Author Topic: Shetland to Worthing  (Read 21109 times)

geocycle

Re: Shetland to Worthing
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 10:00:08 pm »
Sorry to hear of the poor weather in Scotland. If it's any consolation it has been mainly dry and bright in northern England so things should get better as you go south. Important to remind yourself that cycle touring is not an endurance challenge. There's no shame in using trains and bed and breakfasts. Better to splash some cash and look after yourself than risk the tour.

jags

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 11:00:51 pm »
yeah food is important right enough,but its getting the proper food thats the trick .
myself i know what i like but i just can't cook it  ::) im the worst cook on the planet.
but on tour getting local adviceon where to eat is a good idea.as for the  buying a real pillow  its surprizing how small you  get it if you have a good stuff sack worth its weight in gold.
i use a thermarest medium compressable pilow great bit of kit.

anyway keep the flag flying  good weather heading your way ;)

anto.

Templogin

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 08:34:21 pm »
24/06/2015 Continued

I decided to get the personal admin sorted out so went into Hawick for some shopping.  A camping shop sorted me out with some nail type tent pegs as I was destroying the Alpkit Y pegs each day, I bought a blow up pillow and the difference is amazing, I also treated myself to a mallet as hammering the pegs in with my head is probably what damaged them.  I spent a lot of time trying to find something to charge my elderly Nokia phone.  I have seen a holder that you can put an AA or PP3 cell in with a plug that fits the phone.  It's a bit of a bodge, but the PowerGorilla is giving me problems and everything is bare minimum charged at the moment.  I could buy little powerbanks, with presumably nimh batteries in them that you could then charge from a USB source, but this put me no further forward.  I went to Boots for a knee support, but baulked at the price £20.  I used to work for a company that dealt with Boots in a supply role.  Our prices to Boots used to include a 30% addition for the hassle of dealing with them.  I suspect other suppliers may be the same.  I went over the road to Superdrug and got one for £9, which instantly appeared to make no difference, in fact it dug into the back of my leg.  That will teach me.  Hawick seems to have a dearth of restaurants.  I was determined to have a reasonable meal without all the timbale of rice, with chef's famous apricot and beetroot jus rubbish, and as far as I am concerned you can't go far wrong with a decent Italian restaurant.  I had to lurk around town until it opened, but when it did I took a table at Sergios.  Smoked salmon to start, a very generous portion, lasagne for mains, disappointed with the paltry amount, no bigger than one of those 99p micro meals, although much better tasting, pana cotta for dessert, probably a poor choice, but the others were all ice cream.  I am not actually a big eater, but I still felt hungry at the end of this and tempted to go back around the menu again to make a point.  I picked up some food from Morrisons and topped up that way.  The ride back to the campsite was a bone jarring affair in the broken surfaced roads.  I checked the nuts and bolts when I got back and some were loose.  I should have loctited them before I left, but it was yet another job that didn't get done.

Templogin

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 09:29:53 pm »
25/06/2015
I slept much better with the new pillow as well as some other clothes and my Alpkit jacket.  I was still woken by the little boys in their hatchbacks giving it beans along the road next to the campsite.  I would quite happily pay to have all of their exhausts fixed if it gave me a really good nights sleep.  I stuffed myself with fruit and oaty cereal bars, packed up and headed off out of the campsite after the rush hour.  It was a day of headwinds and getting in and out of the waterproofs.  I left my lovely Tilley hat in a layby and point blank refused to go back for it.  They have a pocket inside the top of the hat and I slipped an emergency £20 note when I first bought it along with a card with my name, mobile number and Skype address, so it may come back.  They are more than welcome to the £20 as a reward, and I will cover their postage.  I have a waterproof beanie hat that will do in the interim.  I will buy another Tilley if this one doesn't come back.  There has been one lovely hill in particular, but I was left frustrated by having to pedal down it.  My spirits have been lifted though by resting more often, which has improved the knee situation.  Either that or the knee brace has broken me in.  I also stopped for lunch in a cafe in Langholm.  The burger was made with proper beef and tasted great, as did the apple pie and ice cream that followed.  A can of fanta and a pot of tea brought the bill to about £8, which seemed fantastic value.  I plodded on through Carlisle, stopping at the Co-op for a pint of milk and croissant and looked at the options.  It didn't look like I was going to have the strength to reach Penrith so I kept an eye out for a B&B, but there were none by the time I reached the Travel Inn at J42 of the M6.  Booking into one of these late feels as close to rape as I want to get so I kept heading along the A6 looking for a likely field, but I came across a pub first, so I dropped in for a swift one and asked if there were any B&Bs in the area.  The hive mind couldn't come up with anything, but eventually one of the customers suggested the Fox and Pheasant in Armathwaite, and rang forward booking a room for me.  It is in the Eden Valley, and with the wind not in my face for the first time today, and steep hills to boot, I hurtled along for 2 miles of the journey at breakneck speed.  When I arrived at the pub the rear rack had become detached from 2 of the fittings and had swivelled back, only being stopped from scraping along the floor by the fact that it was resting the weight of the two panniers, canoe bag and rack against the back light and carbon fibre mudguard.  Another scar.  The poor old mudguards look like I just don't care.  I have fixed the problem temporarily, but will have to have a closer look.  I have spare bungees, which could effect a tensioning around the seat post.  The room in the pub is lovely.  I turned down dinner as I feel full enough today.  The shower was a joy, as was getting into some clean and dry clothes.  The butt is in need of some sudocrem.  I hope you don't wake up screaming thinking about me bent over ...

