Author Topic: My Raven Tour. 3500 miles on (11,000 miles on)  (Read 111225 times)

sweats

Re: My Raven Tour. 3500 miles on (11,000 miles on)
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2014, 09:05:41 pm »
Does he fit them back to front if you see what I mean (front right on front left)?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:10:18 pm by sweats »

geocycle

« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2014, 09:08:56 pm »
Are they avid ultimates which have a reversible noodle?

Donerol

« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2014, 11:37:54 pm »
Does he fit them back to front if you see what I mean (front right on front left)?
It doesn't make any difference - I've tried!

Yes, he mentioned that upthread - so that is the answer.  I didn't know you could gets brakes with a reversible noodle - shame about the price  :( .

Thanks!

freddered

« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2014, 04:20:55 pm »

To confirm - Yes, they are AVID Ultimate. Reversible "Noodle" and proper bearings.  Very smooth, very powerful.

Are they worth it?  Absolutely.  A high quality item, expensive if you don't intend to keep the bike for life but cheap if you do.  A noticeable improvement on the supplied Shimanos.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:51:48 pm by freddered »

freddered

« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2014, 04:45:33 pm »
How did the audax go ?   I was also planning a 200k+ ride and thought I'd use my RST.

Time to be honest.  The Audax didn't go well.  I abandoned after 120km, after a long climb out of Lynmouth and Lynton.

1) I was picking up a cold, nothing serious, just enough I think to knock my fitness back by 5%-10%.

2) I haven't got my fitness back for seriously hilly rides like this yet (There are several long, long climbs...and steep, in Devon).

3) The Thorn wasn't ideal.  Yes, I know..heresy on the Thorn Forum but let me explain.

My Raven Tour is a heavy bike, with heavy tyres but with very low gears when I need them.  I thought the low gears would outweigh the heavy bike and heavy tyres (so to speak).
In reality I didn't ever get to use the lowest 2 gears and it all felt a bit ponderous trying to keep up with the lighter road bikes.
Schwalbe Marathon 26x1.5" tyres do not spin-up long steep climbs.  When you are carrying a heavy camping load this is all irrelevant as the extra weight of the bike is lost in the overall scheme of things and the slow pace of loaded touring.

My Raven Tour is absolutely perfect for carrying luggage around the world, I'd have no hesitation using it for a round-the-world trip.

The front-end handling actually improves when you hang Low-Rider panniers off it (It's rather twitchy otherwise, surprisingly).

It's also a perfect bike if you only ever need one bike for everything (although, if you never intend to go fully-loaded touring, you should look at a lighter Thorn Rohloff bike)

I've done 100km, 200km, 300km & 600km Audaxes on it but generally I was riding alone, at my own, Raven, pace.  In a group of Fast Tourers and Carbon road bikes you just can't keep up and, in my constant attempt to keep up, I burnt out.
I'm sure the ride is possible if I addressed (1) and (2) above but only if I stuck to my own pace, which is largely dictated by riding a bomb-proof Global Tourer.

In the end I rode 120km and climbed 2500metres, which is a not insignificant amount of climbing in such a short distance.

That's me at the front, climbing to the top of Exmoor..it's a very long drag to get there but the most amazing descent down to Lynmouth harbour.

Me from the reverse angle.  Yes, I am completely finished at this point.

And finally, me, 10 minutes before I said "enough of all this Devon climbing, I'm heading for Barnstaple Train Station".
This is the Toll Road out of Lynton, en-route to Combe Martin.
My friends had plenty of time to take photos as they patiently waited for me.  If you listen carefully you can hear me swearing "F***ing Devon!"
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:47:17 pm by freddered »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2014, 05:56:54 pm »
Wonderful photos and a terrific effort, Fred'; I think you did well given the coming head-cold, the hills, and the pace whilst astride a bike not best suited for that task. 120km in *those* hills? Respect -- big-time!

Loved the followup report.

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2014, 06:06:48 pm »
2500 m of climbing! That is monstrous! My biggest day was a couple years ago and more like 1500 m. Near the end I was sitting by the side of the road for a quick snack and a fellow driving by stopped to ask whether he should call an ambulance!

My Nomad is very nice for slow and steady but forget keeping up with anybody else, especially on the hills!

freddered

« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »
2500 m of climbing! That is monstrous! My biggest day was a couple years ago and more like 1500 m.

