Author Topic: new sherpa...poor photographer  (Read 8329 times)

spoon boy

new sherpa...poor photographer
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:50:35 am »
Okay managed to take some pics and hope these come out

Admin if they are to big can you resize them? or teach me how lol

Cake

Re: new sherpa...poor photographer
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:14:37 pm »
Thats a fine looking bicycle SpoonBoy.

After putting the panniers etc. on it, it must have been tempting to ride straight off into the sunset!

Enjoy!

Gary.

pastafarian

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:19:54 pm »
Now that's what I call a touring bike! Love it :-*

By the way, is that the standard pump peg position on the Sherpas?

bobs

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:39:53 pm »
Have to agree a great looking bike. Enjoy your trip.

spoon boy

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:43:43 pm »
Why thank you chaps

Pasta thats the standard pump placements I feel..they are welded on and painted over so I suspect they are as they should be... mind you the pump was over £20 to make sure it fits right but it's an excellent placement.

You can see my concern about using a 40 litre and a front low rack but will give it a go

jags

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:51:23 pm »
yip class love it ,you have her well colour coded looks great ,are they marathon supreams you have on ,what about light's .anyway well done great set up enjoy.

spoon boy

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:04:24 pm »
the tires are 26 x 1.5 city jets, they came with them on... I would if the choice had been avaliable chosen differently
However most of the early stages are good european roads so the tyre would seem a good use till the replacement is needed.

As with most of the components they will mostly be all replaced many times over so as they need they will be upgraded

the lights aren't on but as will only be riding sun up till sun down i've only got a rear light the cats eye shown on the sherpa pdf..Cateye TL-LD1100 10 LED Opticube Rear Light
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:14:25 pm by spoon boy »

blazingsaddles

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:34:22 pm »
Thats a fine set up, looks really well in red.

Have you adequate heel clearance? I tried the Thorn rack on my Sherpa with the Ortliebs but couldn't get heel clearance unless the fixings where far over to one side.

Regards,
bs

freddered

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:45:13 pm »
What a beast!  Superb. How often do you find yourself just staring at it?

vik

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:51:40 pm »
Very nice...the red frame is striking...you've motivated me to finish working on my Nomad today... ;D

Enjoy the new bike.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

julk

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:58:12 pm »
Fantastic looking bike.

You must be getting very excited about setting off on your trip.

What camera are you using?

Julian

spoon boy

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 03:33:25 pm »
I did have to make sure the ortliebs were as far back as possible to get a good clearance for the feet but also found if I round pack it...i.e the sleeping bag , it draws it outwards rather than longwards giving a few more inches.

staring at it?  it's in my bedroom when not being used... a better ride than most females...oops sorry ladies

The camera was an interesting choice..many have a plain or complex one but as I intend to visit some colder places, the northern lights, tibet etc I saw some reports on camera freeze?  so I've read many other long trip logs and am viewing some camera's this weekend..nearly there and yes I am excited.

I wrongly thought ferries to bilboa were a regular thing.. well they are.. but over the winter the regularity is ...once a month, but now there are two main ferries and destinations quite close...p& o to bilboa or brittany ferries to santander.

blazingsaddles

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 03:50:14 pm »
Haha. Mines in the dining room now and did spend some time in the lounge. I don't know how I get away with it! Its much easier to tweek away in a nice warm room as oppoesed to the shed.

I've done both ferry trips over the years and Brittany ferries to Santander is much quicker. I think 18-20 hours as opposed to P&O which is 35 hours out and 29 hours on the return. At least thats how it was a couple of years ago. It can be VERY choppy the Bay of Biscay so I just go Brit Ferries now.

Regards,
BS

jags

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 04:11:32 pm »
spoonboy i meant to ask why no spd pedals,they make things much more stable, especally when climbing.

spoon boy

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 04:27:29 pm »
Jags

I did contemplate spd's however I know from previous experiences that sandals and flip flops tend to be the footwear of choice for myself.

Plus as with all of the components of the bike there are no high level components.

for example.. the argument steel vs aluminium frame general feeling is there are more chances of finding a steel welder than an ali welder

for that reason I dismissed the rohloff... if it's not mass produced.. you won't have mass experience or avaliability if it goes tits up

all of the basic components I have will be avaliable in the third world as due to cost a top of the range xtr may not be avaliablre say in a very poor area

but the spd's... to be honest..I never could get on with them.. I like freedom of movement too much