I am reading everyone's comments and advice, even if I am not responding to them all individually, but I appreciate the input.  Thank you

Donerol

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 10:51:40 pm »
It's turning into an epic ride! Sorry about the hat and hope you get it back. Have a good night's sleep and better luck in the morning.

jags

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 10:20:18 am »
i would have turned back for the hat. :'(

things are getting better by the day,  your eating better sleeping better as soon as u get better weather your away in a hack.

leftpoole

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 12:03:51 pm »
I would still even now turn back for the Tilley Hat!!!

jags

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 01:49:09 pm »
well gone at this stage John only hope if an honest person finds it.

Templogin

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 05:26:44 pm »
26/06/2015
This goes on a bit so I will treat you to some paragraphs.

I had spent the previous evening checking my emails and researching what to do next.  Armathwaite is the second station on the Carlisle to Settle railway, and as I never find myself over this side of the country usually I decided that this would be an opportunity to ride it, but just as far as Kirkby Stephen, as any further would take me out of my way.

I had breakfast in the Fox and Pheasant, but I was having difficulty getting it down.  My body was just saying no more.  How annoying.  I packed up the kit and took it and the bike outside into the car park, where I wielded a spanner and allen key to tighten the rack bolts up.  Then I visited the shop for an ice cream and a bottle of lucozade, which left me feeling green.  I should have listened to the messages.

At the station the access to the platform was level, but only if I was going the other way.  Mine was more challenging, with two short flights of stairs and a very steep path.  To take the panniers off or have an early morning work-out?  Naturally I chose the work-out and I won.

The station had the look of a restored railway, everything spick and span with a stone waiting room, where walking in I was greeted by the croak of a frog.  It was dim in the room, I could half see the frog but couldn't work out if it was real.  It wasn't, the IR detector in it set off the croaking when I walked in.  I bet kids found this very funny.  Turning the other way there were a display of books and magazines to while the time away until the arrival of your train, most of them on the subject of trains, many on the saving of the Settle to Carlisle railway.  The non rail enthusiasts had a selection of Take a Break and the like.  A polite notice asked you to leave the books for the next passengers, and the fact that the system was obviously working gave me a warm glow.

It was two hours until the train arrived, and I pushed the bike onto the train pleased that I was not having to fight for a bike space with a pushchair user.  My son is now 25, but when he was young pushchairs used to fold and be put in the overhead racks.  Now I understand that wheelchairs users have been denied access to busses when a mum refused to fold her pushchair that was taking up the wheelchair space.  Sad times.  I looked for a free seat.  It appeared that they were all occupied by either passengers or their rucksacks.  I contemplated getting into the luggage rack, but others may not have shared my humour, so instead I asked one of the passengers, a Kiwi, if she would like me to put her rucksack in the rack, she didn't as she was using it, so she put it between her legs.

