Author Topic: packing list thorn bike.  (Read 5981 times)

jags

packing list thorn bike.
« on: November 19, 2014, 11:34:07 am »
What do guys reckon on this set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrLOk8Ko0CY

anto.

leftpoole

Re: packing list thorn bike.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:38:28 pm »
What do guys reckon on this set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrLOk8Ko0CY

anto.

All too much and too heavy! But cheaper than my stuff!
John

jags

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 01:39:41 pm »
i kinda thought that  4 panniers for one week  :o

anto

AndyE

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:02:20 pm »
Anto there are so many variables to carrying kit, it will all depend on the level of comfort you want and the bulk and weight of the items you own or can loan. After a couple of goes at packing my panniers I see on real difference in the kit that will go with me on an extended cycle trip, a week or above, than the kit I have packed when sea kayaking and backpacking, other than cycle spars and parts. What I have found over many many years of sleeping out and in all weathers, heavy or light weight is having a good routine. Where and when you tour will also have an impact on the kit you carry too.

I will garentee that on my first shake out ride and camp there will be something I will change mid tour and for the next trip. There is only one way to solve your question anto is "pack your bags with your kit"

Andy
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:55:48 pm by AndyE »
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

jags

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 04:55:26 pm »
Andy what gets me every time is what cloths to take  ::)
and they take up most of the panniers.
i  think i have my Tent sorted thanks to John it's much smaller than the one i have at present but yeah its much lighter and packs smaller as well ..

This past few months Andy i've be looking at Bushcraft  god i love this stuff  mind you i'm only looking the wife thinks i've lost the plot.Anto sleeping in the woods  ;D ;D
no faith in me that woman. ::)
but where was i oh yeah there kit is not a million miles away from cycle touring or even backpacking ?
so if a fella got his kit sorted he could do the lot ..this is what i have for a weeks touring.

shelter n sleeping.
Tent- saunders fellpacker 1 man (i think)
Exped syn matt,
Down Quilt.
Thermarest compressable pillow (med)

cooking..(god help me)
small gas  stove
couple alu pots small,(soup or beans)..

bike .(nearly forgot that)
Thorn Audax 853
Tubus rear rack
Ortlieb Classic Panniers.
Small barbag..

cloths.
2 pair bibs.
2 base layers.
2 cycling jerseys
1 pair leg warmers
1 pair arm warmers

off bike
1 pair trousers
rab coat
socks
underware .

can't think of much more  but going as light as i can whenever i do go. ;D

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 05:19:20 pm »
Anto, I agree with AndyE; the best way to learn to pack is to do it for oneself and then get out there and test, test, test with successive trips, as the specific ingredients will always vary to some degree. There's also real value to be found camping in the backyard to sort out your sleep system or get used to pitching the tent in a downpour. If you get it wrong, no real penalty; just run for the house and warm bed a few meters away.  :D

I've accumulated enough kit over the years -- some of it is 35 years old and still holding up fine -- so I can quickly grab and assemble a setup appropriate to need keeping in mind time away, season, geography, and proximity to resupply. At the extreme, I'm set for months or years on the road solo, regardless of location. At the lighter end of things, I'm fine for lightweight 3-season camping...overnighters that can be extended almost indefinitely if I can regularly resupply with food and water. One of these lighter setups might appeal to you, as I can take it on one of my rando bikes and it has almost no impact on my speed or distance. Here's one example...

Using just two small panniers (Ortlieb SportPacker Plus) and my rear rack, the packing looks like this:

Rear rack top: 1-person tent and rainfly with footprint (Coleman eXponent Dakota 1 or I can substitute my Terra Nova Laser Competition 1), cycling rain gear (helmet cover, shoe covers, jacket and pants, gloves), Joos Orange solar panel/accumulator battery.

Left pannier:
• Self-inflating sleeping mat, full-length; folded lengthwise and rolled, secured with a velcro strap.
• Mini-Trangia cook kit with extra fuel (my preferred combo is an Esbit spirit stove with simmer cap, Mojo pot stand, folding BSR windscreen, Mini-Trangia pot and lifter with non-stick frypan/lid, MSR piezoelectric igniter, Swiss Army Knife, two folded Primus spoons/forks, MSR scraper/brush, small fuel bottle...all stored in pot set bag. Weight: 680g. Can substitute a version made from a beer can and two cups with lid that weighs 450g and fits in my open hand).
• Homemade Reflectix cozy for freezer-bag cooking.
• Spare jersey and shorts.
• Under the cap-top lid: Cycling tights and longsleeve wool jersey with wind panels, carried in a small stuff sack.
• Toilet kit (asthma/thyroid meds, toothbrush/paste/floss, crystal deodorant/antiperspiran, small bottle baby shampoo that also serves as dish soap)

Right pannier:
• Sleeping bag in stuff sack with inflatable pillow or use rain gear stuff sack as pillow.
• Food, carried in a roller sack.
• Spare socks and underwear, head buff, light fleece balaclava in small sack..
• Under the cap-top lid: Midweight fleece pullover carried in small stuff sack.

