Author Topic: Rides 2015 — add yours  (Read 88386 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Rides 2015 — add yours
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2015, 06:58:12 pm »
Y'did well to get out at all, Jim. Still plenty of snow there by the roadside....

All the best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2015, 09:42:36 am »
Spring has arrived in the Yorkshire Dales...  Finally got out to Upper Ribblesdale.

John Saxby

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2015, 07:48:22 pm »
Envy you your green, geo :-) 

Here are my notes from my first rides of 2015: 

These may not even qualify as “rides”, even when bundled together, so much as poking a seldom-exposed toe into the water after an impossibly long cold winter.  Not quite “Back in the Saddle Again,” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4wEZDez7s, but one has to start somewhere, sometime, and a few days after the equinox seemed if anything overdue.

I wanted to check out a few tweaks made on my Raven, Osi, over the winter, but mostly, with the temp finally easing above freezing (if barely) I was looking forward to a ride near the river, and a chance to see any signs of spring approaching.

Wellll…the first ride on my Raven was little more than a short outing, just a few kms in all. March 25 was the first mild day in about four months, with softness in the air brought on a gentle wind from the southwest, but not surprisingly, I guess, there was precious little visual evidence of spring. Certainly nothing like the greenery of Scotland, or Ireland, or the Yorkshire Dales. Here’s the photographic record: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y4vjhiuznfqat8x/AAAyIQlZ_2XdcadLpC5sfY8oa?dl=0

This too will pass. (He said, defiantly.)

The Tweaks Report is positive, however:

1)   Wheels:  I changed my rims over the winter, from Velocity Cliff Hangers to Mavic XM 719’s. The Velocity rims were sturdy and on the heavy side at nearly 600 gms each, with a deep V profile – probably more than I needed for the kind of touring I do. The Mavics are lighter (475 gms), with a flatter profile.

There are new Marathon Supremes (26 x 1.6) on the new rims as well, replacing those with sidewall damage and repairs from last summer. These are a known quantity, of course.

Everything felt lighter and more responsive – of course, the bike was unloaded – but even by comparison with my Eclipse derailleur (see below), Osi felt frisky.

2)   Small adjustments: repositioning the Rohloff shifter.  I angled the Thorn T-bar backwards slightly, maybe 12 – 15 degrees, to let me get a “door-knob” grip on the shifter more readily.  Repositioning that way, the shifter slides more easily into the natural angle of my right hand and wrist directed inwards from my elbow towards the centre of my torso. Not a big change, but it immediately felt less awkward.  “Home ergonomics” at play.

3)   Small adjustments:  more air for the ‘glider.  When I dismantled and cleaned the Chainglider last fall, I noticed a little wear from friction on the inside of the plastic sheath enclosing the rear portion of the chainring. To counter that and free up the chainring, I decided to introduce a little more slop into the system (assuming one is allowed to do such things with high-quality plastic engineering, and then, to talk openly about it.)  I eased a couple of the fixing tabs out of their slots, pried the inner and outer sides of the sheath slightly apart, and fixed the plot with several strips of plastic matte-black electricians’ tape. The result was an extra 3 mm +/- of play, both up and down and fore and aft -- the latter seemed to make the bigger difference. The extra slop made the ‘glider quieter when I spun the cranks with the bike on the stand, and effectively noiseless when on the road. I’ll keep an eye on everything as I do more distance more often, but first impressions are positive.

I followed up my ride last week with about 15 kms in an hour-plus this past Sunday afternoon, in the sunshine no less, around the Experimental Farm and along the canal. This, on my Eclipse derailleur bike, my Go (marginally) Faster bike. I wanted to check my new-last-fall Marathon Racers, and a clip-on Bibia mudflap from Dutch Bike Bits. The Racers rolled very well, although the 60-plus PSI was noticeably firmer and less comfortable than the similar pressure in my Raven’s 1.6 Supremes. The Bibia flap worked well, although the PlanetBike hybrid fenders don’t provide anything like the coverage of the VO alloy fenders on Osi.  I'll have to do some more fiddling to bring the Eclipse brifter levers slightly higher, and hence more accessible when I’m riding on the hoods. Every time I ride the Eclipse, I’m reminded how much better the Raven fits me, and hence how much more comfortable it is—the Eclipse does not present big problems, just some not-quite-right settings to be sorted.  The Raven’s fit and ride comprise the reference points.

More reports to some in due course. I’m getting some lightweight camping gear over the next 6 weeks, and hope to try that out on a 4-5-day ride through the Madawaska Highlands in late May. By then, there'll be greenery a-plenty, and I'm hoping that our very late spring will put the bugs back on their heels.

Andre Jute

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2015, 03:13:46 am »
That's an interesting report, John; thanks.

Ergonomics, in the sense of user comfort, is a matter of tiny adjustments, which is one reason I have learned, late in life, that I hate to have anyone else work on my bike. But getting the adjustments right is absolutely essential to the longterm health of your fingers and wrists.

I'm surprised to hear about wear in the Chainglider. I haven't had mine open for thousand kilometers, but I'll take it right off when I service the bike next and inspect it carefully. It is another place where very minor adjustments usually make the most difference.