Two stops along the inevitable pushchair wielding mum got on with screaming child and huffed and puffed because someone had taken the bike space for her pushchair.  The noise balanced out the two yorkshiremen having a conversation at a staggered angle across the carriage about their days driving Seddon Aktinson, and other trucks of that era.  It was a conversation that I could appreciate having driven some of the Army's "finest" vehicles, but when they started talking about how there's no comparison with modern day trucks, I thought that it was about to descend into a Monty Python sketch.

I continued to sip at the nasty cup of tea and munch on a reasonable chunk of shortbread.  Every time I looked out of the window the Kiwi must have thought that I was looking at her so she peered at me.  I tried this a few times, but with the same result.  I cast around for something to settle my gaze on and noticed a woman further up the carriage with a lovely bone structure, most of her face sadly masked with a massive pair of sunglasses.  I caught a faint smile cross her lips as her head turned in my direction.  Being one not to miss any opportunity for outrageous flirting I started to wonder about an excuse to be at her table, then I noticed another smile and a shuffle in the seat, and realised that she was probably just releasing wind.  So much for the flirting opportunity.

Kirkby Stephen arrived and the train ejaculated passengers onto the platform: one half of the two yorkshiremen, his wife, the screaming child/pushchair/mother combination and bike/I.  I had missed the best part of the journey, which was to come later, the Ribblehead Viaduct.

The path took us out of the station to the road and absolutely no indication as to where to go.  Much aligning of the map was wasted as this new glovebox atlas didn't have train lines or contours on it.  I knew that there used to be a trick of lining up the hour hand of your watch with the sun and then the minute hand would point at a boy scout, of whom you could ask directions, or he washes your bike for a shilling, gets a stone out of a horses hoof or some such thing, but no boy scout was to be spotted.

The cloud was so thick that I had no idea which way to go, so I turned right, which was in fact turned wrong.  The hill down into Kirkby Stephen is fantastic and I was soon doing over 40.  All good things must end though and I soon found myself heading out of town and wondering who had put the signs the wrong way around.  I spun the bike around and accosted a man for directions.  I just didn't have time to ask two women.  Of a similar age to me, he asked about my trip and told me of his LEJOG when he was in his twenties.  He was able to confirm that my u-turn now had me headed in the right direction, so back into town, money drawn from bank, at the same time realising that this trip is costing me a fortune, or at least considerably more than my waving my finger around in the air guess had me believe.  I bought myself a bottle of fanta, as by now my stomach was feeling odd, and headed off up the hill.

What I can come down in excess of 40mph I have to push back up, stopping every 100 paces for a breather.  By the time I had got back to the station turning an hour had passed from the last time I was there, and the skies were becoming ominous.  Lejog man had mentioned the word downhill a lot so I was looking forward to the easy ride.  For the first 3 miles the road undulated, in an Aberdeenshire way, just more so.  I felt absolutely worn out and the rain was coming down.  This time though I was dressed for the occasion with full waterproofs, but missing my Tilley hat, a lot.  I stopped at the side of the road and threw up, and felt better for it.

The ride was long and dispiriting into headwinds that were more like those in Shetland.  I can now see why there are so many more LEJOGS than JOGLES.  Mile after mile I ground on, the feet soaking, the pedals spinning me along at very slow speeds.  There were plenty of downills, but the wind was making them less of a pleasure than they should have been.  I sailed past the sign for the Cross hill campsite.  I then did what people who are too tired to make a rational decision do, I kept going onto the next one, which although the sign said tents, didn't seem to want to welcome a tent-bearing weary traveller, and pointed me back up the road to the campsite I had missed.  It was only a mile and a half, but it might as well been 100. At that moment there was no way that I could make it.  A lot of money spent on a top class touring bike does not a touring cyclist make.

I headed away back to the junction and noticed some benches and tables.  I sat down for ten minutes just relaxing, then got out the flapjack chunks, the water and the lucozade.  Every mouthful was just turning my stomach more, but I just plodded on.  I got back on the bike, my butt making me silently howl inside with a burning pain and headed off back to the campsite.  After a mile I came across the picnic spot I had stopped in before, dragged the bike up to a table and laid down on a bench.  The midges were out in force, but at least the rain had stopped.  I laid there for 20 minutes, then got up and rode the last half mile, not sure what I would do if there were no room.  In the end I had the field to myself, the other field being full of the more common motorhomes and static caravans.  I had only ridden 18 miles, but I felt like I had gone 10 rounds with Bruno Brookes' mother.  The tent went up and I went in it, to sleep, perchance to dream.  I got out of it at 11pm to visit the facilities and make a brew with the Jetboil, before going back to sleep.

