Author Topic: Help for a very new Little Lady cyclist please!  (Read 2236 times)

n/a

Help for a very new Little Lady cyclist please!
« on: December 09, 2006, 04:05:12 pm »
Hi

Can anyone offer some advice help please   I am only 5' 2" tall and have terrible trouble trying to find a bike suitable.  I have seen that Thorn do/did a 475s frame for Audax Classic frame in which I am interested, and am thinking of attempting to build a bike for myself.

Sorry to be so blonde but I see that the specs say 26" wheels, I normally use a bike that has 700 size wheels and Campag 10spd 12/25 cassette and compact chainset 10 spd 34/50 170 crankset - would it be possible to transfer these to the Thorn Audax Classic?  CAn anyone recommend any 26" wheels (not too dear) that would be suitable please?[:I]

goosander

Re: Help for a very new Little Lady cyclist please!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:57:05 am »
As far as I can tell the Audax Classic is a 700C bike so you should be able to use your existing wheels. The spec sheet suggests that the smallest size is a 500, I don't see any mention of a 475s or of 26" wheels.

Perhaps there used to be a 475 size with 26" wheels - I imagine it must be tricky building a frame of that size around 700C wheels.  Probably the best thing to do is ring up and ask.

n/a

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:03:29 pm »
THanks for your help.  This is what the info said from sjs advert:

Thorn 531C Audax Classic

Fast Touring Solo Bike Frame - accepts 26" (559) wheels

and 47-57 Allen Key Calliper Brakes.

Size: 475S has a short top tube and is specifically designed for people

who are short with short legs. (4ft 10" - 5ft 2")

- will do as you suggest and ring SJS, but my guess is like you say the frame is far too small for 700 wheels - not easy being small!!   Many thanks for helping

Elisenda

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 07:07:15 pm »
Where did you find this info? I've searched for it on sjscycles web but couldn't find it.

Have you looked at the Audax 853? (http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/audax853.html). The smallest size (495S) has a virtual top tube lenght of only 500mm and it's designed for 700c wheels. But I imagine it's quite more expensive than the 531C you've seen, Reynolds 853 is top class!

I'm only 5ft 1", I asked about the Audax 853 to Thorn and they told me that the smallest size should suit me fine.

I own a Raven Adventure Tour from 2004. The top tube is only 490mm, I use flat bars but some times I wish I had drops... so the Audax shouldn't be a problem.

Haven't decided yet for the Audax, I'm now so used to Rohloff! A Mercuy with drops and light wheels is my dreamt bike... but it's so expensive!