Andre Jute

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2015, 03:18:20 am »
If this is the spring, they can keep it.

Dull here, with sunny patches, but at least no rain. Temperature, believe it or not, in double figures Celsius, just, but there. The problem is a 35kph wind absolutely head-on going out, and lashing you with the wind chill factor from behind on the way home. Looks great from behind glass but is impossible to cycle in, as I discovered when I wheeled my bike out. And wheeled it back in. Aargh!

John Saxby

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2015, 02:04:32 pm »
I'm surprised to hear about wear in the Chainglider

Thanks, Andre. The problem wasn't too serious -- just that the wear on the inner sides of the sheath was noticeable.  Similarly, the home-made adjustment seems to have helped.  Equally, it might've been a matter of me being fussy, when I simply could have ignored the whole thing.

On the spring thing, the season that is:  We're waiting for a serious rain to clear away the ugly snow.  Mind you, the detritus of winter is beginning to appear, and there will be a huge amount of yard work to be done in a few weeks' time.  I'll take the tradeoff, though--forecast for Friday is 13!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2015, 07:52:46 pm »
I'm a chainglider man.
Can you clarify...
fixed the plot with several strips of plastic matte-black electricians’ tape. The result was an extra 3 mm +/- of play, both up and down.....

What do you mean by ' plot'?

Thanks
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

John Saxby

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:59 pm »
Thanks, Matt.  Sorry for being obscure.  By "plot", I meant most of the the front part of the 'glider, where I had loosened the fixing tabs.  I pried these parts slightly apart:

i)    The sheath over the rear part of the chain ring;
ii)   The top and upper half of the front part of the 'glider, over the top & front of the chain ring.

I left the tabs alone in the lower front part of the 'glider.

Having expanded things a bit, I then put electricians' tape lengthwise on the top and upper-front part of the 'glider, and on the rearmost part of the sheath covering the rear part of the chain ring.  The tape is only about 1/2" wide, so I used two overlapping strips. That way, the 'glider can't (I hope!) come fully apart, and dirt and water can't easily get in.

Hope that's helpful, Matt--sorry for causing confusion.

Andre Jute

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2015, 11:03:27 pm »

21km across the hills nestling in a loop of the river between where I live on the River Bandon and Kilmacsimon Quay at the tip of the upper estuary. The photo is of a restful lane providing a shortcut home via Ballylangley, from nearer Innishannon, also on the river. You can't ride home along the river because right by Innishannon there is a short section of narrow road without hard shoulders and very fast, impatient commuter traffic.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2015, 08:12:54 pm »
Perfect weather here today & I managed to get out, my longest ride so far this year, 38 miles:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/674735158

John Saxby

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2015, 09:33:08 pm »
Great stuff, Jim -- must feel good!  Love the wee waterfall -- there'll be a nice audio with that, for sure.  20o here today, and heavy rain on Friday, but the parkways in the hills across the river are still packed with snow. So, I contented myself with 2-3 hours along the bikepaths beside the big river, and along the canal & through the Experimental Farm.  Today was our Annual Display of Dopiness--people get a bit daft on the first warm day, wandering aimlessly around the road, staring at the clear blue sky, closing their eyes with the sun on their face--all this whilst driving/riding/jogging/whatever.  Caution advised ... 

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2015, 09:59:43 pm »
That road follows the stream up a bit more, then T's onto another road that crosses the stream right at a couple of bigger waterfalls. One of those drops the water right under the bridge, so it makes a sort of booming cavern sound. Very impressive!

John Saxby

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2015, 01:17:50 am »
Great stuff, Jim -- must feel good!  Love the wee waterfall -- there'll be a nice audio with that, for sure.  20o here today, and heavy rain on Friday, but the parkways in the hills across the river are still packed with snow. So, I contented myself with 2-3 hours along the bikepaths beside the big river, and along the canal & through the Experimental Farm.  Today was our Annual Display of Dopeyness--people get a bit daft on the first warm day, wandering aimlessly around the road, staring at the clear blue sky, closing their eyes with the sun on their face--all this whilst driving/riding/jogging/whatever.  Caution advised ... 

Erudin

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2015, 08:59:37 am »
Rode the Bunny Hop 50km Audax down Falmouth yesterday. Spotted a lovely looking Thorn Mercury, a stunning green Thorn Audax, and a steam engine called Janet. The ride was nice and relaxed and finished off with tea, sandwiches and superb home-made cake at the Falmouth Cricket Club.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:27:47 pm by Erudin »

David Simpson

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:10 pm »
It was a beautiful morning here in Vancouver, and I took some pictures of my commute to work. When the sun is shining, the view is fantastic.

The first photo is looking southeast at the city centre. The second is is southwest over English Bay. The last one is looking back north at the North Shore mountains. It has been unseasonably warm this spring, and the snow had disappeared from the mountains until two nights ago, when we got about 10cm up there.

[The original photos were upside-down. I have re-uploaded them in the correct orientation.]

- Dave
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:07:48 am by davidjsimpson »