27/06/2015
I have always prided myself on being able to sleep anywhere, no matter how much noise there is, but I have woken every 15-20 minutes every night of this holiday, whether I was in the tent, on the ferry or in a hotel bed.  I will be glad when it passes.

I was in a real quandary whether to move on today or wait another day, using the day to rebuild some strength and get my stomach under control.  In the end I paid for another night and went for a shower.  Judging from the screaming from behind the shower door an unwilling toddler was being cleaned by his father.  I would just manage with a wash for now.  The council sign said all water on site should be boiled.  More flapjack cubes followed a cup of coffee, then feeling altogether better than yesterday I got on the bike and headed into Sedbergh.

The narrow high street is mainly cafes and I chose one that seemed to have elderlies coming and going.  At least I would look young and fit compared to this lot, unlike how I compared to the dozens of lycra clad cyclists zooming along in a race through the place.

The menu was split into sections by time of day, and it appeared that at this time of day I could have a fried egg roll or a bacon roll, but not egg and bacon on a plate.  I ordered the bacon bap, but struggled with swallowing the bread, so just chewed the bacon to death, washing it down with a cup of tea.  I bought a replacement hat, a baseball one this time for a tenner.  It says Weird Fish on it, and by wearing it I am apparently escaping the ordinary.  With glee in my heart at the thought of the special life ahead of me I strode down the high street under the hat.  I dropped into a bistro cafe and had a latte and a piece of lemon cake, so far so ordinary.  A table full of lycra-clads, this time more my age and shape, looked miserable, bemoaning their lack of enthusiasm for the event. The young square-jawed ones had long since scythed through the town.  These senior gentlemen were more resigned to the passing of time And waistbands.  They had the carbon fibre bikes, but it was not turning them into Tour de France hopefuls.  I felt their pain.  The hands of time had slapped the buttocks of misfortune.

Waiting for my change I went to pop my hat on, noticing the piece of cardboard stiffening still in the hat I realised that this might be what was stopping the special getting through.  I removed it, but the difference must have been insignificant for my feebleness to pick up on.

Greengrocers still exist so I picked up some bananas and a bag of broken brazil nuts not sure why they were £3.25, when the whole ones are £3.45.  Someone has saved me one bite, surely I should be paying more?

Back at the site I decided to write up my notes.  Whilst covertly slinging a used teabag into thick bushes I noticed that I had been spotted by a man who had put his tent up on the opposite of the field unnoticed by me due to the farm building between our tents.  He is a DoE leader and has a party of youngsters stopping here overnight.  They are 17 year olds apparently, so it will hopefully not be too bad.

More maintenance was needed on the bike, to the rear rack again where it attaches to the rear dropouts.  This time I went through the bolt collection, mostly wrong sizes, and managed to find some in the correct size and slightly longer.  Along with shake-proof washers and nuts I hope to have solved the problem until I get to Sussex when I plan to get more Loctite and actually use it this time.

As I bask in the acre or so of space that I have for my tent, motorhomes arrive and leave, presumably rejected through lack of space.  A hook up, a hook up, my kingdom for a hook up.  I envy them their chemical toilets though, although using one one the back of a bike may seem impolite in company.

A youngster has been brought along from the motorhome side to play on the swings.  There is also a climbing frame in the shape of a plane, but little to do for adults except relax.  I asked the farm owner if there was a casino on site.  He said there were two, and that I should just follow the flashing lights.  Not spotted them yet.

Bright and sunny here today, but clouding over with rain tomorrow, followed by a week of heatwave, a word not used in Shetland.  When it gets to 20 degrees C (70F) I start to fade, so interesting times ahead.  The plan is to ride to Lancaster then have a think about what to do next.  It is a city that I want to see for its history.

28/06/2015
The switch has been thrown and I have started to sleep better, 3 hours without waking at one point.  Perhaps my body has forgotten the memory foam mattress waiting for me back in Shetland.