In my rear jersey pockets:
• Smartphone (which includes my camera, GPS/maps, flashlight, compass, Internet access, and e-books as well as movies and music plus phone functions)
• Mains charger, spare battery, and ear buds for phone.
• Small packets of facial tissues for general cleanup, nose-blowing, and toilet paper.
• Pocket first-aid kit
• If needed, SteriPen water purifier and toilet trowel.

With this setup, I can eat hot food/drink, remain warm and dry riding or sleeping down to freezing/0°C, and don't even need a handlebar bag. I can read e-books, listen to music, or watch movies in my tent. I can navigate if needed (backup compass on my watch), and the lot is light enough to not interfere when I want to make good time/distance. I prefer to carry the two small panniers on my front rack, but they can be carried at the rear instead. No suffering, good fun, and fast/light for little cost. Sleeping pad is my usual Nemo Tuo 20R at 1kg but is comfortable and warm, can substitute a featherweight Thermarest in hot weather), and my lighter, sub-kilo down sleeping bag good to freezing. The whole works does well up to a week or so, but can be easily extended if one wishes. At the colder end, one can wear everything and be warm as toast.

A good, useful touring kit needn't be expensive, bulky, or heavy and it doesn't require suffering!

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 05:29:35 pm »
Anto,

Layering is the key to the clothing issue. Try and calculate the coldest you'll be, and take enough so you'll be warm if you wear everything including the rain gear.

For "town use", I might add a pair of lightweight nylon-blend trousers (cargo pants) with zip-off legs and a nylon webbing belt. I use my jersey as a shirt, tucked in to the waistband of the pants so it looks a little neater. My longsleeved, zip-front jersey or a wind jacket can go over that and look okay. I *probably* won't be attending the opera while on-tour, and this is good enough to get me into a cafe or for shopping/being a tourist while off the bike.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 05:32:22 pm »
Pretty good guide, Dan--thanks!  

Three-season camping has just ended here -- the wind chill this morning was -18, and the wet snow from earlier in the week was all crust and ice :-(

Looking at experimenting over the winter with using no rear panniers, only 2-3-4 drybags strapped to the rear rack. The T-42 Arkels are effective but quite heavy. (2.7 kg / 6 lbs)  By comparison, three or four drybags and several bungees weigh  500 gms or less, barely a pound.  Reports to come in a few months.

jags

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 05:44:23 pm »
cheers dan i will study that lot ;)

anto

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 05:45:56 pm »
The T-42 Arkels are effective but quite heavy.
<nods> True enough, John, and same for Ortliebs. I'm always astonished at how much I'm carrying to carry even more!

Still, heavy bags are sturdy bags for long-term use. I've made my own panniers and handlebar bags in the past, sometimes using lightweight materials and the result came in at considerably less weight...until the bags failed in use that would never have phased a heavier set. Leaning the loaded bike against a tree, for example, proved to be a no-no as rough bark punched the odd hole or two right through the fabric, which was selected for linear toughness but did nothing much at all to prevent through-punctures.

Looking forward to your drybag trials!

All the best,

Dan.

AndyE

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »
Bush craft, field craft, camp craft, call it what you will all the same to me, just different gear and techniques for any given situation.  What matters is been confident in using "your Kit" in rain or shine. What kit works for me may not be OK for you! Don't be fooled in to thinking that anyone has a perfect system or equipment because they don't. What differs is experience and an ability to make and make do at times and adapt to a situation with the kit you have.  

A close sea kayaking friend of mine is 6'5" he paddles what can only be described as the Panamax of sea Kayaks. His kit is completely different to that of mine, yet we both have light weight and low volume tents and sleeping mats, sleeping bags, Packing wise his kit just that bit bigger than mine. He has a system  and routine for packing his kit, I have a system and routine for packing mine.  

Anto your system and routine will come with practice.

Andy  
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 06:33:40 pm »
Pretty good guide, Dan--thanks!  

Three-season camping has just ended here -- the wind chill this morning was -18, and the wet snow from earlier in the week was all crust and ice :-(

Looking at experimenting over the winter with using no rear panniers, only 2-3-4 drybags strapped to the rear rack. The T-42 Arkels are effective but quite heavy. (2.7 kg / 6 lbs)  By comparison, three or four drybags and several bungees weigh  500 gms or less, barely a pound.  Reports to come in a few months.

