Author Topic: RST Handlebar stem why so many spacers ?  (Read 2595 times)

jc748

RST Handlebar stem why so many spacers ?
« on: March 03, 2007, 05:47:50 pm »
RST Stem length - Help !!
Am looking to order a new RST but one thing is confusing me. Having looked at a lot of the pictures of peoples bikes they nearly all seem to have a long handlebar stem with lots of spacers. Why is this ? Can't say I like the look of it and I've never had a bike that needed that setup. Is it something to do with the frame geometry ?
Thanks, any advice appreciated as I really want an RST but this is putting me off.

lardy

Re: RST Handlebar stem why so many spacers ?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 09:25:30 pm »
I'm afraid I can't comment on the geometry. I thought it was just allowing the owner flexibility to choose the handlebar height that suits them. Certainly on my RST once I was happy with the bike (very quickly) I cut the length of the steerer tube and got rid of the spacers.

jc748

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 09:41:09 pm »
Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you mean you therefore reduced the height of the handlebars ?  Sorry if this an obvious question but I would have expected the bike to have been setup correctly in the first place.

neil_p

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 09:51:47 am »
Hi,  having recently been to SJS to try out the thorn cycles, I can probably answer your question.  I too dislike the look of a stem that is sat on 6inches of spacers!

At SJS I was "measured" for frame size, by sitting on different bikes until I found one that was right for me.  My bike will then be made, with the steerer tube un-trimmed.  Once I have the bike, I can sit on it and ride it, trying out different combinations of spacers.  E.g. 6 spacers below the stem, then 5 below and 1 above, then 4 below and 1 above, etc.  This allows me to find the stem hight that feels best, fine tuning the riding position and handling.  It's better this way, because if they cut the steerer tube and you then decide it's not right, you're in trouble!

I hope that helps.

Neil

neil_p

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 09:53:26 am »
Forgot to say...

With regard to stem length and angle, that is also something that can be fine tuned.  There are various lengths and angles to choose from, again allowing you to change the riding position.  When buying the bike, if you can make a trip to SJS, they'll advise you and allow you to try different combinations.  They were exceptionally helpful when I visited.

jc748

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:24:49 am »
Hi,
thanks for the info, sounds a good idea but unfortunately SJS is a long way from where I live. Think I will give them a call to talk things through,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cheers

julk

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 02:39:38 pm »
SJSC is also a long way from where I live.
I discussed the options with SJSC over the phone including my own measurements and the setup of an existing bike.
Taking all that into account the new bike was set up almost perfectly for me by SJSC - so far I have only tried narrower handlebars and different grips.