It was raining at 7am and I laid there thinking about what to do.  Logic said stay another day.  I knew that by the time I was packed up and a few hundred yards down the road I would be wet through, and once I arrived in Lancaster, assuming that I made it that far, I would then be trying to dry out.  For once sense prevailed and I added another day to the number spent in Sedbergh.  There was enough to eat for breakfast, but I would have to make my way into town to get lunch, dinner and breakfast sorted.

The road past the campsite is not busy so I decided that a walk might do me some good.  It was only a mile and a half, but I would get into my waterproofs and wander along the road, sticking my thumb out at passing motorists.  If I unzipped the neck of my jacket my fleece got wet, so I did the jacket up and suffered a tropical environment inside.  Cars came and went.  Out went my thumb, but the only thing that happened was my thumb got wet.  No-one was offering me a lift.  As I came around one bend I noticed the car stopped on the other side of the road with its nearside indicator flashing.  As I got closer I was about to walk across the road to offer assistance when the car jerked forwards in a kangaroo-stylee, and I realised that someone was probably having their first driving lesson.

It wasn't long before I was in the High Street looking for a cafe and some information.  The first came quickly, a bustling cafe where I was eventually able to order ham and eggs on toast and a steaming mug of tea.  Apparently I had arrived after a large influx so there would be a wait.  Not a problem as waiting time is also drying time, and puddles were forming under the sleeves of my jacket on the cafe floor.  When the meal turned up I devoured it with gusto.  The cafe had started to clear, but I knew that my table was needed for a reservation so I didn't hang around, just got up and paid the bill.  I sought advice on a likely wifi connection and was told that they had one there and suggested that I sat back down and surfed away.  I just wanted to download my email and let my other half that I was still in the land of the living.

Being Sunday there was little open on the street, and the sole choice for food was a shop full of Happy Shopper produce.  Having no choice I picked up a few items including a couple of tins of sardines, a packet of Mash potato powder, some peanut butter, cream crackers, biscuits and a couple of packets of liquorice sweets.  Walking absentmindedly down the street I reached into the shopping bag for a bag of liquorice and opened it up, dived my hand in and quickly realised something was wrong.  I had opened the Smash - damn.  I had no way of sealing the bag up so it went into the nearest bin, and I went to the bus shelter to sulk and await the opening of the tourist info office.

I sat there wet and miserable, wondering when this tour would actually get underway.  Buying the Smash had been a disappointment, a, has my life really come to this, moment, but having it cruelly snatched away had made my plans for fish and mash for dinner turn into just fish.  A long stream of people passed by dressed to the nines in little summer frocks, or at least the women were so dressed, obviously part of a wedding party, and their faces suggested that they were no happier than I on this dismal day.

As life crashed to another low ebb it could only bounce upwards, and that bounce came in the tourist information office, which turned out to be a bookshop that gave tourists information.  I asked the old lady behind the counter about a taxi service and she advised against taxis as they were so expensive.  I explained that I had already walked into town, failing to thumb a lift.  Samantha then introduced herself from behind me.  Blonde, about 21 years old with a thrusting chest barely held in position by a top too skimpy for the inclemency of the weather and a skirt that surely she would catch a cold in if she were to bend over in, I instantly found myself admiring her wonderful personality.  She told me she was thoroughly disappointed in the poor time that I had spent in Sedbergh, and she wanted to take me somewhere warm so that we could discuss the finer points of Cumbrian tourism, and did I like hot baths, soapy suds, champagne and candles?  Sorry, it's the effects of the rain.  The reality was the woman who introduced herself was a retired teacher who offered me a lift back to the campsite.  She wasn't even going my way.  I took up the offer and got a lift back.  She wouldn't take the fiver I offered for petrol, so I asked her to give it to her favourite charity, she took it for the shop as all the information staff are apparently volunteers.  A good cause then.

The afternoon brightened up immensely and brought with it some more DoE kids, a bunch younger than yesterdays, and considerably more vocal.  With none of them more than 10 feet away from any of the others the group's conversation was louder than it needed to be.  I also noticed that if the number of kids was x, and y=x/2 then no more than y kids should be speaking simultaneously as at least y kids should be listening.  Sadly this rule was not working as most of the time I observed where s is speaking kids that s>y and sometimes s=x.  I sat there hoping to observe s=0, and finally did so at 22:30.  My day then improved.

