Author Topic: Number/ !licence plates.  (Read 4110 times)

Matt2matt2002

Number/ !licence plates.
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:46:07 pm »
Watching Bracking Bad and noticed that some cars did not have front number plates.
Guess its legal and a State thing but what is the reasoning behind it?
Why do some States think it's OK, and others, the opposite.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Number/ !licence plates.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:26:58 pm »
Yeah, exactly, license plates are a State thing. The most obvious aspect is the front + back vs. back only business. I have never heard the reasoning for not having front plates!

Another fun thing that varies by State is the pattern of the plate. I think that in some States the plate number has a part that depends on the county. Some States include registration stickers on the plate, others put registration stickers on windshields. Small states have remarkably few digits on their plates! Then over the years some States will get into advertising for tourism on the plates, etc. One of the more apparent types of diversity across our Union!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 12:09:49 am »
Then over the years some States will get into advertising for tourism on the plates, etc.
Yep!

Here's mine, new before adding the month and year tags (stickers)...

Best,

Dan. (...who of course went straight for the "Share the Road" bicyclist plates!)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:39:39 am »
Over here the plates can be of a personal nature in that they can be read as a name of some sort.
They can be traded as well, some for many thousands of £.
Can you do that in USA?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 11:50:56 am »
Most, if not all, States will let you pick the letters and numbers on your plates. I've never looked into the rules exactly but certainly it's common enough to see a car with somebody's initials or some highly compressed slogan.

I have never heard of these things being traded. Seems like a State would have to support that, a person yielding ownership of a particular letter combination to somebody else. Given that it'd be yet another way to increase revenue, another opportunity to charge a fee, I'm surprise I haven't heard about it!

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 12:12:22 pm »
Each state has different rules.  Some Native American areas (in US called reservations) also issue their own plates and have different rules.  Most states allow you to request a special license number (which can be words or parts of words) for an additional fee.  Some states issue special plates that are used to raise funds for a specific cause.  Before I retired, I worked with ground water resources.  I pay a bit extra each year for a plate with GRND WTR.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 02:40:02 pm »
And does the plate stay with the car or the owner?
Over here prices can go upwards of many thousands of £.
Also, the plates now indicate the year of the car and location of registration.

Not had an answer to why it it considered OK in some states not to have a front plate.

Also,over here the lettering has to be of a set 'type' and the letters/ numbers should never be swished together to make a word or phrase.

Sounds like we are quite up tight compared to USA?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 04:28:06 pm »
Not had an answer to why it it considered OK in some states not to have a front plate.
"Because they [states] say so"!  :D

