Author Topic: Marathon supremes 26 x 1.60  (Read 2003 times)

in4

Marathon supremes 26 x 1.60
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:13:09 pm »
Anyone used these tyres? Comments appreciated.

brummie

Re: Marathon supremes 26 x 1.60
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 05:43:59 pm »
Can't fault them as a performance road going slick... a very close second to Marathon Racer 26 x 1.5...

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:52:14 pm »
Here's a good review and followup commentary from Graham Smith on crazyguy:  https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?o=Sh&thread_id=350687&page=1&nested=0&v=2i

I included my own experience with these tires with some posts towards the end of that thread. Just did a quick search on the Thorn Forum for 'Schwalbe Marathon Supremes' and that turned up several threads here as well.

My quick résumé of reading/listening/experience would be:  lovely tires, vulnerable sidewalls, be prepared.  WRT being prepared, I found some HD sidewall repair patches made by Filzer, which I'll add to my kit. A post by Rual on one of the Thorn thread, which I've been unable to find, included a tidy bodge (my word, not his) for a cut Supreme sidewall which uses fabric medical tape, Elastoplast or something similar, stitched into place with dental floss.  This has a repurposing elegance that makes me almost long for another roadside problem, just to try it out -- or maybe not, maybe I'll just try it on one of the disabled/repaired Supremes in my workshop.

Worth noting, finally, that a fair bit of the commentary on Supremes describes experience with the 2.0" variant.  Not sure if these assessments differ significantly from those for the 1.6's, aside from the fact of lower tire pressures.  The question of appropriate pressures for the 1.6's has a wide range of answers, from "on the low side of the recommended range" to "maximum". This coming summer, on tarmac I'll use 60-65 psi front (~65 loaded), and 65-plus at the rear, ~70 when loaded;  a bit less on gravel.  

in4

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:28:42 pm »
Many thanks for the replies. The Crazy Guy' report was very useful too. Looking for folding 26 x 1.60 - 1.75 with good sidewalls is proving interesting but very informative. There are a few brands available and a number of choices to consider but its the real life field tests that swing it for me.

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:39 pm »
I'm using 26 x 1.6 Supremes, very pleased with them, fast and feel secure.  However, I have only done about 200 - 300 miles on them so far, on tarred, often potholed roads.  I run them at about 60 psi rear, 55 front. 

Would the Panracer Ribmo be worth a look?? 

Lewis

triaesthete

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 04:36:50 pm »

1.6 Supremes feel a lot nippier than 2.0 but will actually run at similar pressures and comfort levels ( because the average rim is not wide enough to support the wider section at lower pressures)

I use mine for a lot of off road exploring and the grip is suprising. Only sidewall wear and tear has been the reflective bands starting to come unglued but I'm "lucky" with this sort of thing.

Puncture resistance is phenomenal, just pick any embedded shrapnel out of the rubber occassionally.

Durability is good.

I run 50ish psi rear and low 40s front and only top them up when they become noticeably soggy. I'm 78kg.

I'll only buy 1.6 in future

in4

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 08:48:46 pm »
Thats it! Supremes ordered. Looking forward to giving them a spin. Many thanks for experiences shared. I'm 78kg too so I'll see how a 50/40 psi  split works for me. I always think in bars though LOL Thanks