Author Topic: cycling routes in Ireland  (Read 2828 times)

jags

cycling routes in Ireland
« on: November 10, 2016, 12:03:22 pm »
http://cycleireland.ie/cooley-peninsula-cycle-loop/.

came across this site today might be usefull for anyone touring ireland.

jags

dc

Re: cycling routes in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 06:41:22 pm »
Nice one Jags.

jags

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 06:49:07 pm »
it's Well done dc the website that is  ::)
i done a few of them some crackin routes up north but  hilly .
as long as the sun shines the bike and pilot going well few bob in the ass pocket sure what more would a fella want.

jags.

jags

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 10:26:36 pm »
this is one of my favourate routes check it out  lads i think you might like it.

http://cycleireland.ie/boyne-valley-cycle-loop/

jags

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 12:48:38 am »
It's all so lovely, Jags.  I'm still mulling over in my mind, the possibility of a ride through the Celtic fringe of Europe. Maybe organize it around LEJoG, but with some time in Ireland as well the Western Highlands & Islands. Have to look more closely at the routes of cycleireland...

What's the best time of year? May? Can you persuade Rual to visit The Holy Ground & bring his camera, so that I can visit at the same time & be sure of sunshine?

Cheers,  John

jags

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 09:37:54 am »
John May is usually a lovely month but you can't depend on the weather here in ireland, nothing to bad  but i do like sun on my back when i cycle. frost here this morning  ::).
west of( Ireland   wild Atlantic way is  class ) mizen to malin .
but up my end is pretty nice as well .

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 03:26:37 pm »
Thanks, Anto.  May is a pretty good month all round the world, so I'll think of that month.  Have to read journals and check the maps closely for secondary roads, where the traffic is less of a threat.  May not happen for a year or two, as next year I'm looking at a tour with our daughter, in New York state or here in Canada.  I don't mind the wet, so long as it's not wet and cold.

jags

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 05:33:54 pm »
the roads here are narrow and twisty not what you would call smooth tarmac but not bad saying that. ;D traffic on the b roads is fine drivers usually give you a wide birth but there's always one who think cyclists should not be on the road but i guess you get that all over.

if you ever decide to come i should have a map from the time i done mizen to malin  irelands end to end now called the wild Atlantic way.
i will gladly post it over to you ,
weather in may is never cold can't guarantee it won't rain tho  ;D ;D
to be hones the weather is what put's me off touring Scotland i reckon it's exactly the same as we get here ,if i was going on a tour it's the sun i would be heading to  a change is as good as a rest.

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 10:49:55 pm »
Thanks, Anto. This is still at the "it's a possibility" stage, but I do want to look into it a bit more. Will let you know how it shapes up.  The weather is what it is, but I can understand you wanting to go south.  I'd like to spend some time cycling in France, so of course in no time at all, one month has become three :-)

jags

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 11:49:02 pm »
i cycled france  abandoned after 3 days of monsoon rain never seen the like of it in my life,befriended a french man on the journey home still friends to this day,  i think he taught i was touched  :-\
but yeah a great cycling country  you need some french tho ,mind you saying that they all speak english it's just a matter of getting it out of them. ;)

spain  the camino was magic  tough cycling but man i was 2 stone lighter on my  full carbon look kx light i was going as good as marco pantani  what a trip  loved every pedal stroke. the weather was unreal nearly killed anto but in a nice way.

italy i hated it just did not like the italians found them very arrogant and u can only eat so much spaggitti  no i wont be going to italy again

uk was great but weather just like here terrible ,
if the sun shone in ireland  i reckon it would be the the best wee country to cycle tour ,friendly people good food  if you like a pint no where better great music ,but yeah i'm a dreamer ,  i seriously don't think i'll ever tour anywhere but here  reasons  bad back/no money/don't like solo touring/impossible to find someone  good to tour with  believe me i'm an expert on that score. :'( :'(

so there u have it john ,best of luck in your plans hope you get to see all you want if you have health money time to do it and no one better than your daughter then go for it, u only pass this way but once. ;)

anto.