Well it's all relative to the distance you ride I suppose.  1500m in 150km is an average of 1% as is 6000m in 600km. 1% and less is fairly benign.

Anything above 1.5% I'd call strenuous, anything above 1.9% I'd call extremely challenging.

That's based on a spreadsheet of many rides I have kept, ranging from 50km - 600km rides. 

I would think long and hard before I attempted a ride of >200km with an average gradient >2%, especially around Hampshire/Wiltshire because the hills are usually short and sharp.  The same climbing in Wales can be done on longer, less steep, hills which suit my lardy build better.
I wouldn't be concerned at all about any distance with an average gradient of <1%.

jags

« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2014, 07:33:14 pm »
when i cycled with the group on my sherpa i suffered like a dog when the speed went up many a time i took the short cut home on my todd its called using the head.well done fred you rode until you droped hard as feckin nails. ;)

anto.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2014, 08:53:43 pm »
I've been using MapMyRide.com to track my rides. Going back to look at that big ride... the elevation gain it gives me now is 2800 feet whereas when I first plotted it, it said 4100 feet. Over 70 miles it should be pretty easy either way, by your rating. 50 feet of climbing per mile actually should be reasonable. I get the idea that MapMyRide gives flaky numbers!

What do you use to tally up the climbing on a ride?

It was though one gnarly hill that really took it out of me:

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/delhi-ny/pepacton-double-bonus-route-96862877

sg37409

« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2014, 11:37:17 pm »
Nae luck but good effort anyway. I did a hilly 200 on my RST and stuck with my usual groups. Managed it for a while but dropped off them (mercifully) to finish on my own miles back. I walked up a hill for the 1st time on an audax, and also had a lie down in a bus shelter. Such is the effort of staying in a group on a RST on a long hilly ride. 

I was more confident I'd be ok on the RST on my recent solo 230k, and I was, but the speed was very slow (18.2 kph)
Its a really nice ride if you take your time, but if I try to hurry it along, I'll suffer. I'd assume the RT is like this only more so.

freddered

« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2014, 12:18:48 pm »
What do you use to tally up the climbing on a ride?

I plot it in FUGAWI.

Ascent is one of those things it's unwise to compare with people, especially if they use different tools to measure it.
Some GPS devices are wildly innacurate, as proved on many rides where 2 devices can be out of synch by hundreds of metres.

I've always used FUGAWI so my figures are consistent...but just for me (and any other FUGAWI users).

freddered

« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2014, 12:26:27 pm »
I'd assume the RT is like this only more so.

I think so.

It hurts me to criticise my RT but it's quite ponderous when compared to even a lightweight tourer (never mind a Carbon Road bike).

Although the shifter position is fine for leisurely touring it really doesn't lend itself to making regular, quick, shifts on steep and undulating terrain.  Some Devon climbs were so sudden and steep that I was nervous about letting go of the bar to reach for the shifter.

I'll stop now because it sounds like the RT is a hopeless bike when, in truth, it's perfect...for what it was designed for.

I made an error of judgement, that I paid for, all day, when I tried to make it do something it just wasn't built for.  I shall be re-attaching all the Racks and Low-riders this weekend, ready for it's Normandy mini-tour in September.

Seriously, the moment you hang 4 panniers off the RT, and load up the rack, it suddenly transforms into the most perfect bike for the job possible.  Hard to imagine that adding so much weight improves the handling of anything but it really does.

freddered

« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2014, 12:39:52 pm »
Just to remind myself that it is perfect at what it was designed for...and to remind me where I'll be going later this year...

Here it is being perfect in Deauville, Normandy.

And here being perfect as I approach the Pont du Normandie

And here is what I was taking a photo of.  It was steeper than it looks but no problem for a loaded RT.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:42:32 pm by freddered »

freddered

« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2014, 12:53:17 pm »
And...from a similar French mini-tour the year before..

Here's my mate Pete, on his similarly-loaded (but flat bar) Raven Tour on the West coast of the Cherbourg peninsula.  Absolutely perfect cycling country.  Lots of respect and interest from the locals and local drivers.  Quiet roads and even quieter beaches.

Note.  Pete ordered his RT immediately after riding mine around the company car park for 5 minutes.