Author Topic: Bent Rohloff external gear mech!  (Read 5351 times)

peterh

Bent Rohloff external gear mech!
« on: October 06, 2007, 06:36:25 pm »
Hi. While cleaning my bike (Thorn Raven Enduro) I noticed that the external gear mech is just touching the brake disk - it's bent inwards from the axle!

I've been on a few rides where I heard a slight rubbing sound - I assumed it was the disk pads, but it must have been the bent external mech. There doesn't seem to be a problem changing gear - although perhaps it's a bit stiff. I guess I should fix this?

1/ Has anyone else ever bent a Rohloff external gear mech?

2/ Any idea how difficult it is to change the external mech on a Rohloff? It looks complicated in the manual removing the axle place etc. I'm not that mechanically talented.

Don't know when I did this - must have given it a hell of a whack - but I can't think when I did it.

Thanks.

peterh

Re: Bent Rohloff external gear mech!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:59:22 pm »
Problem solved. It's not that difficult to change the external mech if anyone's interested - but it cost me 50 quid for the spare part from SJSC - still cheaper than an derailer I reckon. Still can't believe I managed to bend it - it's a chunky bit of metal...

Mugtree

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:59:32 am »
Hiya

I've just done the same

I dropped my bike off the garden table onto a wall!  I was going to see if I could bend it back into shape but after reading Peter's post I think I'd better order a new part.
For once in your life stop being rubbish!

peterh

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 02:05:05 pm »
Good to know I'm not the only one who can do this :-) This position for the mech looks a bit prone to this problem in my opinion.

When I ordered the new part it was slightly different to the old one. The old mech had a hole drilled into it which mated with a grub screw in the hub. The new mech had this hole blanked off - which meant I had to remove the grub screw from the hub. Bit odd because a new grub screw was supplied with the new mech - but as far as I can see - it was unusable. Just telling you this in case it's useful - I didn't notice at first and the mech went on crooked.

vik

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:04:09 am »
Hiya

I've just done the same

I dropped my bike off the garden table onto a wall!  I was going to see if I could bend it back into shape but after reading Peter's post I think I'd better order a new part.

Hey Mugtree - I'm going to post one of these pics [with credit to you] on my Surly Big Dummy Blog [www.viks-bigdummy.com] as a heads up to other Rohloff users to watch out for this problem.  If that's not okay with you just drop me a line and I'll take the pic down.

cheers,

Vik
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:20:37 am by vik »
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

ALMEIDA

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:27:01 pm »
peterh

think you got an old gear mech or they forgot to drill the hole. The current gear mechs should have the hole. The first versions didn't have it.
It's an additional way to seal the hub.

If the gear mech is bend - don't buy a new one. Try to rebend it. Fix it in a bench vice and hit the mech with a rubber mallet.
I did - and it still works properly.

ALMEIDA

Mugtree

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:12 am »
Hiya Vik

Sorry for not getting back to you, yes of course you can use the pics.  I'll check out your site when I get home - can't get access at work  :(
For once in your life stop being rubbish!