For some reason my radio started working and I was able to get a Radio 4 fix, even if it was only Feedback, but at least they discussed Chris Evans turning his breakfast show, to which I am subject daily to by the bus driver on my travels to work, into an advertising arm of Top Gear ad nauseum.  It's enough to get me into the car again, almost.

So the plan for tomorrow, once again is to forge forth to Lancaster, about 35 miles away according to the caravan site owner.  My brother in law tells me that trains from there go to Wolverhampton.  I think more of this trip is going to be spent on the train miles-wise than riding Fermat.

Templogin

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 06:10:35 pm »
29/06/2015
I woke up to a completely different day today.  Cloudy, but dry with light winds.  I washed, breakfasted and packed up.  Before I left I thought that it would be good to go and have a chat to one of the DOE leaders about the behaviour of the kids.  She instantly expected a complaint, but I was happy to say what a lovely lot they were, boisterous at times, but went quiet at a sensible time.  She asked me to write to the headmaster as there were plans afoot possibly to stop doing DoE courses, which I think would be a shame.  I have never done it myself, but you can tell the kids who have put themselves through the hardships.

As I made my way across into Lancashire the wind picked up, but the clouds also started to clear and it became a lovely sunny day.  How it lifts the spirits.  I stopped several times to keep topping up on foods, but more importantly fluids.

I pottered around Lancaster for a while looking for an ice cream, but couldn't find a proper ice cream shop.  I soon found the railway station and went for a recce to see if I was going to be able to get the bike onto the platform easily, yes, there's lifts from the bridge level to the platform level.  Notices said that cyclists needed to make sure they had a bike reservation for the Virgin trains, and a ticket to prove it.

Just outside of the station there is a b&b which had a vacancies notice up.  All was falling into place, accommodation a hundred yards away.  I rang the bell and there was no answer, then a bloke came along with a ladder and told me there were no vacancies.  I pointed to the vacancy sign and he told me that they don't bother to take that down when they're full.  Well, no sense putting yourself to any inconvenience I suppose.

I soon found the TIC and they rang around for me, but everywhere was full, so they suggested Morecambe.  It's a 3 mile trip down a tarmaced disused railway line, so I was there in no time.  The first guest house I called on had a room vacancy so I booked in for the princely sum of £32, which I happily paid and had a quick shower and wandered off down the promenade.  I dropped into a pub and ordered a Magners, but was served a Guiness.  I have never had this before, but it seems OK.  Having said that, I would have sucked the moisture from the bar towels had no drink been available.  Perhaps Magners doesn't exist in this part of the world.

So, all in all a good day, much improved by the weather, still the headwinds, but more manageable.

Whinge of the day is bike paths.  When is a pavement a bike path and when isn't it?  Some that I have ridden on today have had brambles growing right the way across them, in fact in Lancaster som of the yellow lines on the road are obstructed by bushes growing over them, which is a shame as they seem to have done a lot for provision of cycle lanes around the town.

Templogin

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 11:16:29 am »
30/06/2016
It had been a hot night in the hotel.  I had the window of the room open, and the sound of traffic seemed loud, however it soon settled down and the boy racers went to be early.

Breakfast was served by a lovely young Romanian woman, with a smile that would gladden even the stoniest of hearts.  The egg of my egg and bacon was perfectly circular, and this seemed to go well with her obsession of making sure all of the knives and forks were perfectly straight.

I was soon packed up and heading off back into Lancaster along the path, well-used by both walkers and cyclists.  I dropped into the tourist information centre to say thanks a lot for the advice and used the cafe in the building.  I decided that despite being a couple of hours early I should go to the station and sort out the cycle reservation that I had been unable to print off from my iPad.

At the station I had a number of conversations with the platform staff and we agreed between us that as the bike was loaded at the back of the train and I was sitting at the front of the train in the air conditioned luxury of first class, i should leave my luggage on the bike, they would load it on the train for me and I should just wait at the front of the train and board when it came in.  Simplicity itself.

