Author Topic: Gear change notchy...  (Read 3670 times)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
Gear change notchy...
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:27:26 pm »
My Sterling has been laid up for over a year and I have just recommissioned her. I am finding that the Rohloff gear changing rather notchy and I'd like to smooth things out. Could somebody point me to some instructions for adjusting the changing system please?
Brian.

phopwood

Re: Gear change notchy...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:55:33 am »
Can you define what you mean by notchy, is it the same when no pedal pressure is being applied, the most likely reason is that the cables are a little old and stuck.  Does the Rolhoff still have oil in it and how was the bike stored.

Peter

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 01:53:35 pm »
Cables are the most likely reason, try and clean or replace.  It might be you have some rust preventing them moving smoothly. Try disconnecting the cables and see how smoothly they move through the shifter.  Some grease in the shifter may help. An oil change wouldn't do any harm if it has been stood for a year.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:08:47 pm »
Defo oil change.
If its a regular click right across the range of gears I would think a hub problem.
If erratic click the cable.
But never had this issue myself.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

onrbikes

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:29:41 am »
I had something similar and found a squirt of WD40 at the handlebar shifter helped.
Plenty of dust in there.

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 12:02:26 pm »
Could somebody point me to some instructions for adjusting the changing system please?

Here's the link to the section of the Rohloff website where the Speedhub service manuals can be downloaded:

http://www.rohloff.de/en/service/downloads/documentation/index.html

(The site has a good range of videos as well.)

From your description, the cables may need a slight adjustment to reduce tension, assuming that (i) they're both clean and free in their housings; and (ii) the "notchy" feeling is across all the gears.

Good luck in any case -- let us know how it all works out.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:42:24 pm »
I just realised I hadn't reported back. Apologies for my bad manners.

I spent some time on the bike. Changed the oil, cleaned the chain, lubed all round, gave it a wash, lubed the changer and then adjusted the cables. The cable adjustment seemed to help a lot. I have ridden about 800km on it since I did all the gear changing is fine now.

Thanks everybody for the advice.
Brian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:09:59 pm »
Thanks for the thoughtful followup, Brian. This will surely help others in the future.

Best,

Dan.