Author Topic: New Thorn Raven!!  (Read 5045 times)

Relayer

New Thorn Raven!!
« on: June 25, 2012, 06:02:43 pm »
Check out the new Thorn Raven, included in the RT/RST brochure.   :o

It is apparently in between the RT and RST in terms of performance, an all-rounder placed between the Nomad and Mercury.  It also has rationalised sizing same as Sherpa Mk3, the same tubing and choice of forks as Sherpa Mk3, and 2 colour choices (Red and Black) the same as the Sherpa Mk3.

Frames expected late July, exciting times indeed!

I am so pleased there will be a continuation of Thorn frames for Rohloffs with the internal changer.   ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New Thorn Raven!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:55:49 pm »
Cool! A Rohloff Sherpa!

Now, if we can just get them to offer a derailleur Nomad Mk2...

Ducking and running,

Dan.

brummie

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:16:29 pm »
Hmm b***er - another contender for my N+1... my 'virtual' Thorn bike collection is getting bigger...

Relayer

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:12:18 pm »
Cool! A Rohloff Sherpa!

Now, if we can just get them to offer a derailleur Nomad Mk2...

Ducking and running,

Dan.

Now now Dan, you can run but you can't hide.  We all know there's a Nomad Mk2 with Rohloff with your name on it.  It might even be the drop dead gorgeous Tonka Yellow variety!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:22:02 pm »
...there's a Nomad Mk2 with Rohloff with your name on it
Really?!? Where?!? I need to start a "Danneaux's Gone (No)Mad" PayPal fund.

Actually, I'd get one in a second if they weren't so hideously expensive to get on this side of the pond. Amidst my Sherpashimmy problems, I have seriously, seriously considered one, read the ink off the brochures, and spec'd them one to the nth degree, but it is just not to be. I figure somewhere in the neighborhood of USD$4,600 delivered by the time one adds the shipping, customs, fee conversions, and other stuff...and if I did that (can't, now or in my foreseeable future), I'd have no mun-mun to go 'venturing with. I'd have no mun-mun to eat. Ah, but I'd be in Rohloff heaven. Who needs food in Rohloff heaven?

It is definitely on my list, though. There's a reason why I keep watching eBay.co.uk...and that topic I started on Rohloff shifting with drop 'bars? Uh-huh. The gears are turning upstairs. As Andre said, "For the advancement of physics!" if nothing else. I...have...Ideas for a Rohloff (and machine shop tools just a-waiting) if I ever get one. You could all pretty well count on at least one alternative shifter coming to fruition. The task is nowhere near as hard or complicated as it seems.

'Just thinking if a derailleur-compatible Nomad Mk2 were available, I could do a frame transplant and call it good for less. Know what I'd really like to see? Just a teeny-tiny change to the existing model. A Nomad Mk2 with a derailleur hanger on the right-rear dropout and one, two, three cable stops and a socket for a BB cable guide, making it the Universal, FutureProof bike and eliminating all concerns by anyone, ever, about a Rohloff failure in the middle of nowhere. If Thorn did that, I'd get my frame transplant and start saving for a hub and shifter (or make one...shifter, not hub). Avaghon do something very similar with their Series 26.0 frames that come with Rohloff sliding dropouts (with der. hanger) and bosses and stops brazed on every frame for the owner's choice of derailleurs, Shimano Nexus/Alfine, or Rohloff. Andy, can we get that new right-rear dropout? We could still keep the eccentric BB.

I uh, I'm "there", Jim. Just gotta win the lottery and since I don't gamble, that could take awhile.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:01:57 am by Danneaux »

philb0412

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:02:31 pm »
Cool, this means that my Raven-not-quite-Nomad will shortly be a collectors item!

This does make sense, as the (old) Raven is very similar to the Nomad, however, I would still choose an old Raven. I wanted the bike primarily for extended touring, mainly on roads or paths but with some occasional broken roads or poor surfaces. But in the future she may become my general commuter/shopping bike (if I have strong enough nerves to let her out of my sight), for which I gather she would be more suitable than a Nomad mk2 (although that might just be what Thorn's marketing wanted me to believe).

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »
Hi Phil!

Whenever a company with a loyal following introduces new products, there is often a reaction of horror and loss by those who already own and love the existing products. The more involved and involving the product, the greater the reaction and sense of loss. Change is...change, and when one already knows and loves one state, the new seems less welcome because it is less familiar.

Your reaction mirrors mine for the retooling of the Sherpa (Mk3), but after a few moments, I realized the new model will be the "only" for any future buyers, and they'll likely be as happy and left in wonderment at why anyone would pine for the old one.

The seems to happen with most tools we use to achieve an end -- old rifles and bird guns, fishing gear, and such (I don't hunt or fish, but my neighbor tells me this). For me it is bicycles. I can't bear to part with my old ones...even those I use less often. I still love my flat-roof '89 Honda Civic Si, filled with racecar parts; always more satisfying to drive a slow car fast than a fast one, slow. The one arena where this doesn't apply is computers. With rare exceptions, when those are replaced by newer! faster! more capacity! we pitch the old ones without a thought or care (so why do I still have three old Macintosh SEs out in the garage? Those go back a ways. Dan the Soggy Sentimentalist).

It will be fun to watch the brochures carefully to see if Andy redesigns, refines, or rationalizes any other models in the Thorn line. It's idle speculation on my part, but I'm guessing as he and Thorn are rationalizing the sizing within individual models, they're also rationalizing the product line as a whole. They're really been very responsive to introducing models to nicely fit individual needs, and it was inevitable models would come to overlap to a degree. Maybe they're pulling back a bit to ensure the choices remain a bit more distinct.

Let's keep our eyes peeled for any other new changes or additions.
...in the future she may become my general commuter/shopping bike (if I have strong enough nerves to let her out of my sight)
There's no more chilling thought to ponder, and leaving the bike with a full touring load on it while I resupply remains one of my big concerns while touring solo.

Best,

Dan.

Kuba

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 05:16:43 pm »
Cool, this means that my Raven-not-quite-Nomad will shortly be a collectors item!

This does make sense, as the (old) Raven is very similar to the Nomad, however, I would still choose an old Raven.

Well, it depends! In case of my Raven there will be very small difference, as far as I can see. It's the same 969 gauge for all sizes and crucially the largest sizes for us big boys will have the same extra oversize tubeset and 40 kg max load. The only difference is the chainstay, which will be around 1 cm shorter, but if this is going to change the handling much I don't know. With different geometry and the 853 forks it may feel a tiny bit nippier perhaps, which would make sense as this is my only complaint against the Raven! But, with the ST forks the larger sizes will be very similar to the Old Raven, I think (what a nice new name for my bike, by the way).

That said, it is a good idea to introduce two different forks. Then the New Raven can still work as an adventure touring bike with ST forks, and day ride / weekend camping bike with 853. Also smaller riders will undoubtedly benefit from less overbuilt frames. Since coming back from the Himalayas I can hardly justify this beefy tubeset on my XL bike! ;)

philb0412

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »
Yeah I understand what you are saying Dan. I'm not upset though, I already have one; and I don't plan on buying another touring bike for a long while now, with luck!

I was just saying that my needs fell into one of the 'irrational' categories. I'm sure the new Ravens are brilliant machines, as are the Nomads, just that I'm glad I got an old Raven

I want to elaborate more on my prevention of fear of theft so will start a new topic Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:11 pm »
I want to elaborate more on my prevention of fear of theft so will start a new topic Dan.
Perfect! Can't wait to see it, Phil.

Best,

Dan.