Author Topic: My new Sherpa  (Read 4676 times)

Daniel Beckham

My new Sherpa
« on: December 02, 2014, 01:18:30 pm »
I have now built my ‘mostly’ new Sherpa after many months of deliberating to go 700 or 26” and various frame options. I am so pleased I chose the Sherpa, Steve at Thorn was most helpful and was generous with his time, allowing me to try a bike which I felt instantly at home on.

I purchased a new frame a fork set from Thorn which they prepared and internally waxed for me while I went for a coffee which made the build that bit easier. Wheels were from Spa Cycles in Harrogate as they are offering a discount to CTC members and very fine they are too, with LX hubs, double butted spokes and Exal LX17 rims. I particularly like these as they have a wear grove in the rim taking the guess work out of when they will need changing. The transmission group set is Shimano Deore 10 speed and shifts beautifully, partly due to the M615 Shadow + rear derailleur upgrade. Brakes are Shimano LX with LX trekking (4 finger) leavers which have plenty of stopping power and perform much better than the Acera items they replace. They adjust much better too with the screw actually moving the arm, something the Acera seemed reluctant to do.

I have now put just over a 100 miles or so on my Sherpa and enjoyed every mile, can’t wait to get her loaded up and get away from it all! 

Daniel

AndyE

Re: My new Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:33:37 pm »
Welcome to the Sherpa club Daniel, and a fine home build too. You will not be disappointed. I too await the chance to load up my Sherpa and peddle off for an adventure.

Andy
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:20:35 pm »
I have had several good trips with my Sherpa.  Some on gravel, some on pavement.  It carried my camping gear while providing good handling.  I expect you will find the same.

jags

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 02:35:11 pm »
great build enjoy it ;)

jags

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »
Love the colour! Looks like quite a big size?

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:09:51 pm »
Nice bike, Daniel -- enjoy!  Love the autumn colours too.  I'd be interested to hear about your experience with the EXAL LX-17's over the next while -- they look like good quality, & I investigated into getting a pair from Spa Cycles, but learned that they don't ship rims to North America  :-(   

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 03:58:00 pm »
Aw! What a lovely build, Daniel, and a terrific photo of it as well.

I think you'll be well-pleased with your choice even years down the road. It sure is a beauty!

Best,

Dan.

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »
Sure is a beauty.
I'm here, there and everywhere.

alfie1952

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:07:09 pm »
A real classy number, enjoy

Alfie

Daniel Beckham

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 11:24:12 am »
Thank you for the kind comments. It is the largest frame, 600L and I have not reduced the steerer but for the moment I really like the upright position. I used to get pain across my shoulder blades after 30 - 40 miles which I have not experienced yet so may keep it jus the way it is even though guys at the cycle club feel its a little odd looking. I think its nice to see around you while cycling, it is they journey that is important, not how fast you can get there after all. I have a drop bar bike but think I'll save that for the odd summer ride. The Thorn is like wearing your favourite slippers.