Hardly had we moved out of Lancaster that train slowed to 10mph and we were told that the driver had been asked to inspect the line.  Eventually we stopped, an obstruction was removed from the line and we carried on at normal speed.  It was announced over the tannoy that we were going to be late because of the line inspection procedure, and I realised that I would miss my advance purchase connection, with which I was supposed to travel on a specific train.  I asked a ticket inspector coming through the carriage and he wrote something on my ticket that would allow me free passage.  He then noticed that I had a cycle reservation ticket and asked if I had loaded my bike on the train.  I explained the negotiations between the staff and I at Lancaster, and he said that he didn't think that a bike had been loaded, and went off to check.  He was back before long apologising for the cock-up, saying that he had contacted Lancaster station and that the staff would load it on the next train, which meant an hour and a half wait in Wolverhampton.  There was little point getting ratty, it wouldn't serve any purpose.

The temperature in Wolverhampton was an outrageous 30 degrees.  I introduced myself to the new shift coming on duty and went for a walk into Wolverhampton city centre to get some cash from the bank, then came back and sat in the sweltering station.  I really don't do well in the heat.  It took too long for me to spot the first class lounge, but when I did I took advantage of its air conditioned loveliness, drinks from the fridge and snacks.  I had my cycle shorts on under my trousers so was sweating profusely and uncomfortable.

The train arrived and my bike was on it.  Everything was how I had left it, so at least that was a bonus.  Sadly the train had arrived in a few minutes late, just in time for me to see my train go out.  I got the bike over to the other platform to find that the next train for Telford was going to be even further into the rush hour.  When I jostled the bike onto the train there was much moaning, but at least people gave way to let me get on.  I could understand the moans as the train was hotter than Hades, and the moaning continued as the train rumbled along.

Tomorrow it will be as hot.

Donerol

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:57 am »
So how's it all going, TL?  You seem to have had more than your fair share of problems.  I keep wondering how you are getting on and hope that you are making better progress now.

Bon Voyage --  keep those wheels turning!

Templogin

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 07:22:21 pm »
I arrived at Telford and stayed a few days with the relatives, whilst I scratched my head contemplating the options: return to Shetland, continue cycling down to Sussex or take the train down to Sussex.  In the end the latter won, and so I am using the already paid for Travelodge booking.  The Travelodge is well out of town, but my son was around on Saturday and Sunday, so was ferrying me about in his car.  Eating out three meals a day is costing a small fortune so I wandered along to the nearest village, Billingshurst, to get some food, but the supermarket that I went to is being rebuilt and the nearest shop was devoid of any proper food.  I ended up in the bakery cafe eating a sausage roll and a gingerbread woman.

I was under the impression that there was no bus to this side of Horsham, so I have been contemplating buying a bike to ship back to myself.  I have found a decent fairly new Brompton, but it is the best part of a grand, which blows a big hole in my budget.  Either that or buy a cheapie Chinese bike and bin it at the end of the 12 days here.  Hire bikes are £10 a day.  That seems outrageous compared to £2.50 a day for a Brompton.  Sadly Brompton hire has not reached this far south yet.  I would have considered hiring an ebike, but I haven't found anyone close hiring them out.  I am keen to try one out.

The Travelodge room is much the same as the rest of them, looks like the place has just been burgled.  The laundrette has closed here so I am relying on others to put my clothes through their washing machine.  As I have got so few clothes with me I am going out to buy new underwear, socks and t-shirts tomorrow.  At least I will be able to hand over a decent washload then.  I was tempted to buy a drying rack and handwash the clothes, but the hotel might not approve, so I put that idea on the back burner.  The extra clothes will be shipped back home before I leave.

I have plans to leave Five Oaks on 16th July and take the train back to Telford, before riding north again.  I will try to figure out a route that will take me over to the left side of the country.  At the end of this I hope to be able to let you have a mileage for the tour, but it will be considerably lower that the 1,300 miles originally planned.  I think I bit off more than I could chew, but now the temperature has settled down, riding will be much more manageable.

Templogin

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2015, 04:13:15 pm »
The Towel has been Thrown In!