I used an Alpkit drybag for about 1500km, bungeed on, and it was fine.   I've had problems with bungees cutting through bags before (notably tent compression sacks, and then the tent), but the dry bag was fine.   In winter conditions I'm not sure of any advantage in lightweight bags.  Bungees are a pain in warm weather, in cold weather (cold hands) they a real pain.   Weight of panniers is more headline grabbing (1.5kg !!!!!) than practically a probem (less than 1% difference in all-up weight?).

But experimentation is the only way to know what works for you.

cheers,

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 06:53:29 pm »

Doug,

I've had very good luck over the years using Arno straps:
http://arnostrap.com/default.asp?content=productdetails&id=12
http://www.rei.com/product/833518/coghlans-arno-straps

The Arno straps are easy to tie up or undo with one hand even in frigid conditions and hold fast and tight without wobble or harming delicate loads beneath so long as minimal care is used in buckle placement. The zinc-plated steel buckles have outlasted plastic pinch-fasteners for me under continued UV exposure and extreme cold. I still use plastic Fastex buckles and nylon webbing for my pannier cinch straps, but it's Arno all the way for my rack-top loads.

I gave up on bungees after I found they became stretched-out and allowed the load to wobble in my use. The capper came when I talked to a fellow who had lost an eye to one. The hook slipped under tension and...!  Shortly after, I met another fellow who had lost his front teeth in a similar accident. Grisly.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 07:01:40 pm »
Thanks again lads for all the advice.
Andy i.ll get there in the end fear not.

anto.

il padrone

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 10:28:57 pm »
Something that many newcomers to the magic of cycle-touring often ask with wonder is 'How do you carry all your food and camping gear on a long summer tour?' It is something that comes from long experience, trying different types of camping gear and accessories, loading the bike in various combinations of rear panniers, handlebar bag, front panniers and even trying a trailer.

For a tour of anything over 3 days you need to start looking at carrying a wider range of tools and spares for the bike, and camping items that will give you a bit of creature comforts. Subject to your hill climbing ability and low gears, carrying a bit of extra weight is manageable on a bike - after all the weight is not on your back like on a bushwalk. The bike carries the weight on sturdy racks and panniers; you just have to push it along. As a result I have never been a fan of the school of ultra-light weight gear. I like things that are reliable and will last me for more than one tour. Accordingly some of the items in this list of gear to tour with may seem luxurious or even excessive, however I tour with them regularly on longer trips and still seem to get up the mountains OK. It is to some extent what you are used to.

Note: this list is the items suitable for extended remote area touring with lots of bush camping. An abbreviated list could be used when touring in more developed areas with mainly caravan park camps.

Tools
   6" shifting spanner
   pliers
   2 tyre levers
   Topeak Alien multi-tool
   8mm spanner
   15mm pedal spanner
   chain tool
   6, 8, 10mm allen keys
   spoke key
   Rohloff sprocket remover
   screw driver (dual head)
   cleaning brush
   puncture repair kit
   tyre boot

Spares
   gear & brake cables
   spokes (inside handlebar)
   brake pads
   adhesive tape
   zip ties (asstd. sizes)
   baling wire
   hose clamp
   steel rod (5 x 110mm)
   assorted nuts & bolts
   2 tubes
   grease tub
   chain lube

Camping & Cooking
   tent
   groundsheet
   extra rain fly
   Exped Synmat
   LED lantern
   Helinox camping chair
   stove & fuel
   cooking set (w/pot grip, matches, lighter, dishwashing liquid)

mess kit
   serrated knife
   cutting board
   wooden spoon
   water purification tablets
   Ortlieb collapsible basin
   6L water bag
   sleeping bag
   silk sleeping sheet

Clothes - cycling
   T-shirts x 3
   cycling jersey
   knicks x 2
   Juggernauts shorts
   lycra tights
   thermal underwear
   socks x 4
   cycling jacket
   windproof fleece top
   Showerspass rain jacket & overpants
   cycling shoes
   cycling mitts

Clothes - casual
   shirt
   jeans/travel pants
   sandals/street shoes
   sun hat

Personal toiletries
   toothbrush   )
   toothpaste   )
   shaver       )all in kit bag
   soap      )
   shampoo      )
   pocket knife   )
   ear plugs   )
   bath plug   )

travel towel
   first-aid kit
   small roll toilet paper
   folding toilet trowel

Food storage
   assorted plastic food jars
   snap-lock bags
   insulated lunch pack

Extra items
   LED head torch
   digital camera
   fly net
   thermometer (clipped outside handlebar bag)
   compass
   maps & map pocket
   ocky straps
   pens
   mp3 player
   book to read
   cycle bidons
   bike computer
   1.5L water bottle
   stuff sacks
   sunglasses
   UV blockout