Author Topic: Carradice super c  (Read 9200 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Carradice super c
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 08:47:57 pm »
Lookin' good, Jim!  Classic!  Visible!  Rain-protected!

I think you've already found the secret to success with one of these things -- not having it stretched taut across your back by the use of drop handlebars, as I used to run with my Burley Rain Cape copy back in the day.  The cape would draw tight across my back, leaving it soaked from perspiration no matter how open the bottom was.  I always suspicioned I was using it with the wrong bike setup to work properly.  They do work a treat for keeping one dry and ventilated to mid-thigh.  To solve that problem, I went with open-back above-the-knee cycling chaps/booties all-in-one, also by Burley back in their co-op days.  Except for the wet back caused by a too-tight fit, the poncho-cape setup worked well overall except in stiff head- and cross-winds, when I could really feel the increased wind resistance.

For awhile, I went with a Gore-Tex cycling-specific jacket, seatless Gore-Tex knickers (derived from "knickerbockers" rather than ladies' underwear, or what folks other than 'Merkins might describe as 3/4 pants) and Gore-Tex knee-high shoe covers-booties.  That all worked great till the rain-soaked chain and road oil got to the Gore-Tex, rendering it permanently rain-permeable.  <-- See? No such problems with waxed cotton!  ;)

Now, I seem to have success with a urethane-coated waterproof jacket with vented cape and pit-zips above and polymer-treated DWR rain pants below, coupled with shoe covers to keep the cleats nice and dry. <-- Again, a lot of work to try and duplicate the effects of waxed cotton...you'd think I'd learn!  ;D

Best,

Dan.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:06:28 pm by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »
The pro-route cape that I have is polyester with a coating, urethane I presume.

The duxback cape is waxed cotton. That's a dark color - looks green-grey in the photos.

I have never worn my cape on a long ride. On a short ride it is waterproof and ventilated. It does catch the wind, that is certainly a downside. How sweaty would I get over twenty or thirty miles, I don't know.

Recently I dropped some big bucks and got a Showers Pass Elite Mountain jacket, which is made from eVent, I guess rather like Goretex. I had that jacket out on a decently long ride and I got mighty sweaty inside. That was a disappointment.

I was working the census a couple years ago and had to stomp through lots of snow to hang census forms on the door knobs of summer cabins tucked way back in the woods. At first I was wearing some Goretex lined Ecco boots. Snow would come in over the top - it got up mid-thigh depth often enough - and soon I would be hiking with my boots just filled to the top with water. Very unpleasant. Then I switched to my Chippewa leather work boots. Sure, they got thoroughly water-logged. But they would let the water out slowly, so even though my feet were wet, they weren't immersed. I had on polypropylene socks and was staying plenty warm with all that stomping through snow and in those work boots my feet stayed quite happy.

Since then I have acquired some snow shoes... ready for the 2020 census, I guess!

Definitely an interesting problem, how to work with the weather!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 09:22:54 pm »
the big yellow ones

Yeah, I just wear the Carradice pro-route helmet cover. Ortlieb makes a nice rain hat, at least it looks good from the photos. Seems the current model is not quite as uncompromising as the one I remember from a few years ago.

We call such a hat a Sou-wester or Southwester. Not sure if that is just an Americanism. They're great for boaters, fishermen, etc. out on the high seas.

jags

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 10:07:23 pm »
i just tried out the one my son bought me a couple years ago bloody terrible guess i'm to small for such gear ;D ;D

julk

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 11:43:45 pm »
Guys,
I use one of those Pro Route yellow Carradice capes when the weather is wet and no wind - no wind is quite rare round here.
On a calm day it works really well as you ride along in a contained micro-climate, ventilated from the underneath, take it easy and you will stay dry.
Rain can be bouncing off the road and you will still be dry from the knees up. Of course you need a bike fitted with mudguards (fenders to some).

I also have the Carradice helmet cover but found it too small to use with a helmet having a peak. I now use a Vaude helmet cover which is a taped proofed nylon and quite waterproof. I have a choice of 3 colours, my sons having rejected the use of some.

Going slightly off topic, but still with a 'waxed' product…
When it is windy/wet I wear Paramo clothing.
Paramo is the most waterproof/breathable clothing I have encountered.
The only drawbacks are the high initial price and the warmth of the garments.
Paramo use a 'wash in' high tech wax to waterproof the cloth and a liner system which draws moisture outwards from your body.
I only use the Paramo trousers in dire conditions, too warm otherwise even with the vent zips open.
Rainlegs usually suffice to keep my knees and thighs dry and warm.
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 12:36:16 am »
This thread stirred some memories, so I dug through some old photos and found a couple showing me in my "rain jeans", some 34 years ago.  When I was a bicycle-commuting uni student (and appearances didn't matter so much, but money surely did), I tried some solutions to wet legs below the rain cape and came up with the idea of melting paraffin wax into the face of the legs.  It worked wonderfully -- but only where the wax was applied.  Everywhere else  -- including eventually under the paraffin, due to wicking -- I got soaked, as one would expect of riding in the rain while wearing jeans.  Worse, once wet, the paraffin kept them from dryng in any reasonable time frame, so it meant wearing soaking-wet pants all day.

It just seemed such a good idea at the time...!

I think Carradice has it figured, even if I didn't.

Best,

Dan.

TonySmith

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 02:22:48 pm »
+1 for Super C.

I've owned a set of 4 and a rackpack for about 8 years. I've never had a problem with stuff getting wet (not counting a suprisingly deep ford that filled the out pockets of the front ones!), never reproofed and the only problem I've had is that the velcro no longer sticks on the rackpack. I use one of the smaller front panniers on the rear for commuting as this stops me taking too much stuff. It stands up to welsh weather year round and despite being rammed into luggage racks on trains and dragged through the odd hedge it's as good as new, just a bit faded.

Traditional, British made, does the job and seemingly indestructible. Like a Thorn.