No kidding, Matt, it is up to the individual states and their rules. Some states (my Oregon, for example) require a front plate. I lived and worked just under a calendar year in Mississippi, but because it was a temporary position (visiting faculty), I was able to keep my Oregon plates and so avoid the $400 Mississippi registration fee. Mississippi did not require a front plate at that time, but I was not allowed to remove mine because the car was still registered back in Oregon, where it was required.
It may or may not. The plate stays with the car, yes, and stays with it when sold, but the old owner can choose to keep their plates and the same or a future owner may choose to change plates if so desired. This can be for a number of reasons, including replacing a damaged plate, buying a vanity plate (one with letters of one's own choosing, subject to state approval...you wouldn't believe what people dream up), or a plate to show support or affiliation for a Cause or affiliation. Oregon has a number of these. You've seen my "Share the Road" cyclist plates. Here's more: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/plates.aspx#available_plates As you can see, we have them now for war veterans, salmon, wineries, to support the Arts and Culture, etc. In some cases, the money raised goes to the cause, funding for the further development and maintenance of salmon estuaries, for example.
Over here prices can go upwards of many thousands of £.
Of course, ours all cost something, but nowhere near as much as yours. See: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/plates.aspx#fees My plates required a one-time extra fee of USD$20 at issuance because it was a new car. It would be half that for a vehicle already registered.
Also, the plates now indicate the year of the car and location of registration.
Ours may or may not. A year range can generally be inferred from the number/letter series if the viewer is savvy to the scheme, but not otherwise. Here in Oregon, we have places on the plates for month and year stickers and they are different colors so it is easy to see if they are current. In Mississippi, the counties were also designated on the plates. Oregon has few but very large counties. Some of our counties are larger than a few states on the East Coast. Mississippi had zillions of tiny counties, so I guess it was more important there.
Also,over here the lettering has to be of a set 'type' and the letters/ numbers should never be swished together to make a word or phrase.
Here, plates used to be more uniform when I was a kid, but now lettering can also vary by state, as can the number/letter schemes and order, and prefixes. The fonts can be different, as can the size and spacing and of course the background colors and design. Some are small and mooshed together and very difficult to read. Sometimes, there isn't much contrast between background and letters. Really, there have been many times when I wished for a black-on-yellow EU style for easier reading. On one of many jobs worked while a uni student, I was a parking attendant and also pre-processed the many parking tickets issued on campus so they could be transferred to punch-cards for "computer" entry. A lot of the plates I needed to record were very hard to see from inside my little "mouse house" and required I go out in the rain and snow for a better look. It hardly made a difference. The roof leaked, and there was no heat beyond a 60-watt hanging bulb and no ventilation except for the holes in the walls, one window, and a door that did not seal.  Oh! Sometimes our plates have embossed letters, and sometimes the are just printed as part of the overall reflective surface "tape". That can vary within a state. It does here, but we seem to be moving to the flat tape for everything recently.
Sounds like we are quite up tight compared to USA?
No, just "different". The one big difference I see is an overarching scheme to make the plates more uniform nationwide. Here, there isn't as much consistency and it varies by individual state. The only place where there is uniformity is plate size. That seems to be pretty standard, though mounting holes can vary slightly in width.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan. (...who also drives)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 04:38:42 pm »
As a postscript...

Having a front plate aids in identifying a vehicle, particularly one about to run you over. Why some states haven't recognized this is beyond me. I expect they will eventually. Among other things, I used to teach public administration to police officers. When I have general questions related to law enforcement, I turn to law enforcement forums. Someone posed a question similar to yours here, and the answer has now grown to 76 pages in length: http://forums.officer.com/t166035/

Also, most cars sold here have plate mounts only for American (North, Central, South American...and Japanese!) sized plates, though in recent years, "world cars" intended for many markets (like my Ford Focus) have room for longer plates like those common in the EU, for example. I saw a few American-market cars while I traveled Europe by bicycle last summer, and I noticed many of those plates had to be cut in two and "stacked" vertically to fit the narrower plate mounts. In many of the EU countries (maybe all?) the plates are attached with blind ("pop") rivets so they cannot be removed or changed easily.

Best,

Dan. (...who has seen a *lot* of license plates over the years and pondered the differences more than once)

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:09:39 pm »

Varies by state.  When I lived in Minnesota, the plates stayed on the vehicle when sold. 

Now I live in Wisconsin, when you sell a vehicle you keep the plate.  Keeping the plate does not mean you can simply put it on a different vehicle, but the new owner has to get a new plate with new license number.

Dan commented on size of plates, when I moved from Minnesota to Wisconsin, the motorcycle plates were slightly different size and shape between the two states.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:15:05 pm by mickeg »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:54 pm »
Matt,

If there is a certain US plate design that appeals to you, it is possible to make a request to the respective State Motor Vehicles Division for a Sample Plate. Many are free except for the cost of shipping. They are like "normal" plates but typically carry designations like ABC 123.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-s-Oregon-Sample-ABC-000-Vintage-Sample-License-Plate-/271786249006?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f47b90b2e

People here collect them, and trade on eBay.

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 12:46:09 am »
In New York, too, you can transfer your plates from an old car to a new car.

rualexander

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 08:33:33 am »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 12:48:47 pm »
Wow, that BBC report was great!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 10:00:45 pm »
It can get funny (!) When certain UK words are used that have no meaning in USA.
Friend of mine had W#nker.
Well, I guess it didn't mean anything to the ' locals'.