Author Topic: Thorn XTC  (Read 8320 times)

Kuba

Thorn XTC
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:00:51 pm »
So here is my new XTC, at last. I got the frame about a year ago from SJSC clearance, wheels were built by Spa, the frame was enamelled and the bike put together by Argos. Just picked it up and it's great!

I'll be adding a Gorilla cargo cage and Thorn low-rider, and will possibly adjust mudguards as now they're set for 2.0 tyres. Will test ride that set up this weekend and add some more photos. The XTC will replace my Raven Tour and possibly the Cyclosportif too, but not putting them on sale just yet.

in4

Re: Thorn XTC
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:32:05 pm »
Fabulous! I do like that colour too. 1.6 Supremes by any chance? I've got some on my Mk 1 Nomad and am impressed thus far.

Kuba

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:42:11 pm »
Thank you! Supremes indeed, in my experience the best mix of durability, grip and speed, and I haven't had a single puncture with them. Choosing colour took some time but really happy with my decision.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:50:01 pm »
That's a super colour, firm but well-mannered.

in4

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:20 pm »
I don't know if its the absence of a rear rack but those seat stays do look rather elegant too!
I'm currently running my supremes at around 4.5 bar ( 65 ish psi) and have found them quite a revelation. Weighing around 80kg I find that pressure works well for me in terms of speed, comfort, and grip and I don't get side-wall anxieties anymore. Result.  :) I'm sure a great summer of XTC-ing awaits.

Kuba

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 07:39:34 pm »
Oh they are! So elegant in fact that I plan to keep them exposed. ;) I've slimmed down my camping kit and should get away with just two front panniers, a cargo cage and a saddlebag. I'll see how the bike handles with such a set up and will report back.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 07:56:26 pm »
Fantastic bike, Kuba, and such a pleasure to see.

Love the color!

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 09:41:16 pm »
Very stylish, Kuba!  Look forward to your stories & photos from the coming season.  Continued good luck with your Supremes, too--we can compare notes.

Neil Jones

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 03:26:35 pm »
Lovely looking build there Kuba, I like the colour very much too.

Glad you're enjoying the Supremes, I have Marathon Plus on my RST at the moment as it's hedge cutting season but will shortly change over to Supremes which are much livelier. I run mine at 50/55psi, I weigh about 61kgs and find them fast and comfortable.

Looking forward to hearing about your rides.

Regards,
Neil.

Kuba

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 08:08:36 pm »
I have now ridden over 200 miles on the XTC, of which about 180 were with load. Two Ortlieb front panniers with 2-3kg each, Super C saddlebag with up to 4kg, Terra Nova Laser 1 kg tent in the Gorilla cage, and snacks in Alpkit Fuel Pod, plus 2l water. In total about 10kg plus water and snacks. That included a stove, two days worth of food, and 2l water.

Kuba

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 08:24:54 pm »
Thoughts after three days /180 miles in Scotland (Arran, Kintyre, Gigha and Knapdale onwards to Oban...

The XTC is a phenomenal bike, very nippy but strong and stable, and comfy! I guess top speeds were well over 40 mph at times. The frame is much stiffer than I remember from the days I rode a Reynolds 725 frame with drops. It may be different geometry or tubeset used for this frame is different, not sure. The gauge of the top tube seems heavier, or it may be Reynolds 853 - it didn't come with a sticker so don't know. I now travel much lighter then I did 5 years ago when I had my original XTC, but it also feels stiffer unladen so it must be a slightly different frame. Anyway, whatever it is, it works a treat! My best bike ever.

Shimano SLX 30 speed drivetrain is great, very crisp shifting, also Argos have done a great job putting it together and tuning it. Great shifting even on 20% gradients. Great gear range too.

Very pleased with my luggage arrangement, the bike balanced superb and it almost made no difference whether it had 10kg on it or not, slower steering aside. Thanks to whoever recommended the Gorilla cage - great way to carry a tent on the frame.

Alpkit Brukit was a new stove for this trip, again can't praise highly enough. I normally use Whisperlite on long trips but Brukit is lighter, cleaner and quicker, with a hot meal ready in 10 mins from getting off the bike. Other stoves may be better, but they don't cost 35 quid...

Anyways, thanks for all recommendations when I was building the bike.

jags

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 09:23:50 pm »
Wow now this is a bike for sure great colour (Thorn take note)  ;)
yeah a well set up bike if i was to change anything it would be the seat pin i'de be putting a carbon  or thudbuster on that beauty,
the whole set up is just fantastic you obviously gave a lot of thought of the rig you wanted,so is that u finished (famous last words  ;D) are u 100% happy with the whole set up .safe riding Kuba .
btw is the frame powber coater or sprayed.
£ or should i ask.
thanks for photos great stuff.

Jags.

Kuba

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 11:33:32 pm »
Hi Jags, I've spent enough £ as it is so no new seat post for the time being! But I may move a titanium stem from the Cyclosportif, it will shed some weight and also looks cool. Other than that, no changes anytime soon as it feels perfect (ok, I'll have to add a cheap speedometer but that's it).

My only regret is that Argos asked me if I wanted anything added to the frame (which I bought as bare metal) before they paint it. Prices were reasonable, they quoted 7 quid I think for additional braze-ons on the rear drop-out. I decided against that as I don't plan using rear rack at all, but in hindsight I wish I asked for a third bottle cage boss on the down tube. The Gorilla cage I have works fine with just two bosses but is most secure with three. And three could be handy if I ever decide to stick my bigger tent in it. Alas, when I researched cargo cages the bike was already painted.

Paint - thank you, yes it's stunning, it's stove enamelled. Didn't come cheap, £140 for paint job and £20 extra for hand polishing the stainless Thorn logo. Others like Bob Jackson would charge less but I saved on postage, as Argos happen to be my LBS.

jags

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 12:36:23 am »
well worth 140 the colour is fantastic, i bet in the flesh it looks even more impressive.
i think i would have gone for the braze on in the rear as i like things light up front but each to there own. ;)
beautifull bike look after it.

jags

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 01:37:45 am »
Wow, Kuba...it just gets better and better in use. Lovely machine! Terrific photos!

All the best,

Dan.