Author Topic: When to change to brake cable and which one to buy?  (Read 3278 times)

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
When to change to brake cable and which one to buy?
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:35:11 am »
I am cycling into Central Asia and I was thinking to buy one spare brake cable for my Deore XT brakes. Which one should I buy?
Cycling around the world on a Thorn Nomad!
http://en.thecrazytravel.com/

Far-Oeuf

Re: When to change to brake cable and which one to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:55:56 am »
There are two types of cable-end, road or MTB. For XT you need the mountain bike version. Pull your brake lever and you'll see the shape of the cable-end, where the cable fits into the lever mechanism. Get the same one.

Don't cut it before you need to use it, or the cable strands will unravel and weaken the cable.

Cheers
Doug
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:58:45 am by Far-Oeuf »

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:44:08 am »

il padrone

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:07:56 pm »
I can recommend cables like the Jagwire teflon-coated. Not only does the teflon-coating help reduce cable friction, it has helped to prevent the ends of the cables fraying over the past 4 years for me.

phopwood

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:30:11 pm »
I tend to buy Clarks stainless cables, I assume you are talking about taking an inner cable only.  The cables can be a PITA to cut, so buy the correct one before you go rather then the universal ones, as then you don't need to cut it.  The excess cables can be looped round it self and tapped on either the front or back brake.

Peter

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:20:02 pm »
There are two types of cable-end, road or MTB. For XT you need the mountain bike version. Pull your brake lever and you'll see the shape of the cable-end, where the cable fits into the lever mechanism. Get the same one.

Don't cut it before you need to use it, or the cable strands will unravel and weaken the cable.

Cheers
Doug

If you buy one with different ends on each end of the cable and don't cut it first, then you will need a cable cutter with you on the trip.

That is why I cut mine before I leave home. I put some electrical tape around it before I cut it, I cut thru the tape and the tape that remains on the cable keeps it from unraveling.  I carry one long enough for the rear, it will also work on the front if needed.  I only carry one, not a pair.

Since I do not carry a cable cutter, I assume that I will later have to wrap up a long bit of excess cable hanging out of a brake unit, but I carry some tape with me so I can take care of that if necessary until I can get to someone that has a cutter.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:24:25 pm by mickeg »

phopwood

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 06:24:35 pm »
A drop of super glue will also stop them from fraying.

Peter