I spent 12 days in Sussex going out on day trips from the Travelodge that I was staying in.  The Thorn had been left at Telford so it was a case of scrounging lifts, the local busses, a taxi or Shank's Pony.  You need to be wealthy to be able to afford the bus here.  To get into Horsham, the nearest main town was £4.40 or £6.90 return.  I think that it is about 5 miles door to door.  Compare this to Shetland, where I travel discounted each day on a 34 mile round trip for £3.30.  A bargain.  The busses in Shetland are full of workers and students.  In Sussex they are full of OAPs, who are obviously travelling for nothing.  I found that if I walked 1.8 miles to the nearest village with a train station I could get to Horsham and back for £4.50.  I needed the exercise as I didn't have the bike, and was eating out.

I bought myself a Walkstool and a device to spread the load over a greater surface area.  With postage it was a few pennies short of £95, but came well recommended on this site and at crazyguyonabike, by the same person admittedly.  The stool is pure quality, but at that price you should expect it.  I had learnt my lesson from my cheap (£33) Chinese knock off of the Helinox One chair.

Near the end of the time in Sussex I looked at what my profligate spending was adding up to - just over £100 a day.  This tour was supposed to be cheap, but was working out anything but, so I decided that it was time to throw in the towel.  I took a train to Telford, where I was re-united with the bike, stayed a couple of nights, then took another train to Edinburgh, then on to Inverkeithing, where I had hoped to find a B&B.  Somehow I managed not to and ended up riding to Dalgety Bay, where I ate in a Chinese restaurant, then found some woodland between a railway line and the road, sufficiently hidden by the trees, although only a dozen feet from the road at most.  It rained heavily throughout the night, and although the trains stopped running the cars and trucks didn't, but as the road was straight I wasn't plagued by boy racers.

I was up and away by 9am, heading back to Inverkeithing.  I managed to take the coastal path by mistake.  Don't do it.  There are too many steps to lug the bike up and down.  Eventually I found my way back out onto a proper road and made my way to the station.  The platform was full of geriatrics, all wheeling suitcases that could have accommodated a family, which they shoved in the designated bike space on the train, of course, despite me shouting please leave the bike space free.  So I stood in the middle of the walkway holding my bike, wobbling every time we went over a set of points.

At Edinburgh Waverley the place was heaving with altogether too many Fred Perry polo shirts and Farah slacks.  I was soon advised that the Open golf tournament was on.  I had booked my train later in the day, so most of this lot were on their way by the time my train left.  I took the opportunity to have a pastie, 2 coffees and a flapjack for breakfast.

I managed, through intelligence gathering, to find out which train I needed to get on before the masses were told by the information board.  Ah ha!  I managed to secure a space in the dedicated bike space before it was filled with pushchairs and luggage.  It's funny how the pushchair pusher complained about my bike being in the dedicated bike space.  Do they all do this?

Whilst on the train I tried to get my ferry booking changed to today, but no outer cabins were available, so I decided to stay in Aberdeen for 3 nights until the next outer cabin is available.  At least I will be able to do some retail therapy for a while.

Templogin

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 04:34:47 pm »
Just read Matt's final report on the Stans so I thought that I would steal his summary layout!

Panaracer Pasela tyres - no punctures.
I still haven't worked out the mileage that I cycled, but I suspect it will turn out to be well below 300.

Total spend was just shy of £4,500 but this included equipment that I bought specifically for the trip including tent, mat, down bag, cooker, cooking pot etc.  I was away for 35 days and spent just shy of £100 per day, but I did spend £96 on underpants and socks (don't ask!) and £95 on a folding stool.

Never had any problems with food and drink, well I was in the UK.  The greatest difficulty was not putting on too much weight.  Took too much gear, but I always do.  I just need to limit myself to 2 panniers.  I sent my cooker back, but picked up another one on my way that I had bought previously and had shipped to the mainland.  Lost my Tilley hat, which was a disaster.

The roads were mostly good, with some shocking exceptions, but this was by UK standards and have nothing on the Stans I'm sure!  The only problem that I had with the bike, other than the rack bolts coming undone, was trying to ride along with the elastic strap around the brake lever.  That 10 miles was hard going.  I just thought that I was feeling weak that morning.

Since arriving back I have thought about why the tour didn't go as planned.  I reallised that I am a guy who enjoys his own company and spends many hours alone in the normal run of things, but being on the mainland I felt disappointed that I had no-one to share the experience with for much of the time.  I also missed being on Shetland, which is so much quieter than the mainland, and generally the drivers give you a wider berth.