12Zy-Vr2j7VUTaVP-zD-gl1vUfiH93kBoCjmvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If that sounds too deadly, then google this:  Metamucil

Same thing, but with extra flavors added and bigger price tag.

jags

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 11:36:36 pm »
What worried was the bit about drinking plenty water in case your throath swells up.freeky.

mickeg

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 01:28:27 am »
What worried was the bit about drinking plenty water in case your throath swells up.freeky.

Quite frankly I never heard of that. 

I mix about a teaspoon with about 6 or 7 oz of liquid.  I often drink Koolaid at home instead of water, I use that.  I mix it in a small shaker bottle I got from Vitamin Shop, I just checked their web site, the cup I bought is no longer listed.

If you need more fiber this is an easy way to get it without a major change to your diet.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 08:39:30 am »
never heard of it mickeg sounds deadly tho.

jags.
just googled that buy i'de be weary of taking it to be honest.
http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/whole-psyllium-husks/10530061.html?switchcurrency=EUR&affil=mpppc&kwds=43700006329193171&gclid=CjwKEAjw9uypBRD5pMDYtsKxvXcSJACcb9AYFZEYnZoXAY12Zy-Vr2j7VUTaVP-zD-gl1vUfiH93kBoCjmvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Nah, psyllium husks are fine. I sometimes use it together with All Bran and never had a problem. i give it to my dogs when they have 'issues' and never a problem.
Brian.