Author Topic: Adjusting EBB  (Read 1688 times)

in4

Adjusting EBB
« on: September 03, 2023, 10:24:10 am »
What does 10-17nm ‘feel’ like? I don’t have a torque wrench with me atm and don’t want to either over or under torque. Hand tight? Less? More? Apologies for the vagueness. TIA.

geocycle

Re: Adjusting EBB
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 05:24:32 pm »
Pretty tight.  If it’s the usual big aluminium block with pointed bolts and you are on the thick side you will not do much damage.  The   main thing with EBB adjustment is to make as few changes as possible so you don’t have divots that could join together and allow it to slip.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 06:41:27 pm »
One way to visualise the force required is that a Newton is approximately an apple (~1/10th of a kg). 10Nm is the bending moment of 10 apples (1kg) on a one meter level or, by proportion, 5kg on a 20cm long spanner or 10kg on a 10cm long spanner, etc.

in4

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 07:49:36 pm »
Many thanks for the useful replies. I can ‘visualise’ what the Nm should be. Pretty tight is a reasonable reference point for me. As a side-thought I wondered why Thorn decided to make their own EBB when Bushnell already make one (different way of securing the EBB too)

FIO

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bushnells+ebb&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

PH

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 09:09:56 pm »
If anyone gives such a vague torque measurement as 10 -17 the first thing to realise is it doesn't need to be precise. Like geocycle says, it's quite tight without being silly about it.
Thorn decided to make their own EBB when Bushnell already make one (different way of securing the EBB too)
They require more maintenance and even with that they're prone to creaking.  I had one on a Cannondale, it was a large part of the reason I got rid of it, and I couldn't sell it with a clear conscience without pointing out I'd been unable to stop the creak for more than a couple of hundred miles at a time.
My favorite type of EBB is the clamp style Thorn now use, though there's nothing wrong with the set screw type.