Author Topic: Problem fitting deep drop brakes to MK3  (Read 2280 times)

rualexander

Problem fitting deep drop brakes to MK3
« on: November 22, 2009, 08:24:35 pm »
I'm building up a Thorn Audax Mk3 but having a problem with fitting the rear brakes (Miche dual pivot), there doesn't seem to be enough drop, despite them being deep drop (41-57mm). Front fitted ok at maximum drop, but the rears especially on the right side seem to be a few mm short. I haven't really worked with dual pivot brakes before so wonder if there is some adjustment that I am missing?

john28july

Re: Problem fitting deep drop brakes to MK3
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:22 am »
Hello
The model/manufacture of brakes you are using (Ebay cheap?) will fit OK, but you need to file the groove that the block fits in to enable the brake to reach the rim correctly. I know it sounds a bit of a bodge but it does work!
Or you could buy nice Shimano deep drops at the higher price?
John.

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:15:08 pm »
Thanks. I eventually got them adjusted so that they are just ok, but not much room for them once the pads wear down and they may move a bit too close towards the tyre. So I will probably get the file out.
They were not 'Ebay cheap', got them from Wiggle after reading favourable reviews, but they were good value at £17.99!
The drop is the same as Shimano or any other deep drop (57mm) so don't really see what difference that would make?!

brummie

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:25:00 pm »
totally unrelated Q, but:
What size tyre  are you using? I know Thorn don't recomend anything bigger than 28mm, but there seems plenty of room for a 32mm at the back (?)

john28july

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 05:50:37 pm »
Thanks. I eventually got them adjusted so that they are just ok, but not much room for them once the pads wear down and they may move a bit too close towards the tyre. So I will probably get the file out.
They were not 'Ebay cheap', got them from Wiggle after reading favourable reviews, but they were good value at £17.99!
The drop is the same as Shimano or any other deep drop (57mm) so don't really see what difference that would make?!
Hello
I have the same. I also have Shimano which are fitted and are very good fit. The Miche are filed and in a spares box for the same reason as you were asking. The Miche are not the same drop as the Shimano.
John.

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:24:01 pm »
totally unrelated Q, but:
What size tyre  are you using? I know Thorn don't recomend anything bigger than 28mm, but there seems plenty of room for a 32mm at the back (?)

Tyre is Panarace Pasela 700x25, 32's may well fit depending on their actual physical dimensions.

John, I guess Miche 57mm must be different from Shimano 57mm then? Measuring them it certainly seems like they are 57mm. Might get Shimano's eventually but they are quite a bit more expensive. I wanted black which, other than the price, was the reason I got the Miche's.

Anyway here's a picture of the finished article, went for a quick spin this afternoon and very comfortable.

john28july

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:19:42 pm »
Tyre is Panarace Pasela 700x25, 32's may well fit depending on their actual physical dimensions.

John, I guess Miche 57mm must be different from Shimano 57mm then? Measuring them it certainly seems like they are 57mm. Might get Shimano's eventually but they are quite a bit more expensive. I wanted black which, other than the price, was the reason I got the Miche's.

Anyway here's a picture of the finished article, went for a quick spin this afternoon and very comfortable.

Hello
It appears they measure the same but as my spares box shows they are in fact less of a drop which is a shame as the price was nice!
John.